Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who still hates a vegetable?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Okay, as much as I hate to admit it, I don’t like all vegetables (and some fruits). The smell of durian still sends me to the bathroom, the gummy texture of mushrooms continues to make me feel like I’m masticating slugs, and the taste of a plain tomato still makes me grimace. I’ve tried incorporating these foods into other recipes, and so far, I like tomatoes when juxtaposed with other flavors, but mushrooms in anything just taste awful to me. I also find cucumbers to be mundane and watery…nothing that would send me craving for them . On a lighter note, I now love some raw foods that I used to hate, such as: peas, sprouts, oats, raisins, pears, lettuce, brown rice, zucchini, and bell peppers. I began to slowly eat more and more of these and I guess most of them were acquired tastes for me, because now I can’t get enough of them!

What can I do to start favoring mushrooms, tomatoes, and cucumbers? Is there something I can add to them to enhance their good qualities? Will eating more and more of them allow me to slowly grow a liking for them?

I’d like to hear about everyone’s favorite and least favorite veggies (or fruits) and how you have or haven’t broken the barrier of acquired tastes.

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

have you tried shiitake’s? they are loaded with b vitamins and minerals.

maybe try some recipes that require a food processor, so you get the flavor, but without the texture.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I still can’t tolerate eggplant or cilantro. I have tried and tried but just can’t do it.

I haven’t tried durian but have heard of its “unique” smell. I am not sure I could get past the smell either.

I eat mushrooms now in salads and love them. I don’t eat them alone but can eat them if I mix them. Sprouts, I love sprouts. Nearly all kinds of sprouts. I just ordered several new seed so that I can try more.

• I love almost all fruits and veg, but oh my God, I tasted durian the other day and it was nauseating. Never again!

• FeeFee Raw Master

I hate green beans! I like most other fruit and veg to varying degrees. Weirdly I much prefer raw sweetcorn to it being cooked.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I used to hate tomatos, and I couldn’t even eat any because I would gag, but now I like them chopped up in a salad with avocado. I still can’t eat them all by themselves yet, though. I like to marinate my mushrooms in olive oil, some lemon juice, and cayenne before eating them (usually in a salad), but I think all mushrooms except shiitake are kind of gross raw.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I used to dislike tomatoes too, until I discovered grape tomatoes. Those things are so sweet that they don’t seem like a tomato to me at all, and I eat them in salad.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I love cherry tomatoes! I used to hate raw broccoli, even marinated, or whatever. Then I made a sort of “stir-fry” sauce – very sweet, almost like a sweet & sour sauce – and I loved it on a huge pile of raw brocoli and other veggies. After a couple of weeks, I lost my taste for it, and I am back to no broccoli. There is a recipe on this site for “grilled meat” using mushrooms, but really, if a certain veggie doesn’t appeal to you, maybe you don’t really need it? (I have been pretty healthy without eating much broccoli for almost 3 years.)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

If you buy things directly from a farm, all veggies will taste much better than store bought. In fact, I avoided tomatoes this winter because they didn’t taste like the ones from the farm last year.

Luckily I don’t have this problem … I LOVE all fruits and vegetables. some, more than others of course.

• i HATE celery, cannot stand it at all. cucumber and parsley i will tolerate depending on what it’s in. i also can’t handle any cilantro in anything, to me it tastes like soap. i’ve heard that everyone’s palate is sensitive to different flavour chemicals, but that you can train yourself to like something, though i’m not sure why you would.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Sweet potatoes bring back bad memories and I can’t make myself eat one now. My mom used to bake them with brown sugar and marshmallows and I had an experience at the table that I will leave you guessing about! I was never told to clean my plate again. I’m not crazy about cucumbers by themselves either, but I like them blended in soups.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i grew up hating some veggies and I have to say radishes and turnips are not my favorites. but I do agree with winona, eating from local sources has been a great way to enjoy food at a new level. tomatoes from a store do not compare to fresh off the vines ones.

what is durian? never tried or heard of it.

• industry grown mushrooms like button mushrooms totally gross me out. however, I love wild mushrooms such as portobello, crimini, chanterelle and shittake.

I’m not a big fan of big chunks of raw tomato by itself. I have to use it with other things, and either pulverize it or tiny pieces – then, I love it.

I am also not a fan of eggplant.

I was an incredibly picky eater as a child. I find the raw food diet actually helps me a great deal to avoid the “oogies” I have had about various foods in the past.

• I love every veggie and fruit now. However I didn’t like pineapples, pears, and melons as a child. I think I’m kinda lucky because my mom gave us sliced veggies and fruits to snack on, and they were so colorful that me and my sister ate a lot of them. When my mom was peeling the vegs for the soup I always asked for the carrot and cabbage!

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

i hate avocadoes. They make me feel wierd. Sorry for those who love it! I know alot of people on this love them!!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I pretty much love every thing! ESPECIALLY avocado! Durian is pointless, dragon fruit is BORING! Pretty, but boring. I WUUUUUV cilantro, it’s my fave herb

I love cooked eggpant, but I always thought uncooked was nasty and bitter, so I have never tried it raw!

Oh and zucchini rocks!! SOOOOO versitile!!!

• Cauliflower always makes me ill; it won’t go down my throat. When I tried it raw with a curry sauce my eyes watered and I gagged.

Even the family rabbit hates it. He’ll push the offensive vegetable out of his dish and roll it into a corner where it can’t hurt anyone.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

What is going on with the site?

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I used to hate tomatoes (years ago), I slowly tolerated them from having farm fresh, then I found roma/plum, and grape tomatoes! Completely different. Romas have a slightly sweeter taste and they don’t seep juice everywhere. That was what I liked the best. My main disgust for tomatoes as a child was texture. I hated mushy seeping tomatoes. Pesticides didn’t help.

Portabella mushrooms aren’t so gooey, you might try those. They are firmer and tastyyyy.

cucumbers are great in juices/smoothies I think. They can either be hidden or they can be highlighted beautifully. I love “lemonade” with cuccumber or cuccumber juice. Or limeade or any other fruit juice/puree. It’s so light and cooling. It does depend on what variety of cuccumbers your grocery store/farmers market sells as well. Some are very cuccumber-y, and some are sweeter and “softer”. The crisp tasting cuccumbery ones are my downfall. They are so great with dill on bread. I love tea sandwiches. Probably because I love tea.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Mushrooms are freakin’ distgusting. I have hated them my whole life, but I decided to try this recipe with them the other day, ya know, give ‘em another chance. TERRIBLE. I officially will always hate the things!

• I CANNOT eat raw broccoli. I adore it steamed, though. And I used to despise avocado, but now they’re my favorite.

• i love cucumbers, tomatoes and mushrooms, but can’t deal with raw eggplant (i did like it cooked) durian (i can almost like it, but can’t get past that smell either) or aloe. just got some aloe and tried to eat it. could NOT deal! soo slimy and weird.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m the idiot who decided to juice arugula and drink it. Just arugula. It was spicy, bitter, and uggggh. Now, I can only eat very tiny amounts of it in salad.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I love the grape tomateos as well. I can’t wait until the summer brings out the tomatoes from my garden. I am not fond of the store bought ones. They taste like cardboard.