Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long do smoothies keep?

I’d like to start the day with a green smoothie, but running the blender in the morning would wake my roommate. Can I make the the night before and keep them in the fridge without any issues?

Comments

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

I’ve had no problem with making them and having them the next day. I think you will be safe with them overnight in the fridge.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

just shake it up in the morning, it’ll be fine!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I don’t know (scientifically) how long the nutrients last, but I usually make drink my smoothies within a day and they taste just as good as when I drink them right away. I wouldn’t keep them longer than a full day because they tend to oxidize and lose nutrients. Just store them in an airtight container and you should do just fine.

• someone on here gave me the idea to freeze em and eat it like sorbet!! which rocks because i always make too much to eat for breakfast

• Rcently half the time I make myself a smoothie the night before and half the time I make it then and there. I think it’s good if it’s the night before but I wouldn’t have it sit much longer.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Eating it right away is optimal (oxidation and all), but if you have to make it the night before it should taste the same. I’ve had them ferment if left longer.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Ooh yay! I have this problem, too (waking ppl with the blender), and I’ve really wanted to start having green smoothies for breakfast. I just thought that by morning they’d be nasty gooey or something. How fun! lol.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

you are so considerate. i’ve been waking the whole house up with the juicer! :-)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have also read that the less air that is in the storage container the slower it will oxidize so fill those containers to the brim snd snap on a lid.

• Good feedback! Thanks everyone! I just got a Cuisinart food processor/blender combo and we’ll see how it goes!

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

*Yay! I had my first green smoothie today (after blending last night before bed). I used lapetitemort’s Yummy Green Smoothie . I just put it in a cup with a lid, stored it in the coldest part of my fridge, shook it up, and drank it on my way to work! It tasted great! And I have SO much more energy than when I was eating cereal (un-raw) for breakfast… holy cow!

Hope you have a similar experience, omnithought. :D

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

4 Days… well, according to Boutenko’s Greens For Life talk.

We’ve done it before… I drink mine at day 3. It was fine. I think my husband drank one at day 5. It does oxidize the longer you wait… so you lose nutrients.

• i hear the nutrients start dying out almost instantly, and it’s best to drink it within a half hour. if you need to store it, seal it in an airtight container and add a few drops of lemon juice :)

• I also agree that it´s best to dring your smoothies as soon as you can. In fact, ou can notice how the texture changes after like half an hour—- it starts to bubble a bit, it becomes thicker… that means that some chemical changes are taking place there. I think that as long as it doesn´t go bad it´s drinkable, but you do lose some nutrients. It might also interest you that Ayurveda considers food left over from the previous day as “tamasik” i.e. heavy.