Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I've got to admit, it's getting better

achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve been mostly raw for about 2 years now. Last year I read 12 Steps to Raw Foods, and Victoria Boutenko said that after you go raw and are properly nourishing your body, you will start to ignore restaurants and denatured food.

I have to say, it’s finally happening! I had to do some detoxing as well, but I’m feeling better and better as time goes on. I find myself actively avoiding cheese and butter (previously, my two weaknesses), and eating out is almost a burden. I’d rather be at home with my green smoothies.

I just want to give some encouragement to the others on the site who are struggling or are just getting started with this diet. Stick with it, it’s definitely worth it! :)

Comments

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Thanks achin70. Yes, some days it feels like an uphill climb but it is getting easier. Thanks for the encouragement.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I am about 4 mo. in and still detoxing. When I do fall off the wagon, I don’t binge nearly as bad as I did before. I actually quickly get to a point where I just can’t eat anymore and I never used to do that when cooked. I am really looking forward to when I no longer go thru periods where I want bread! I was BAD today so its a juice day tomorrow!

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Achin70 that is great news, for you and for me and for others who may be struggling!

I have been raw for a year now and recently have had massive junk food cravings. I think it was partly because I was bored with the food I was eating. I have been making some lovely things from this website and it has helped me greatly.

Hearing that it gets easier is helping too!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

CheeryDeb, I also seem to get massive junk food cravings as a form of detox. They aren’t as intense as they used to be and I can now usually struggle through but man, it can be tough! I definitely need the 12 step approach

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Hi Deborahann, I’ve found that making my own chocolate, chocolate mousse, coleslaw and other “junk” type foods is helping a lot. When I started raw a year ago the cravings were much worse. I’m surprised I’m getting them now. But I know it’s just a phase and will ease.

Hope yours ease up too.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I’m over four months, and whenever a SAD craving hits ,I get my dehydrator going with some snacks and treats. It seems like the only time that thing sees use is when I’m craving SAD food, and it pulls me through everytime.

Tonight I made raw potato crisps. :)

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

What eventually helped me was eating both SAD desserts and raw desserts. The raw desserts almost always tasted better. Eventually, I learned my lesson, and going forward, it’s nothing but raw desserts. They rule!

Also, I don’t want to mislead any newbies. Most people who stick to the raw food diet don’t take an entire 2 years to realize these benefits. I wasn’t eating enough at first, and I became somewhat underweight. So it took me a little longer to flourish on this diet. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

achin – that’s great encouragement! I find it’s easy to be entirely raw, but hard to be 80% raw. I’m five weeks 99% raw (except 1 beer once a week), and I don’t crave anything cooked. Ever. Has anyone experienced this? If so, does it continue to be easy to stay raw?

I’m sincere in saying that I don’t have to make any effort to eat raw – it’s completely natural. Perhaps it’s because I ate mostly vegan, carb free food for 7 years – not always healthy, but very restrictive. Anyway, I really enjoy trying new things – by eating raw, I’m able to have dessert for the first time. Have crackers regularly. Eat satisfying, rich dips with veggies. The chocolate mousse, dancing chicken salad, peanut butter celery, avocado, and SO MANY MANY more recipes – all of that is indulgent compared to how simply I was eating. I wouldn’t dare have dessert or milk shakes before going raw. Now, I can eat these in moderation. Fabulous! It’s so freeing!

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

I was raw for 3 weeks when I did the detox and did not plan and staying raw or even making it a part of my life. Thats what i thought after starting eating “normal” again after the detox and all of a sudden had some funny side effects. I always ate healthy but liked to splurge too..like fast food and soda…i had 2 cans of diet soda every single day since I met my husband..(we are not big soda drinker in germany) now i had no soda in about 6 weeks and sure dont plan on drinking any anymore after reading several books..lol..and i also experienced itching, being moody, unpatient(spelling?) after eating fast food or meat. So i guess those 21 days of detox changed my life without even knowing it. I now am about 70% raw and thats just the right number for me as of right now..

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I tell you, this is the most fun I’ve had eating in my entire life.

And, yes, Winona, it’s become a way of life, something I don’t even think about much anymore. It’s like brushing my teeth! :)

• This could not have been more timely. I tried eating raw until dinner for the pass few weeks. Didn’t work very well for me. I guess I’m an “all or nothing” kinda girl. So, today I started a 30 day, 100%, raw challenge following Alissa Cohen’s plan. It’s strange, but I agree with Winona, I think being 100% will be easier for me than 75%. Thanks everyone for sharing how much easier things get.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Blizzful – How cool that you are having the same experience! I can’t wait to hear how it goes.