Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does anybody feel the same as I do about NUTS???

RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Is anybody here against nuts/seeds? I cannot digest them! Am I crazy or is there some truth to this?

Comments

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

I’ve been having trouble with nuts lately, but never have before.

Anyone know why this is happening? Any tips or ideas or anything? I am perplexed.

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

humm…maybe you have low HCI in your tummy to digest them, maybe some digetive enzymes would help?? Dunno, just throwing this out there.

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I consumed nuts as well as store bought almond milk daily when I went mostly raw and quit drinking milk not quite two years ago. I was so accustomed to the idea that I should drink some type of “milk” product.

Well I broke out horribly (felt bad to go in public) for about a year. When I quit consuming walnuts, quit taking omega3 pills and quit drinking almond milk, I quit breaking out. Perhaps stale (but incredibly expensive variety bought freshly at the health food store) pills or nut mold was the culprit.

Nobody can tell me anything that I would believe about the necessity of omega3 that I would believe nowadays. What I believe is that people should eat all the healing fruits and vegetables God put on the planet. If we were squirrels, we should consumed the nuts. Would I totally abstain from nuts? No, but I wouldn’t take it for health sake.

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

I might agree with you , rawkidchef, thought I wouldn’t lump nuts and seeds together…they are very different in my experience, providing very different things nutritionally, and acting differently in the body.

• yes…I used to love all forms of nuts, but over the past year or so I’ve really noticed, my body just doesn’t digest fats well. maybe a couple nuts at a time but who eats like 4 nuts?? haha not to mention they are expensive. I have some sunflower seeds for if I feel like I need some nut type thing, but they don’t taste that great to me. wierdly I don’t really even miss them any more

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

i have no problem with nuts! Are you guys sure the nuts you get are RAW? Like really, raw?

• i made this thing for dinner a couple of weeks ago.. a nut loaf.. it had all these chopped up veggies in there and nuts that i soaked… and O…M…G!!! did i have an upset stomach after that!! i could only imagine that it was the amount of nuts that it called for.. like 2 different kinds.. anyway.. i only eat sorta small amounts of nuts now.. im a little scared now i guess.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Nuts give me an upset tummy, even if they’re mulched to oblivion in the FP. :( Even seeds do this. It’s a bummer, because I like the way they taste and I’ve totally been craving them recently.

I am shedding a tear for you guys! I couldn’t live without nuts! ;)

• I have cut the nuts out not only because of the tummy issues, but also because of my weight gain. It was hard at first, but now, I am nut free…well, my family is still here so maybe not completely nut free.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve read nuts are concentrated and acidic, and need to be balanced with greens, which are not as concentrated and alkaline. So if you eat nuts, have a salad. Or add nuts to your green smoothies. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

harmonylia—family of nuts. haha =)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh, and i find it depends on the concentration of the nuts/seeds. if it’s a little bit blended in with a bunch of veggies or greens to make a sauce then i barely notice them.

also, make sure you are soaking and DRYING them because wet nuts and seeds are difficult to digest.

• rawjazzrawjazz Raw Newbie

Yeah, nuts do give me “stomach issues” sometimes—I don’t think we necessarily “require” nuts every day, so don’t eat them unless you want to! You could also try nut butter instead.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

nuts made me bloat terribly when i first went raw. now i digest them fine and i really like the variety in the recipes i make and eat! but, like anything, i’ll listen to my body and if things change, they change.

• Have you been soaking your nuts? Most nuts have enzyme inhibitors that make them difficult to digest. Soaking the nuts will remove the enzyme inhibitors making them more digestible.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i agree with pianissima – blended as a dressing or sauce with veggies/herbs, then it’s fine. non-raw walnuts really did a number on my stomach. raw almond milk is okay though (i’m able to purchase raw almonds) i’ll try soaking and drying the truly raw nuts that I have now, and see how that works.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Any form of nuts people! Ground nuts, yes they are truly raw I get them online where they say TRULY RAW and yes I ALWAYS soak them and nut butter is even worse and yes I take a enzyme and al those things!! I’m glad some people agree with me. I believe that anything that i addictive is nt good, and all cooked foods and some delicious but hard to digest raw food such as nuts are addictive. Dehydrating them makes them even more digestible I almost threw out my dehydrator but then I use it to dry my cell phone after I get it wet. lol

I have gotten rid of any food that id addictive, such as nuts, because they are addictive and becuase they do a number of my stomach and i don’t think it’s me I think that nuts really are suspicious.

I’ve decided not to rely on foods that taste good, that settle cravings down, they are not nesessary to me. I believe that nut milks are okay, but ehhhhhhh i’m really leary of those nuts.

Now I love my fruit and salad, oh and MOTH your forum about avocados, they are amazing! So rich and creamy, they really are a good replacement for nuts.

Although I have noticed that if i eat a salad at night I get alot of cravings and I would prefer not to have those cravings. lol

This is just my opnion, people are different and may do fine with nuts but me, well uhhhhhh I don’t know about me.

Here is na important note! After soaking the nuts does everyone rinse them REALLY, REALLY, REALLY well? You have to do this becasue they let off all sorts of nasty junk. I have also heard if they are sitting in the fridge (must refidgerate nuts after soaking if you can’t use them up right away) they are going through their little life cycles now and you must rinse them again before use. They are now germinated and ready to go to the next step, to sprout, to grow into a plant and so forth, so cellular respiration occurs. And when cellular resp. occurs, byproducts are excreted. So, you don’t want to injest these! So rinse well!!

maybe this is old news, but maybe not!

Maybe you are all just ‘allergic’ to nuts. :( So sad.

• I have tried my best to avoid nuts also b/c I know I do not digest fats well and on top of that all the delicious raw treats improperly food combine nuts with fruit which does a load on my tummy all the more. I have personally noticed I am more backed up and feeling unwell despite the delicious taste after nuts and even seeds- blended, soaked, etc. I just wish I had more power in me to turn down the raw dessert pies and snacks with nuts. I can do it no problem with cashews- but the others are difficult.

I am curious if anyone has any problems with flaxseed, chia, and like being constipating- no matter how much water I drink- none seem to help get my system moving.

I am the same as you orgfoodaddict, I get all constipated after eating nuts/seeds.

Luna blu, it’s not about the rinsing it’s about the digestibility. I always rinse the nuts obsessively, before using refrigerated ones, etc. I am not allergic to them, I just cannot digest them. It seems like nobody could digest them. You can tell me all about how to make the nuts better, and I will tell you it doesn’t matter nuts are nuts and they are all indigestible no matter how you cut it (for me, at least). I have gone a few weeks without eating nuts and I already feel so much better without them. My chocolate mousse with avocado, coconut, fruit etc. Greens, and I have also gotten rid of oils, like olive oil, coconut oil, nut oils, etc. They are just too fatty.

I, like many other people, have a hard time digesting large amounts of fat. The only fatty thing I can process is coconut and avocado, maybe because they are balanced by protein? I have learned that when you get a craving, it’s best to leave that craving alone and eat a banana or something that will be easy to process. Not to just rely on nuts all the time. I agree that nuts taste delicious, but they just don’t agree with me. I already have so much energy and to tell you the truth I don’t get cravings anymore. Like any cooked fatty food, raw fatty foods are a problem, too in large amounts. Just because it’s raw doesn’t get around everything, fats are fats and they still have problems associated with them. They are alot better, but still a little problematic.

Does anybody agree with me here?

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I like nuts. I don’t overdo them but I believe they are very healthy and that I should incorperate them into my diet. My favourite at the moment are walnuts. They are good for the brain and memory.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

RawKidChef: How long have you been doing the raw foods diet? Maybe it will take some time to increase your digestive strength. I believe if you’re transitioning from SAD, it might take longer (I transitioned from a 4-year omnivorous organic diet, so it wasn’t too bad for me).

I’ve read gradually increasing the amount of green juices in your diet can increase digestive strength by supplying your body with minerals.

Sunbathing, vigorous exercise, deep breathing and yoga are other ways to increase digestive fire. Good luck! :)

achin I have been on raw for years, and I excessively take green food supplements. I don’t want those nuts anymore. I like to find amazing recipes that don’t contain nuts, I have created some that I will post soon!

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I eat nuts and seeds by themselves, instead of with a meal. I don’t mix them with other stuff period. I just eat them between meals as something to munch on.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that you shouldn’t eat nuts or seeds within 30 minutes of any other foods. Reason given was that the nuts and seeds will do something like neutralise the enzymes in the other foods.

I have no problems with nuts. No stomach aches, no problems digesting them. My Mom loves to eat pecans, but they send her to the restroom, and cause a bellyache. She eats them anyway.