Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bad Tastes! Bad Ingredients!

I get a strange burning taste in my mouth if something has been packaged or processed in any way now that I’m raw:

Some bad tastes I have noticed recently that prior to going raw I never noticed are:

preservatives such as sodium benzoate – ouch! it Burns! got some sundried tomatoes with this in it – big mistake. a chlorine bleach taste in carrots and celery that were packed in water – ouch! Also burns!

its horrible! it also means I have to be SO careful at lunch if I go to the grocery store for quick veggies.

:-(

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’ve had that experience – i tried some not raw salsa, and it was BAD news. tasted yuck.

I’ve heard that combining non raw and raw ingredients is a recipe for disaster. Things just don’t come out well. I’ve had this happen before i went all raw. gross.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Yes. Me to. Pre-packaged baby carrots taste like soap.

I was WONDERING why my prepacked organic baby carrots tasted strange. are they coated in something? hmm… i should check. YIPES!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I’ve had this happen too!!! I got sundried tomatos with sulfur as a preservative because I couldn’t find any without, and it tasted bad and made me feel nauseated. But I soaked them in some filtered water for a while and made some tomato dressing in the blender, and they tasted okay.

• HMmmmm…one of my hesitations going raw is just not enjoying the taste of things..like carrots and apples, and other fruits and veggies . Maybe they don’t taste good to me because of the way the are handled,processed,packaged, ect.

• I have found I don’t even enjoy getting raw takeaway anymore. I recently got raw mock sushi at Bonobo’s here in NYC and felt like crap for the rest of the day. At this point, I only feel really good on fresh fruits, veg, and nuts/seeds (again, in moderation) or raw foods that I have prepared. My body reacts to other prepared foods (even if raw) immediately.

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

YES, I have experienced this too. After eating organic fruits and veggies, anytime I eat non-organic, they taste like crap!! I can always tell if something is organic or not now.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Oh my gosh…I eat some organic fruits, but mainly conventional. Well, I’ve been 100% for 9 days, and the past 3 or 4 days, everytime I eat a conventional avocado, the stem area tastes SICK! Like pure poison. So, now I’m not eating that part, lol. I guess the chemicals leak into the avo the most from the stem, makes sense. Ugh, sucks though. At least I know now, though!

• well now I know why I’ve been buying real carrots lately rather than baby carrots! I didn’t even realize I was doing it, but I hadn’t had a real carrot since I was a kid. theyre so much better

• Mon46 – A lot of raw restaurants (and even raw cookbooks) use non-raw ingredients such as Nama Shoyu, miso, nutritional yeast, etc. Whenever I have marinated mushrooms at Cafe Gratitude I second guess it now, since the recipe in their cookbook calls for Nama, I assume they serve it in the restaurant :(

I also have only been getting the organic whole carrots lately too!! I used to buy already shredded carrots to add to salads, but the organic whole ones are sooo much better I just shred them myself now with a cheese grater.

I used to only buy organic occasionally since it is more expensive, but now if it isn’t organic I won’t even bother. I usually prefer the little sugar plum tomatoes or roma tomatoes, but lately TJ’s hasn’t had the organic roma’s anymore so I have had to switch to a different kind just to get organic.

Yeah – i’m with ya there, renoir. now i’m committed to buying only organic. i think the pesticides have been making me sick (digestive stuff) and this is the last straw. organic – or i won’t even bother.