Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A couple questions

Sorry it seems I am posting too much :( I just have a couple of questions before I begin my switch to raw…

Side effects? Any normal or any to be concerned about? Will I be sick while my body is detoxing? I tried searching but didn’t really find what I was looking for.

Should the switch be gradual? I’m used to eating a lot of processed/fatty foods and I don’t know if I should FAST first, or just start eating SOME raw foods or just go for it and switch over completely.

Sorry I am just nervous and want to do what is best for my body. THANKS!!

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i think it all depends on how you were eating, if you are already vegan it shouldn’t be too bad. if you are a coffee drinker expect some headaches. i tried to take about 4 days off just so i could rest if i needed to.

maybe start with raw breakfast and lunch first and continue eating cooked dinner.

remember to eat ALOT in the beginning, don’t feel bad about it, try to stay full, it helps.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Wish I could help, but I haven’t eaten fast food since the 70’s probably long before you were born… I was a vegetarian and ate nothing processed… My transition was easy, the only side effects I noticed was gas and many bm’s… Oh and breaking out on my face… All were cleared up within a month or so… I did not detox, someone here can better help you with that… The best thing for you to do, in my opinion is to go slow and add something raw each time you eat and try to get as mamy different varieties of fruits and veges as possible… The nuts and seeds added to your smoothies and salads stop the hunger… Good luck with your new journey!!!

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

hi Daisychick—I think one of the most important things to remember is to be patient and be kind to yourself! Whether you decide to try to make the transition gradually or overnight, realize that for almost everyone the transition often feels like two steps forward, one step back (or maybe I’m just generalizing my own experience!!) For me, one of the easiest steps was to eat a raw breakfast. This meal was easiest for me because I felt totally satisfied just having a few pieces of fresh fruit—no need for fancy recipes or equipment, easy to keep on hand, quick to prepare and even possible to eat on the run for those mornings when I’m running late.

One other thing: remember it doesn’t have to be all or nothing, even for a single meal. So if you feel like you need to have a little something cooked with dinner, don’t feel like that means the meal is suddenly not part of your raw lifestyle! Have a salad and some fruit for dessert to really easily incorporate some raw food!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi Daisy Chick, Just take it as slow or as fast as you feel. If you want to go on a fast first then give it a go and see how it feels. Personally I would start off by introducing a green smoothie every day. This is a blended drink made of about 60% fruit and 40% greens. My favourite is apples and spinach. This will help you balance and make your body crave more raw foods.

Also stop all processed food and go vegan. Cook your own cooked food meals don’t buy them pre made or at the takeaway. Pre made food and junk food has MSG in it which is highly addictive, it would help you to break the addiction to processed food first. So you don’t yo yo raw with junk.

Try to make a couple of decadent raw food recipes every week so you can build up a stock of recipes that you know you like. If you do this then you will naturally and gradually be drawn to more and more raw food.

If this gentle approach doesn’t work after about 3 months, and you find yourself trailing and yo yoing back to processed foods then maybe a fast would be a good move. Why not try it the gentle way first and see how it goes?

I transitioned by eating whatever I felt like eating as long as it was raw. I made lots of recipes and totally indulged myself. I enjoyed all the high fat, dehydrated raw recipes. Then after a couple of years I naturally and intuitively went to a more simple greens and fruit based raw food.

I like fasting one day a week instead of one big long one less regularily. I reckon that the raw food will detox you plenty without fasting, just stopping eating meat, dairy and fast food will give you enough of a detox to begin with.

If the detox gets too much for you then you can eat cooked food and it will stop.

Be sure to keep us posted on your journey!

• It sounds like you should gradually turn to the raw diet, I’m a vegetarian and generally used to a very ogranic diet but the raw is still hard and confusing for me I’d say I;m only 50% at the moment but would like to raise that percentage soon but still gradually. Don’t at all feel bad for posting lots it’s good it helps you and others. =]

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

one way to go is – lots of green smoothies, and start with eating only vegan and no processed foods. once you get used to this, for me the transition to raw was very very easy. this was after 1 year of eating all vegan, 50% raw. stay positive, and don’t be hard on yourself. just get excited about raw recipes, and keep this excitement going. after a while, you’ll be so excited about your next raw meal that you’ll forget about all things cooked.