Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

substitutes for agave nectar?

i live in a small town with no health food stores, is there anything else that could easily replace it?

Comments

• raw honey or dates (if making in recipes)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

agave is rarely raw anyway. date syrup (you can make it yourself, as i learned on this site with a little water and a pinch of sea salt). also, as summer approaches you might be able to buy stevia in bunches at the farmer’s market. that stuff is SUPER sweet!

also, a lot of recipes that call for agave on this site (not the desserts obviously) don’t really need it in my opinion. i tend not to sweeten savory things.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I agree – agave is rarely raw, and it’s not really necessary in most desserts. They tend to be sweet enough. Keep dates around – they’re an excellent substitute for agave. They’ll sweeten anything. Yum! Soak em for 30 minutes before blending them, so they get soft.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I personally like to use figs. It’s not as sugary as dates, but it gives a nice fruity sweetness. Raisins work as well. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

you can buy stevia online which is sweet, and that mesquite stuff, and lucama. They’re pricey superfoods though, I’d stick with bananas, raisins, figs and dates.