Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Young Coconut

Can I get these in the UK??

Have never seen one, only the mature ones. Really want to try one, any ideas??

Cheers

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I know some people get them at asian markets, so if you have any of those, you might want to try there.

• Just ask any Thai, Filipino, Malaysian, Indonesian, or Guamanian you know or meet and they probably know where to get them.

• Cheers, wouldnt be a problem if I was home in London just am working away and funnily enough it could be weeks till I met any of the above!

Will have to wait until I get back for a young coconut hunt :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I get the best deal on them from the Chinese supermarket. There’s loads of them in London.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I just got 12 young coconuts for £12 at an Indian food shop in Bolton. I am in heaven :)

• Ok now, what do you do with one once you find it? Suggestions?

• I like to drink the water then eat the meat as/is. Its so good, I cant get myself to “do anything” else it. ;)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I blend the meat with the milk and a couple of dates, and drink it all up, mmmm

Or there’s a nice recipe for samosa’s in Real Food Real World, by Sarma Menghalis and Matthew Kenny, they use the coconut to make the samosa wrappers. They blend the meat with the water and add some salt and spices, then dehydrate until like a fruit leather and stuff with curried cauliflower and peas, they are gorgeous.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

does anyone have a substitution for a young coconut (water and meat) in a smoothie? I tried dried coconut and oil and butter but it just didn’t taste the same for all of my smoothie recipes. Any ideas? I like the young coconuts but I am trying to avoid them since there is a lot of controversy about them being irridiated and not really organic.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

queenfluff there isn’t a substitute for young coconut water. Coconut water is a unique taste. How do you know which coconut was used to make coconut oil? I remember when I was younger my dad made some coconut oil by putting the meat from the young coconut in the frying pan. Although you probably get cold pressed coconut oil, how are you sure they are not using the young coconut?

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

queenfluff, I can’t believe you asked that question…I just read in Bryan Au’s book last night that you can substitute almond milk for coconut water in smoothies. I haven’t tried it myself, but worth giving it a try…you can also buy organic coconut “flavoring”, not “extract”, and add a tiny bit to the almond milk.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

joesc – I buy organic raw coconut oil, butter and sometimes dried- they are not supposed to irridiate organic food. It not that I don’t want my coconut to be the young Thai coconut – just that right now – the young Thai coconuts that you buy at the Asian stores may not be organic and alot of times they are dipped in chemicals. If they were certified organic, then I would happy using them. I actually did find a site this morning that said to soak the coconut meat in warm water to get a coconut milk. I did that with my dried organic coconut and it turned out not too bad. Tasted good in my pina colada smoothie. :)

Here is the information I got recently about young Thai coconuts. The Tree Of Life in Arizona will not use young Thai coconuts anymore:

Why We No Longer Use “Thai” Coconuts from the Tree of Life Cafe

While they are a good food, we no longer use the “Thai” Coconuts in our cuisine for the following reasons:

NON-ORGANIC Thai coconuts are not certified organic. Information that they are grown organically may not be true. From articles online it seems that fertilizer & pesticides are used in coconut farming. Therefore we would be supporting a non organic industry and ingesting non organic chemicals. Some companies claim to be organic.

FUNGICIDE DIP. Some coconuts are dipped for 5 minutes in a fungicide solution (such as formaldehyde or sodium metabisulphate) before exporting. This is to eliminate mold and bacteria during the “6-week” shipping process.

IRRADIATION Many feel that they may be irradiated during shipping process.

HYBRIDIZATION & SUGAR The Thai coconuts are said to be cross pollinated with palm tree. This makes them incredibly sweet.

SUSTAINABILITY What is the real impact of importing coconuts from Thailand? Fair trade labor, high food miles and chemical usage.

LABOR Highly labor intensive when opening in a commercial setting. High labor investment for harvesting, shaving, packaging, storage, distribution and shipping.

LOW QUALITY Over 30% are usually rotten. This indicated by a purple colored pulp/ water, black spots and pink on the outer husk.

rawmama- Thanks for that tip! I have “Raw in Ten Minutes” by Bryan Au. I haven’t gone through the smoothie section yet. I might try the coconut flavoring too. Raw organic almonds will be getting more expensive and hard to get too. Only a few more months before the change.