Alternatives to banana

denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

My partner has a ragweed allergy, which means he’s also allergic to bananas, but they’re in so many sweet raw recipes. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to bananas that would give the same consistency?

Comments

• bummer! that depends on the recipe, like in most smoothies you can just leave them out, you can try subbing mango or papaya in some things as well.

• The mimic the banana’s creammy, smoothe consistency, you can sub in avocado for most recipes.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

You can also try young coconut, but it needs to be the meaty kind of young coconut. The jelly-like pulp of some very immature young coconuts just won’t do it.

I agree with kathrynintheraw, avocados would likely be the best substitute. :)

• denzildragondenzildragon Raw Newbie

Thanks for the ideas! I’ll have to try sneaking an avo into a recipe – see if he notices. :) I still haven’t convinced him to try a smoothie with avocado in it. The others should work too, & he loves all of those.

Thanks again!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I tried making a pudding with avocado only and he did not like it. i did, but he’s the one allergic to them. so i am going to try mango next time.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

If your boyfriend ever feels adventurous, you can try durian, but this sweet, pungent fruit isn’t for everyone! :)

Oh, no, he hates durian! I’m weird in that I can take it or leave it (almost everyone else seems to either love it or hate it) – but if I ever buy any he makes me go sit out on the balcony to eat it!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I will be making more recipes that are banana free. For this smoothie I used a mango. before I was just eliminating the banana but it was not very tasty. This was a success!

Banana-free smoothie recipe

Thanks, Bitt – that sounds tasty! (Now I just have to blindfold him so he doesn’t know it’s green LOL)