Too much fiber?!

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

So, I still have upset stomach and DIARRHEA! -brings to mind that Pepto Bismal song…hehe. I have read on the internet that too much fiber can cause diarrhea. The problem is, raw people pretty much only eat fiber! Tons of fruits and veggies! I looked up ways of stopping diarrhea and found the BRAT diet.Anyone heard of it? It stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast, which is what you should eat to alleviate the runs. Well, obviously, I can’t eat that stuff…except bananas, but I don’t have any.

The point is, how the heck can I stop this when all I eat is fiber?! Over time, will my body slowly adjust to this big load of fiber I’m intaking and eventually not give me the runs? Is this like a detox?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Rawsiki~ Having diarrhea can be caused by many things… detoxing (see detox description), food poisoning (the response is again a detox), a physiological issue, etc. Even though the symptoms are not usually considered “pleasant”, it is usually a good thing for the body. Drinking tons of water, even some with lemon, is a good thing to do so you help the body flush faster and stay hydrated (dehydration is a common and sometimes serious consequence of diarrhea). If it continues for over a week, check with a health professional to see if something that needs immediately attention is going on.

My understanding is the BRAT diet is to slowly reintroduce food to a digestive tract that has been a bit stressed and not shock it like dairy, meat, and other hard to digest foods do.

Hope you have a good book… ;)

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I actually drink tons of water 9-10 cups per day and I have had these symptoms on and off for like 2 weeks now.

Maybe someone will spot a problem in my diet if I list what I ate.

Yesterday, for breakfast, I had a red apple, 1/2 cup oat groats with a small handful of raisins, walnuts, and some homemade apple sauce (water & apples)

Lunch was a sweet potato and a bowl of tofu, some cooked brown rice, tomatoes, carrots, and mushrooms.

I had an orange for a snack

For dinner, I had two big bowls of green peas, tofu, and mushrooms with another big bowl of cauliflower.