new recommendation: 10 servings

bittbitt Raw Newbie

I thought this article might be interesting if you need more evidence/facts to support your raw choice.

Here’s the link but the article is below it: http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Health/2008/04/09/...

Reducing cancer risk via diet

Published: April 9, 2008 at 11:54 AM

SEATTLE, April 9 (UPI)—A U.S. health group suggests a diet high in vegetables and fruits—10 servings a day—helps reduce the risk of cancer.

The American Cancer Society says having at least five servings of fruits and vegetables a day has been recommended for a long time, but many experts are now advising at least doubling that amount.

The experts at the American Cancer Society say the role of diet in cancer is far from established, but the research does indicate a plant-based diet is associated with reduced risk for several cancers—especially for colon cancer. To reduce colon and other cancer risks the American Cancer Society advises to:

—Keep the intake of red meat to a minimum—no more than 4 ounces of red meat per day on average and avoid processed meats such as sausage since the chemicals used to process them have been found to cause several kinds of cancer.

—Help keep weight down by minimizing the intake of high-calorie foods such as sugar drinks, refined breads and potato chips.

—Eat foods with high calcium and vitamin D levels such as fortified low- or non-fat milk and yogurt. Some may want to have their doctor check their blood level of vitamin D, because many Americans have been found to have a deficiency in this vitamin.

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I just found this – thanks for posting it, as it may help me teach a beginning raw foods class in a few days. :)