Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Boy am I nervous! Greetings from New Mexico!

Hi! I have been lurking for good long while and have – as of today – made the jump to 100 percent raw. I have been a vegetarian for some years, so the transition will be tough but not as bad as it could be. :)

I teach 8th grade at a public school and hope to find some renewed energy and a stronger immune system with my new diet. I think I caught ever cold that ran through school this winter, and want to avoid catching anything else, LOL. I’m ready!

I drove the long, lonely hour to Santa Fe to pick up organic goodies at the Whole Foods and my home is now stocked and ready for the adventure. I’m so grateful to have found this forum and look forward to being a regular contributor.

Best wishes to one and all! Birdie

Comments

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

all the best to you birdie! have fun and eat yummy things!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Good for you. I hope you can find everything you need. An hour can be rough. You will have to plan ahead (unlike me).

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Good for you littlebirdie. Welcome aboard.

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Best wishes right back to you Birdie :) Your hour trip to Whole Foods makes me thankful that mine is only a 30 minute trip!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Cool! What are your favorite raw things so far?

• Thanks for the warm welcome!

Okay, I made a grapefruit smoothie with one whole fresh peeled grapefruit, a teaspoon of raw coconut oil, a tablespoon of flax seeds, and some almond milk. It was yummy.

And then for dinner, I just finished a huge bowl of salad made with swiss chard, red cabbage, radishes, carrots, and green onions. I sprinkled it with sea salt and some lemon and olive oil. It was great.

I’m ready to make an asparagus green smoothie tomorrow morning for breakfast. I have two boys at home – ages 11 and 13 – and I’m trying to ease them into a raw food diet as well, but I’m not going to force it. I want them to try bites and sips of my creations and get to love the idea over time. :)

and yeah, living in rural New Mexico is gonna make this a bit of a planning operation until our farmer’s market starts up in another month or so. Then it will be much easier to get some great fresh, organic produce. I’m growing some of my own veggies, too.

xo! Birdie

Ooh! That salad sounds sooooo good!

• Angie, it was amazing! I’m getting ready to make my first green smoothie now…

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

littlebirdie—welcome! not that i do, but a lot of people on this website grown their own veggies indoors (easy things like tomatoes, lettuce…). that might help you during the winter. just a thought.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

hi littlebirdie! swiss chard salad – i haven’t tried that yet. mm.

• pianissima, thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to look into it. I’m working on creating some raised beds in my backyard to grow during the summer. It’s still too cold here – we had snow yesterday. I might even look into building a little greenhouse off of my house.

Winona, thanks for the welcome. I really enjoyed the swiss chard salad. It was soooo good.

Okay, I had a green smoothie for breakfast and three hours later was so starving I made another smoothing – a banana smoothie with frozen bananas. And then I ate a couple of dates. I think I’m going to end up eating a lot, hope I don’t eat too much. Can you eat too much on a raw diet? I could use some thoughts or advice.

Thanks so much, everyone, Birdie

It is much harder to overeat on a raw diet – I guess it’s possible, but if people overeat on raw, it’s usually because they have emotional issues with food and overeating before going raw, and they haven’t conquered them yet. I think (at least for me) it’s perfectly normal to eat more often on raw, because the fruit, etc. fills you up but then digests quickly. And a lot of people I have talked to say they ate a ton of food in the beginning but then their needs eventually went down and they ate a lot less after maybe six months to two years on raw. One lady said something like: When I lost 85 pounds in four months, I was eating more food than I had ever eaten in my life. If your goal is health and giving your body what it needs, you will be happy and food will be a friend.

• Angie, thanks SO MUCH for your response. I am beginning to figure out that my body is only asking for what it needs. My tummy calmed down and now I feel satiated. I ate a salad for lunch in addition to those two smoothies earlier and now I am verily stuffed. :)

I love your last line: If your goal is health and giving your body what it needs, you will be happy and food will be a friend.

That’s my mantra for today. :)

Big hugs, Birdie

Yay! Glad I could contribute to your happiness/life :) For me, it’s all about the joy :)

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

hi birdie!!I am a fellow NM resident. I am way down in the SE corner of the state in Artesia. Good luck in your endeavors. It is certainly rough going when there are no good resources nearby. I make the 3 1/2 hour trip to Santa Fe or 5 hour trip to Albuquerque monthly to stock up. It is worth it though!!!