Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Newbie question about salad dressing

Hey,

Is store bought salad dressing raw? I am thinking no because I see a lot of raw salad dressing recipes out there.

Can you buy raw salad dressing at the local food store?

Comments

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

If you have lemons and olive oil, you have salad dressing. Add a little Nama Shoyu if you have some. There are great dressing recipes on this site. The herbed Vinaigrette is my favorie. One of the BEST things about salads on the Raw plan is the dressings. They are delicious. Just jump in and make one. You can do it.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i have been having a little oil and vinegar. the other day i had my salad plain. it’s kinda nice that way after you get used to it.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

store bought salad dressings are not raw, because they’ve been pasteurized so that they’ll keep in bottles and not go bad. i’ve not found raw dressing at my food coop, and they’re good about carrying raw products. sooo…i doubt it.

but… the good news is, raw dressings are easy. and there’s so many good ones on this site. note: blending nuts or seeds will give you a creamy dressing. it’s fun stuff!

• Is dijon mustard and honey ok to use??? Love it! Sweet and Spicy

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

tahini, lemon juice, and a squirt of agave or honey if you have some all whisked together makes a lovely dressing.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

dijon is pasteurized if it comes in a sealed container. but you can make your own, (grind mustard seeds and mix w/ vinegar?). raw honey is available, but again, it must say “raw” honey, if not, and it comes in regular containers at the store, not raw (it’s been heated so it can be easily bottled). raw honey often comes in larger glass containers, with the local farm name on it. how to know if it’s raw? it will crystallize after you buy it. nonraw honey doesn’t.

elizabeth – yes, that’s good stuff – tahini. herbs nuts honey are excellent.