Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do you store walnuts?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I think I have this nut-storing thing all wrong.

I store my raw macadamia nuts in a jar in the cupboard and my walnuts in a ziplock bag. My walnuts taste kind of funny, and I am not sure if they’re supposed to taste like that or not. My mac nuts still taste fine though.

Am I supposed to store them in the fridge?

Comments

• not sure about the raw rules, but normally I store walnuts in the freezer. They go racid really fast.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I store all my nuts in the fridge, but take out what I think I’ll be using the following day or later in the day and put it on the counter, because… well… cold nuts are a pain to blend creamy. I’ve heard the freezer is best, but I never use them when they’re there. I tend to forget they’re there.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

High oil content nut like mac nuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts and walnuts should be stored in the freezer. They should keep about a year. The other nuts and seeds are fine in the fridge for six months. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I buy walnuts in small batches. They never seem to last more than a few days around here anyway. :-)

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi everyone

Unlike achin70, I don’t believe walnuts should be frozen.

I wrote an article on ‘freezing and raw’ recently. See http://debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com/2008/0…

But refrigeration (not too cold!) would be a good idea.

Love, Debbie Took

I was trying to figure out why walnuts go rancid pretty quickly if not refrigerated or frozen (aside from the high oil content), and I believe it might be because they break so easily. Once the nut is broken, the rate of deterioration likely increases.

debbietook: I read your article. It’s a nice read! Aside from the loss of enzymes, why do you think walnuts should be refrigerated, and not frozen? Do you think mac nuts, brazil nuts and pine nuts should be frozen? LOL. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I just keep everything in my cupboard. I’ve never known nuts to go off, I guess that is more of a problems for you lucky folks who live in hot countries.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

achin70—i totally agree that freezing isn’t optimal. however the experiment you did with wheatberries wouldn’t apply to nuts i think because they have enzyme inhibitors (it is THAT, not the fact they contain little water) that makes them resistant to freezing. i wonder what would happen if you tried it with raw almonds…

pianissima: The research was actually done by debbietook. :)