Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

SURVIVAL- Food Crisis!!! SUPERFOODS and more

Well, I beleive this can be an exceptionally good topic since the upcoming times we are headed to should be fairly interesting. Here is a short summation of what is going on: PREPARE..FOR. HARD..TIMES..AHEAD.. .Any person watching the evening news can see it coming.. ..Those who prefer to keep their head in the sand so they don’t have to.. Consider the facts, will no doubt call us fear mongers, and not prepare. H O W E V E R Our grain reserves are at their lowest since World War II Due to high prices caused by shortages abroad, our stockpiles of grain are now being exported fifteen times faster than expected, and we have committed to sell ALL of it to foreign countries, leaving our own wheat reserves at the lowest level since 1946, when we had half the current population to feed. In fact, it seems our farmers have probably committed to sell more grain to foreign countries than they’ve actually planted !! . To make matters worse, America’s farmers have switched to growing corn for ethanol, in place of food grade crops. Couple this with worldwide damage to farmlands and crops from droughts and floods, and it’s obvious that the worst will come this summer. These two ABC news articles confirm the above: February 5: . .http://abcnews.go.Com/Business/wireStory?id=426… February 8: . .http://abcnews.go.Com/Business/wireStory?id=426… The shortage of ALL grains, even hay, is so severe that we now have horses starving – even dying – in Kentucky, Tennessee, and at least five other Southeastern states; The price of hay has doubled, even tripled. Grain wholesalers from as far away as Central Kentucky are getting calls every day from people all over the eastern part of the United States looking for hay. Horses are being abandoned on federal land, and even in city parks. People are literally giving them away. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/26/eveni… Rush For Biofuels Threatens Starvation On A Global Scale “The rush towards biofuels is threatening world food production and the lives of billions of people, the Governments Chief Scientific Adviser said yesterday. Professor John Beddington put himself at odds with ministers who have committed Britain to large increases in the use of biofuels over the coming decades. In his first important public speech since he was appointed, he described the potential impacts of food shortages as the elephant in the room; a problem which rivaled that of climate change.” http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environme…

The Sunday Times Says – We Are Running Out ! (U.K. Times) “THE WORLD is only ten weeks away from running out of wheat supplies after stocks fell to their lowest levels for 50 years. The crisis has pushed prices to an all-time high and could lead to further hikes in the price of bread, beer, biscuits and other basic foods.” Half Our Bees Have Died ! Half of America’s honeybees are now dead and gone! So, do not expect abundant fruits, nuts, and vegetable crops as they will drop to as little as thirty (30) percent of normal production, for lack of pollination! Per CBS - Sixty Minutes, Feb. 24, 2008. See: .http://WWW.cbsnews.Com/stories/2007/10/25/60min… Summation: Without grain, livestock cannot be fed. Without livestock there is no meat. Without bees, vegetables and fruit cannot grow. Without all three, a nation cannot survive.

My Question is, before this happens (its long past the question of when or if this will happen) what survival foods would you recommend stocking up on. Super foods come to mind, grains, nuts and seeds which can be stored also. But particularly which ones and why? Thanks for your help!!

Be joyous…

Comments

• Be joyous!?

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I think we are going to have to get back to locally growing food crops. Even in town, your lawn can become a garden and many communities have CSA’s that you can join. The goofy weather could be a factor but at least if you are growing some of your own food you can water in a drought. I think seeds like hemp and chia would be good because of the ideal balance of FA’s and they are a good protein source (as are pumpkin seeds). I live in rural western Pa and hve thought about a greenhouse, but the $ to build is a factor. I actually bought a bunch of old windows for $100 with the intention of building a small greenhouse. It is just me and my hubby so volume shouldn’t be too much of an issue, just figuring out how to plant in succession so we always have some greens. I try to support seed co.’s that use organic and open pollinated varieties to thwart monsanto’s crap. I rarely buy any seeds in the store. I don’t seed save, but I could if I needed to. I only rarely turn on my TV, but I had heard a little of what you are talking about. I just didn’t realize it was so bad. I thought using corn for ethanol was a bad idea to begin with because of the food issue, plus it is a demanding crop to grow and you just know they aren’t growing it organically so there goes tons more inorganic fertilizer and pesticides into the ground water!. There are other ways of producing ethanol from waste products of other industries so if they continue on with this ethanol business, hopefully, they will go in that direction. I thought it was a mistake from the get go that we allowed our ability to grow enough food to feed our nation to fall by the wayside and instead depend on importation. The number of farmer’s that we now have is shockingly low and they are quite aged. I believe the average age is in the 50’s (?). Anyway, I would start developing relationships with any nearby farms so that you have a source for seasonal, local fare and I’m sure foraging is a possibility.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

sigh why now? I was hoping that the terrible, tragic things would befall the world once I was dead and gone … what, is a short term perspective so bad – heck, i dont have any kids, so I don’t care. This veg fruit crisis is super scary. Yipes!!!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yeah, I really have to learn to grow my own food.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yeah, I really have to learn to grow my own food.

• Again, I highly recommend- to everyone- getting the short series of books “Handbook for a New Paradigm” from www.nomorehoaxes.com to see what we must do in order to prevent, or at least minimize, the uglieness that is about to occur because of all these facts you’ve listed Marcus.

We can change it, but we each have to change our thinking to positive and open in order for the new paradigm to take place.

A really good source for gardening type info is Mother Earth News and I think you can access all of the magazine info from their website. Lots of DIY info. I love the magazine.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

flax seeds store for a long time and have a lot of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Hard red or white wheat (if stored properly in a bucket with a gasket in the lid or a sealed metal can – oxygen absorber in either case) will last 30 years or more in a cool dry place. Wheat also increases protein when it is sprouted, and can be used to grow wheatgrass for juicing. Most herbs, spices, superfoods, supplements, etc. lose their potency after about 2 years. Save your seeds from organic/heirloom varieties of fruits and vegetables. And yes, be joyous! Some guy I used to know always said, “If you worry, you’ll die. If you don’t worry, you’ll still die. So, don’t worry!” Makes sense!

• I’m generally skeptical about the news when it makes proclamations like this. It sounds like fear-mongering from the Republican-Right-Pro-Fossil-Fuel crowd to me. “We’ll all starve, if we don’t continue to use fossil fuel!”

I wouldn’t worrytoo much. A lot of people make a lot of money out of providing food, too. They have a vested interest in continuing to do so.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

worry and fear makes our bodies acidic. Think prosperity and positive, this could mean a positive change away from SAD toward more sustainable living. Could even mean people wake up and stop eating meat which would help everything. If American’s ate 10% less meat then there’s be enough food to stop 1.6 million people starving each year…

Why are the news stories focusing on bio fuel when it is meat production which is really to blame? Growing crops to feed meat and dairy animals, and using vast amounts of water to feed them is sheer lunacy. Especially when it is those very meat and dairy products which are causing that other ‘crisis’ – health crisis, obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease…

The statistics associated with a meat based diet are mind boggling aren’t they! Also if you are into the law of attraction/manifesting thing, worry and fear about a situation will bring on more of the same. Concentrate on the positive aspect. ie. don’t be anti-war, be pro peace. Just a thought.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wow, I had no idea it was ‘this bad’ either… but, the media can tend to exaggerate. (I don’t watch TV… just read The Journal.. I don’t think they make it sound this bad… yet.)

RIGHT ON Zoe!!! Extremely well said. And I agree about fear breeding more fear. It’s a news network based on keeping the public fearful.

RIGHT ON Zoe!!! Extremely well said. And I agree about fear breeding more fear. It’s a news network based on keeping the public fearful.

• WOW, thank you all for the great replies! I would like to try to answer most of you. I think deborahann had a great reply based on my question. Most everyone else went on a tangent. I specifically wrote, “be joyous” at the end for a reason. Im not here to scare anyone, I am here to inform everyone. If a volcano burst out smoke and I come and tell you the volcano is erupting soon so you might want to do something about it, responding with “hey think positive” is a little strange to me. I am thinking positive! I’m positive that the volcano will erupt and I’m also positive that informing you would be a good thing ( I am also positive that eating meat is the main problem! Watch the movie “Eating”. thanks Zoe). I am growing in my back yard a variety of food and I do buy organic and local, My question though is what particular foods in such a matter would be good for survival. thanks

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Thanks healthymacus for the question and well said Zoe!!! I believe Hemp, Chia, Blue-Green Algae, Aloe Vera… Plant and harvest Spinach, kale, Beets, Tomatoes, Carrots, Sun Flowers and Herbs of choice. Befriend a Vegetable Farmer and HELP him/her with the crops… Collect and dry the seeds for next year…

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Thanks!!!

healthymarcus – I got it. I once heard someone say something like “Expect the best but prepare for the worst.” I live on a major fault line and so I store things like grains, seeds, nuts, oils, dehydrated fruits & veggies, water, toilet paper, appliances that don’t require electricity, etc. I love my joyous life, and I don’t live in fear – good analogy about the volcano :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I am going to sound like a weirdo but inside me I kinda want this whole thing to happen and I want to be around to see the outcome (yeah, I am a weirdo – I like to watch those shows about super diasters). Branching off of Zoe’s post – Just think about it – what if meat and dairy were not safe to eat and everyone were forced to go vegan – all the McDonalds would go out of business and so many other restaurants that rely on meat dishes as their main draw.

I think people would go to eating a cooked vegan diet for the most part but definatley will want some more variety and health benefits and that is were we come in!

I could imagine myself rehabing an abandoned McDonalds and change the sign to McRawie’s. :) All us rawies who are great at making raw food could run these places! :)

healthyMarcus – In answer to your question, I would try to be somewhere where you could foraging for edible wild foods (in addition to stocking up on whatever you can’t get wild) – it is free, fresh, most people don’t know how to do it and don’t have to rely on someone else to produce your food for you (except nature of course!).

• Hey guys (meaning all women, too), sorry if my post seemed to be dire or negative sounding. I agree with everyone on here: both those that say our thoughts are very very powerful so think in winning situatuins for yourself and us all; and I also agree with you, Marcus, that simply thinking “positive” thoughts will not completely save/help us when and if disaster does strike. I feel it requires both putting out positive/successful energy and also acting in ways that align with those psitive/sucessful envisions of our thoughts. To that degree is why I keep recommending the books in the link of my ealier post. They provide unmatched information to help us help oursleves.

Peace. :)

• haha in a wierd way I think the same as queenfluff…no one’s going to actually learn a lesson or actually do something unless something drastic happens. It’s sick but the US is kind of ignorant…look what it took for us to care about national safety.

• haha in a wierd way I think the same as queenfluff…no one’s going to actually learn a lesson or actually do something unless something drastic happens. It’s sick but the US is kind of ignorant…look what it took for us to care about national safety.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I agree with the wild foods. Read these interesting accounts of two people who had lived purely off of wild foods: http://dw.successultranow.com/Articles/WildGree…

As for superfoods to stalk up on, I suppose I would choose: spirulina, bee pollen, maca, cacao, goji berries, hemp, flax, some containers of Vega, and I would also make and freeze as much food as I could. Things like green smoothies, fruit smoothies, soups, salad dressings, and maybe raw burgers as well. Anything dehydrated that would keep would also be good. Wheatgrass and a hand juicer might also be helpful. In fact, watering the wheatgrass every now and then with a 1/30 dilution of seawater will allow it to absorb all 92 minerals in the ocean – grasses are the only plant which will absorb all of them.

Hope that helps!

Oh, yeah – I remembered that a while back I thought that if I had to , I could survive well on raw cacao, coconut oil and agave nectar. Raw honey can also store well if you like bee products.

• Sorry, I have not been here for a while. this is awsome information. thank you. I just purchased large portions of alfalfa seeds, sunflower seeds, garbanzo beans, figs, pistachios chia seeds, hemp seeds, goji and more. I think I will definitely be srpouting these and others. I also think algae is a good idea. I am most impressed with a form you can buy called irish moss. very popular in my home land, Jamaica. It is bought dehydrated and stores for many years. thanks again.

• I have a banana tree, papaya tree, growing, I am looking into other things, I also have sunflower growing. sweet potato, squash and something else which I have no Idea what it is. I guess I will find out sooner or later. bless

Buckwheat & quinoa store really well, too, and can be sprouted. I am so jealous you can grow papayas where you live – I live in Utah. We have an apple tree, blackberries and raspberries, and a neighbor who usually gives us some pears. Soon I’ll be planting tomatoes, corn, zucchini, peas, watermelons, cucumbers and pumpkins.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I would store any dry seed to sprout, and, of course, water!!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

During WWII, the United States created a false shortage of foods to create a frenzy of fear in citizens. I’ve seen the same behavior in this last administration in order to beat the drum for its war-mongering and greed. I haven’t heard one word from my friends who raise horses that their horses are starving and dying from lack of food. In addition, this is not the first time owners have deliberately allowed their animals to starve for nefarious reasons. I know prices of grains have sky-rocketed, but I believe it is a false inflation for the most part. By threatening food and fuel-fat Americans that they might have to go without, we are supposed to slobber for blood of foreign peoples.

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I think things that you can sprout would be good, maybe stock up on some lights that mimic the sunlight for growing indoors if you have poor sunlight like we do. Save containers for growing your own food inside. I’m growing kale inside, and it grows pretty fast. organic heirloom seeds. I am with QUEENFLUFF too. I almost want to see what is going to happen. The only thing that bothers me, is that I have young children. I keep swaying toward teaching my children mostly about foraging, and teaching them what kinds of foods you can eat in the wild. Our yard is full of dandelions. We can eat that. We have plantain, TONS of blackberries, huckleberries, ect. You can eat some ferns. Oh, and we have TONS of bees in our yard this year. Our Apple tree looks AMAZING with tons of blossoms Here is another thought of mine. Maybe it would BOOST the economy in way, if we hoard. We are all out buying things that we NEED. I think the best thing to do is to teach our children how to grow food, and how to forage, how to survive in the wild, and in disasters. I home school my kids, so really, we could spend some time pretending that we have NOTHING, and go out foraging. To imagine what our world would be like if we lost everything that we rely on. Would it be so bad?? Maybe we could start all over again? The people that are NOT in tune with the earth will starve. People that KNOW what to look for, and eat, will be okay. Gosh, I JUST watched Fast Food Nation last night, and that movie REALLY got me going.. Now I must watch this “EATING” movie that Marcus speaks of.