Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who eats mostly fruit?

2»

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I eat fewer exotic fuits now than I used to and more greens (fewer varieties) and vegetable fruits. I also eat nuts and seeds, not necessarly in complicated recipes, but almost always ground or blended. I eat fewer bananas now than I have in the past and no tomatoes (both contain lectins that don’t agree with me). Now that summer is upon us, I’ll go back to eating more fruit. It’s a seasonal thing!

• Yes, fruit can lead to diabetes if you combine it with loads and loads of REFINED SUGAR =P Come on! Who told you that fruit can give you diabetes? Its all natural! One thing I dont like about all the nutrition info today is that tends to give misleading info to people. For example, some people might be afraid of eating coconuts because of its fat, if you look on wikipedia they compare the fat of raw coconut and oils with pigs fat, but what they dont tell you is that pigs fat is bad for your body while the coconut has some properties like reducing bad cholesterol and increasing the good one, so you wont get fat at all! Im not against you, but Ive been there, my weight was 120Kg, now Im 55Kg and I eat almost everything raw (except for free sugar granola, I cannot help it!=P) Now I dont worry for eating too much, I just eat if Im hungry couse vegetables and fruits are healthy, they are the natural food that earth gives us so you dont need to worry if a date, a plum or a fig has too much sugar or if a coconut has too much fat unless you eat meat and other non-raw processed products. One advice I would give you is, do not create a food disorder for yourself, be responsable of what you eat and if you like cheese or meat…good, is your body, as long as it makes you happy is fine. Good luck!

• roxi – omg me too…most vegetables and nuts give me the worst gas. it’s so annoying because I’d love to just have a massive salad for lunch but not the side effects haha. I save the veggies for dinnerand even then just stick to zucchini noodles and tomatoes and carrots mostly.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i love fruit! some days, i eat mostly fruit, some days, just a little. it’s best to nourish yourself with what you’re in the mood for.then you’re satisfied! crunchy, salty, juicy, sweet, spicy, smooth. mmm.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I never eat vegetable…haha, I just realized that! I just eat crap loads of spinach, kale, collard greens, sprouts, all fruits…except apples, they are gross to me, (I juice them occasionally) and some nuts and seeds, usually not daily. Hmmm…wonder if that’s bad for me. Lol.

• I eat lots of fruit - and I find that fruit is one of the easiest ways to stay raw (especially when you are on the move) - on the face of it - convenience, but maybe it just gives us more of what we need.

But - I have been pondering the same questions - and I got a lot of information and comfort from this thread.

Bananas - I don't like them ripe at all - and I was wondering how the nutritional content of bananas change, as it moves from being green/unripe to yellow/ripe to dark brown/mush. Obviously at the tail end, it is packed with (good) sugar.

What about when it is green -> yellow?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I eat mostly fruit. The rest of my diet is algae, juice, and occasionally a cooked lentil or vegetable broth. Six or seven oranges a day, a bag of grapes or so, and sometimes a smoothie with frozen banana, algae, and juice and some spices. That's my diet.

• I eat primarily fruit. Fruit sugars will not give you or lead to diabetes. Our bodies run off of glucose and galactose. Our bodies produce 2-12 grams of it's own galactose every single day, and if we were to stop eating our bodies would convert fat deposits and all other resources into sugar in an effort to continue to function. Sugar is vital to almost all functions of our bodies including our brain.

"The main source of energy for living organisms is a sugar called glucose. In breaking down glucose, the energy in the glucose molecule's chemical bonds is released and can be harnessed by the cell to form ATP molecule"

Fats & refined sugars cause degenerative disease and "diabetes". Not fruit.

Don't be afraid of your bananas & dates. If anything they regulate your blood sugar.

If you haven't noticed, most vegetables are not very appealing to us in their natural form. We tend to process them in various ways (even raw processes like mashing/pureeing & masking with SUGAR) to cover up their either bland or bitter taste. We have taste buds for a reason. When something is bitter it is more than likely too hard to digest/assimilate and is not worth your time or digestive efforts.

Who mono-meals garlic and onions? How about some nice raw butternut squash or potatoes?

Don't follow your nose, follow your tongue.

• derryck there is too much starch in a green or unripe banana, sometimes accompanied by a bitter taste. They're usually used for cooking during that stage. The banana continues with basic cellular functioning as it ripens, producing simple sugars and enzymes to sustain cellular life for the seeding process of the banana tree.

As they ripen the hormones in the fruit convert amino acids into ethylene gas. The ethylene, oxygen, and light stimulate the enzymes that make the magic happen(ripen). The enzyme amylase is responsible for breaking down the starch in the banana into it's simple sweet tasting and easily used form of sugar, glucose. Another enzyme pectinase (think pectin) breaks down cell walls in the banana making it softer, more palatable, and digestible.

It's said the B6 in banana's regulate blood sugar levels and banana's are also known to keep blood pressure down.

Wait till those brown spots appear =)

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I don't buy the fresh fruit = diabetes myth either. I feel great the more fruit I eat, but I do have to say I feel better when I "earn" my fruit or workout after fueling up with a lot of fruit. I can't eat a ton of fruit and not use the energy by sitting around.

• My father was recently diagnosed with diabetes and eating too much fruit did NOT cause it (eating the SAD diet caused it).

• Rob,

Your friends must have a field day with you. i think that's great though- if it's working for you. i'm curious how much you spend for groceries.