Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Time won't give me time

achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Is time an issue with any of you? For some reason, I just can’t bring myself to spend time in the kitchen prepping my raw food. I don’t know if it’s because I’m a guy or what, but I try to spend as little time as possible making my meals. Green smoothies have been a godsend, since they’re so easy to prepare.

It’s funny, because it’s not like I’m that busy. And after dinner, I just sit and vegetate on the couch and watch TV. Am I the only one with this issue? :)

Comments

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

Only recently have I begun to enjoy preparing food. Cookies, bread, chocolate, coleslaw, cakes… I’m surprised at myself because the kitchen used to be the place I most disliked spending time in.

I love preparing nice things. Being in the kitchen gives me time to think or listen to music or hang out with my cats while they watch me.

Also, I find if I have a supply of ready made food it stops me craving junk.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

achin70, maybe if you took a raw foods prep class you would learn some tricks that would make your time in the kitchen easier and more fun.

• It’s love-hate for me, achin70. I never liked to prepare food prior to going raw, and must say that it’s definitely improved since going raw. Still, when I see an intricate recipe, I just run away. I have to stick with what’s simple in order to be motivated. Maybe that would be the key for you? As for TV, I still use it as a little “reward” at the end of the day, but watch way less than I used to (maybe 1/2 hour at night). As I’ve gotten deeper into my spiritual practice (which is not always consistent, mind you!), I feel more repelled by what I see and turn it off. Have you asked yourself why you’re watching TV? For me, it’s definitely a way to push down feelings or not deal with stuff that has come up during the day—hence “the reward”. What would happen if you didn’t put the TV on? Perhaps there are some uncomfortable feelings you don’t want to deal with. And that’s o.k.; it might be a good thing to investigate, though.

• i think it’s because your a guy

• I’m the same…after a looong day of work and the gym, it’s 8pm and I just want my law+order on tv. I keep my dinners pretty simple for now (veggie noodles and change up the sauces), and even though its a chore, I make sure to make my breakfast/lunch the night before so I can at least sleep in the 15 extra minutes. I hate prep…I was never a good cook bc I was wayyy too impatient.

• justbeautiful, I just can’t go along with that. Look at how many chefs are men? Also, my husband loves to cook (albeit non vegetarian) and is very good at it. I think you either have the “cooking gene” or you don’t.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

you have to love what your doing. maybe your not totally into it yet, maybe your just trying to be raw? i dont know, but i love the kitchen. i love to spend pointless time fancying up my wraps. i cook, sorry… i prepare my girl food every week night after she gets out of work. I also prepare my mom food every night (lives 20 minutes away) to make sure she eats right. once she can handle it herself i will let her go. its motivation that gets me. I know how pumpt i will feel after i eat. I sing random words while i prepare. good times.

• You go, worley! I’m sure your mom and girlfriend really appreciate it—what a lovely thing to do.

• I have found that preparing stuff in advance – before I’m hungry – helps a lot. I chop vegetables, dehydrate crackers, make sauces and dressings – so that when I’m hungry, I can get out half a squash, slice it up real quick in the spiralizer and pour some sauce on it. Or roll up some sliced veggies in nori , real quick.

I also accept that eating this way means, there will be many times I eat things without any fancy preparation: breakfast might be an apple and a banana, and lunch is going to be carrots and an avocado right out of the produce section while on my lunch break.

And, I’m really ok with that. It is delicious to me just as it is, but if I have time, I will prepare something that resembles a traditional meal. I figure as long as I consistenly eat a variety of super-healthy foods, I’m getting what I need.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I don’t spend much time in the kitchen. I eat pretty simply…it’s easy to whip up a quick salad, make a veggie plate, or grab some fruit.