Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw chocolate

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I made my first attempt at raw chocolate today, and was wondering why my results came out the way they did.

First, I melted some coconut oil. Then I added cacao powder and agave until it tasted like I like it, and then I poured it into my Hello Kitty ice cube tray and stuck it in the freezer.

The problem was, some of the pieces came out REALLY bitter, with almost no agave. The others came out with lots of agave and tasted great, the problem was that the agave partially separated from the chocolate and only partially solidified. So it was like half dark chocolate, half weird partially solid agave chocolate mixture. They tasted great, but it was weird.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• yes ma’am! You don’t need the freezer. The “chocolate” will get very hard, like a chocolate bar, in the fridge alone…I know this too from experience!!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I don’t know what could have gone wrong. I make mine the exact same way and it never separates. Maybe you didn’t mix it enough(?)

If you have a champion juicer you can grind the nibs down into chocolate – kind of like making nut butter. There’s a recipe on how to make it just under “chocolate bar”.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I use maple syrup because people say agave in this mix doesn’t work. Although I usually make raw chocolate bars out of cocoa butter, not coconut oil. Everybody seems to think that when I say cocoa butter, I mean coconut oil, but no, I mean the real stuff, cacao butter.

• you didn’t mix it enough, when you melt the coco pour it into your raw chocolate, then mix briefly and then add your agave and mix like crazy you should see the texture of everything start to come together. I am eating some now except for I goji it.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

So I’m hearing mix it more and forget the freezer.

I’ll give it a try, thanks kids!

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i grind the cacao in a coffee grinder first, then i pound it in a mortar and pestle. it tends to be really grainy, like sand unless you really pound it. hope this helps

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi..if i make chocolate without cocoa butter or coconut butter in it, i dont melt the coconut oil until its clear liquid. simply stir the mixture in a bowl held in your hand or over just warm water to gently warm the oil and incorporate the powder and agave.be aware that without the hardness of the butter this will melt very easily. you may find it helpful to tap the mold a few times on the counter to level before freezing.