Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Swimming!

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone,

I’m joining the Y and am taking up some swimming exercise, while my knee heals. I guess my main concern is the chemicals present in the water, and also I worry that I will not get the workout I seek, or something like that. Is there a way to make water exercise pretty intensive, so I feel like I’m working out at the intensity level that I need to?

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Swimming is pretty much the most strenuous exercise there is. Just swim hard and trust me, you’ll get tired fast.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

MOTH- Are you going to use an Aquajogger or swim laps? i can’t remember if you are training for a distance event. You’ll love it anyway. A client of mine told me about Aqua ears—An underwater MP3. That’s what I needed.

• I don’t know about the amount of chemicals but there are saline pools out there. I would think that the amount if any is far less than chlorine pools. Swimming definitely utilizes every muscle in your body, it’s just very easy on the joints so you don’t feel the pull as much as most exercises.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I think I’m going to get into a swimming aerobics program at the gym. My knee has been so slow with healing and I desperately need to do some type of stenuous exercise (all that raw energy, heh), so I’m hoping swimming for an hour or two everyday will help me out. I’m triggery when it comes to my weight and size and workig out helps to reassure me that I’m not packing on the pounds while being idle. ( I know the poundage is probably all in my head, but I do love the way I feel when I exercise)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

What about the chlorine? How will that affect my skin?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I’m thinking of getting back into swimming also. However, I think chlorine really is quite bad for you. Maybe not as bad as lack of exercise though. If you enjoy it, then don’t spend your time worrying about the chlorine. I’ve been swimming in pools most my life and I can’t say I’ve noticed any problems. If you are prone to dry skin it might make your skin a bit itchy, but so would salt water, so bring along some moisturizer just in case.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yeah i was a swimmer and need to get back into as well. i used to use a swim cap and soap off really well after the swim but it is somewhat damaging to your skin. Unless you have a lake nearby and a wetsuit, I suppose it is the best you can do. Ys are awesome too. We have a saline pool in open in the summer here but it gets pretty crowded.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

If you are joining the Y, you can bet the chlorine levels in the pool are HIGH! I mean, you will definatley be able to smell it just walking in pool room.

Chlorine is a carcinogen and a poison. Soaking in a chlorine laded Y pool will get you lots of chlorine absorbed into your skin.

They say they just taking a shower (unless you have shower filter that removes chlorine) your skin absorbs alot more chlorine than if you drink tap water with chlorine in it.

I have alot of exposure to chlorine in myself. By that I mean, straight chlorine bleach – I used on my jobs and once on my skin to get a bad suntan dye off. Ugh! I am sure that the exposure to all this chlorine is one of the factors in development of precancerous polyps in my colon since I had no other risks factors (I read a book on this). So, now I avoid all chemicals esp. chlorine.

I would think twice about soaking in a chlorine pool if I were you. I know it has a history of being “safe” and that it “kills bacteria and sterilizes” and such so people think it is good. But honestly it is a poison.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006930/3/prweb36…

In our new apartment building we have a really nice cute pool but I will probably never step foot in it because of the chlorine in it. It sucks too because I love to be in the water.

I would look around to see if you can find a ozoniated pool – it is new method to keep the pool water clean but no chlorine.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Thanks for the info, people. I was hot on the swimming idea for awhile, but then I started thinking about the clorine, and since I’ve recently started cutting every chemical out of my life, I’m not eager to start interacting with new ones.

I’ll check out and see if there is a ozoniated or saline pool in my area (you never know).

Happily, my knee is healing, and I was able to do a few miles on my bike today so looks like swimming isn’t necessary.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Queenfluff, thanks for the info about ozonation! I was able to find a couple pools which use it. Apparently Europe has been using it for the last 50 years.

One disturbing quote: