Food for thought and it was thought NOT to be food!??!?

waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

This food issue doesn’t effect those of us who are totally raw foodist but to those who aren’t or those who want to learn more about Eco friendly… Please take a look at what is available and also how we have all been “duped” yet again… :(

By Marisa Belger

TODAYShow.com contributor

Having trouble keeping up with our increasingly organic, eco-friendly world? Let me be your guide! From all-natural makeup to the best in eco-conscious jeans, I will test and review the products and treatments that are best for you and the planet.

Nothing will motivate you to start living a greener life quite like parenthood. Suddenly the planet is no longer yours. It belongs to the little people, the ones who need to swim and climb trees and run through the grass like you did.

And if you

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

So, where can I get adult organic cotton clothing?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i think we should just do away with cotton completely. it uses water like there’s no tomorrow… i bought some hemp clothing recently… oh WOW. the softest stuff on earth! plus, it grows like a weed and is virtually it’s own pesticide.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Oh my goodness, look what I found for you Angie…

www.gaiam.com

www.mamasearth.com/clothing.htm

www.esperanzathreads.com/

This may keep you busy for longer than you want…. LOL

I prefer hemp and bamboo over cotton and you may too…

pianissima, YOU are so right!!! I believe Most of our Global problems could be solved by growing and using HEMP in all areas of our lives!!!

My point here initally was, how a non-food product is being used in SAD snacks that America is consuming and in large quanties!!!

Okay, hemp is sounding goooood! Where do I get that? Is it on any of those sites, or are they all for cotton?

Yeah, it’s amazing! I knew someone who was allergic to cottonseed oil, and we found 2 premade snacks he could eat – Fritos (I think) and Reduced Fat Oreos. Every once in a while we would find some random generic brand cheese puffs or something, but EVERYTHING ELSE had cottonseed oil in it, including a lot of foods at restaurants (those he found out later when he had a reaction – fortunately he had a prescription antidote for it).

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

waterbaby12347- totally. gotcha! =) it never thought about what cottonseed oil was… that’s so funny (weird funny)... i guess i didn’t have to, but still.

this is where i got mine when i was in california in december: http://www.naturalhighlifestyle.com/ actually, the purple pants that i’m wearing in the photo are an example. they feel like silk almost. a tree bark and hemp blend.

here’s one i just found… http://store.hempest.com/catalog/product_info.p…

a whole bunch of links come up on blackle.com

it’s quite an investment buying organic clothing, so i’m “investing” slowly. ;)

hope that helps =)

Thank you – yes! Yeah, I have a pretty good supply of clothing right now as I have replaced my old worn-out wardrobe over the last 6 or 8 months, so now I feel like I am where I should be able to just slowly replace 1 thing at a time. Good to know now; I really appreciate it :)

Woohoo! I just checked for a retailer (for naturalhighlifestyle), and there is a yoga store about 20 minutes from my house that sells their stuff! I don’t know how much, but maybe if they order from them, they might order stuff in for me? I’m going to check it out.

Yes angie those were all organic cotton clothing “adult” sites… LOL Here are some more Hemp clothing sites… :}

www.hemp-sisters.com/hemp_clothing_and_accessor…

www.happyhippie.com/ubb/forum1/HTML/000102.html (Dont cha just love that name) ;)

www.harmonythreads.com/wsale.html

Here is a little…HAHA more on the clothing subject, but where the sun doesn’t shine much. LOL

By Marisa Belger TODAYShow.com contributor

Having trouble keeping up with our increasingly organic, eco-friendly world? Let me be your guide! From all-natural makeup to the best in eco-conscious jeans, I will test and review the products and treatments that are best for you and the planet.

I

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Cotton has been and still is an environmental nightmare due to agribiz. There is a wonderful cotton out there which used to be primarily gron in Peru. In Peru they call it Pakucho. The color is natural and actually in the cotton. It reacts to heat so when you wash it in warm water or dry it in a dryer the color deepends. It never fades from being washed (although if left in the sun it will so you don’t want to leave it on a clothesline for an extended period). It also acts like a litmus paper so if you spill anything acidic, like lemon juice, on it, it will change color until you wash the juice out.

In order for cotton to stand up to wear, it needs a long fiber. That is what is so unique about Egyptian cotton is its unusually long fibers. Until the early 1900s, only white cotton was used for commercial clothing in the US. White cotton has long fibers and was deemed superior and only white people were allowed to wear it. Colored cotton had very short fibers and was inferior for making clothing. Slaves were allowed to farm small patches of colored cotton on plantations and use it for their own clothing.

Sally Fox is a staunch environmentalist who for years has been breeding color grown cotton to lengthen their threads and she has done it. All her cotton is grown organic. Now her long-fiber color grown cotton is getting a reputation and is being exported to other countries to grow. Color grown cotton is also starting to make its way into clothing here in the US. Expect to see more of it and now you will what it is when you see it.

One of the things that is so cool about what Sally Fox does is that she uses her product to revitalize communities devastated by commercial dyes. I have now heard of two communities that have had to close down because their water source was poisoned with commercial dyes for coloring cotton (she mentions one on her webpage), She has gone in with color grown cotton to help revitalize these areas and get people back to work without polluting the environment. She is a really cool chick and worth googling to read up on.

She sells cotton fabric and yearn. I like the yarn and use it whenever I need cotton yarn. I recently made a shopping bag out of it. Since the cotton is naturally colored, all the colors are natural shades of brown, green almond, etc. I understand she has recently been working with a line that is bearing a pinkish-wine natural color. Here is a link to her website that tells a little about what she has accomplished: Vreseis. I have only found two online vendors that sell color grown cotton: ecobutterfly.com and chammomileconnection.com. These vendors also sell on ebay, although one of them uses a different name. Lion Brand also makes a color grown organic cotton yarn, but most stores don’t carry it. The price of it is right in line with what the other two vendors mentioned in here charge for their products, so I would suggest buying from them because they both focus on selling natural, environmentally friendly fibers.