Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Toxins in water bottles

These are re-usable water bottles that many people use. They are being banned in Canada.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080418/bpa_ban.html

Comments

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Oh god, those things! I bought one and threw it out the next day because my water tasted like plastic. I’m sticking with Sigg from now on. Good link though SocaL.

• I looked at the website for Sigg. Looks like the bottles are made of aluminum. I wouldn’t drink or eat anything from aluminum. There have been findings that alzheimer’s might be caused by consuming foods that were cooked on aluminum pots and pans, so drinking water from aluminum would likely expose you to the same problems. Besides that, if you have ever used anything made of aluminum you will notice that your hands get covered with a black coating after handling it. This leads me to believe that the oxidization of aluminum can easily seep into the water.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I just use a glass mason jar to bring water with me. Works great…and lot’s cheaper too!

• I think glass is the only thing that’s really safe. I use glass but unfortunately I pour water out of gallon plastic bottles into my glass bottle. I have very high mineral well water coming out of the tap that tastes terrible, and I don’t think it can be easily filtered. Does anyone know of any good reliable filters that can be used on this type of well water?

I know that Sigg has tested their bottles and they are certified to leech nothing into the water. Also, I think the insides are made of a type of ceramic coating which will bend rather than crack if the bottle is dropped. However, their thermal bottles are lined with aluminum.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

Limelady- We have minerals and sediment in our well. My husband has several filters on our system. The first one is a spindown screen strainer that filters the large particles. The second one is a 25 micron polyester filter. The third for drinking water is a 1 micron followed by a carbon filter (for taste). You can get them at any good reputable hardware store. You don’t want to strain out all the minerals since your body does need some of them. We do prefer the filters with clear houseings so that we can see when the filter needs to be changed.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

Limelady- We have minerals and sediment in our well. My husband has several filters on our system. The first one is a spindown screen strainer that filters the large particles. The second one is a 25 micron polyester filter. The third for drinking water is a 1 micron followed by a carbon filter (for taste). You can get them at any good reputable hardware store. You don’t want to strain out all the minerals since your body does need some of them. We do prefer the filters with clear houseings so that we can see when the filter needs to be changed.

• Limelady: we use the Aquarain gravity water filter. See aquarain.com for the specs.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Anyone know about the ‘enviroproduct’ bottle sold at Whole Foods?

• Thanks tdg and Barbraw, for the information on filters. Are any of these the type of filters that can just be attached to the kitchen faucet? I rent an apartment in an old house and wouldn’t be able to do any other plumbing as I don’t think my landlord would allow it and I’m sure water purity just isn’t an issue for him. MOTH: I have an enviroproduct plastic (polycarbonate) bottle that I bought at Gabriel Cousen’s “Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center” when I stayed there in 2006. I had faith that the people at the “Tree of Life” would know what kind of bottles are good. I thought these were safe maybe they did too, but have since found out that polycarbonate leaches Bis phenol A into the water. I’ve read somewhere that it could be carcinogenic and it disrupts hormone balance. I sent an email to enviroproducts months ago questioning this but I never got a response from them. I tried to call them today and got a voice mail that said it was full and could not take any more messages. Obviously they don’t seem to want to be accountable. I certainly would NOT recommend buying their products. Also I just heard on the news that the makers of the Nalgene bottles were recalling them because of safety issues. Although glass is not always convenient it’s probably the safest. I don’t know anything about the Sigg bottles. Maybe they are another good alternative.

• Limelady: The aquarain gravity water filter is a 3 gallon stainless steel container that sits on your kitchen counter. It has 4 ceramic filters inside that removes all the bad stuff, including chlorine. We filter all our drinking water through this filter—no plumbing required, no electricity, no water pressure, very simple—but much more effective than the pitcher type filters like Britta. It can be used to filter rainwater in the event of an emergency. Check out aquarain.com.

• Thanks Barbraw. I will check out the website. It sounds like something I could use.

• So what’s the bottom line on water bottles? I can’t exactly send my 9 year old off to her activities with a glass jar of water. Is there a safe bottle to use?

Yeah, I’m not exactly going to carry around a glass jar of water either. Here is what they say on Sigg’s website: http://www.mysigg.com/

I have heard stories about the safety of aluminum. Should I be concerned about drinking from an aluminum SIGG bottle?

“No, not at all. SIGG bottles have been thoroughly tested both in Europe and in the USA to ensure 0.0% leaching

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

whole foods and other stores sell non-toxin 1 gallon, 3 gallon and 5 gallon reusable containers. i go fill up my bottle weekly from their filtration system. at 39 cents a gallon it beats bottled water for sure. it’s reverse osmosis, which i’ve heard good things about.

• I wouldn’t trust any company that hides behind a statement like this:

What exactly is the SIGG liner made of?

SIGG has perfected the formula of its proprietary inner liner over decades of scientific research and Swiss engineering. The ingredients (like the formula for Coca-Cola) remain secret and unavailable to 3rd parties so as to ensure SIGG retains its competitive advantage. The key of course is that the SIGG liner is FDA approved and independently tested to be taste and scent inert

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I love my Sigg. I hope it is safe. I have given up Nalgene since when I found out they were supplying products to scientists that are used to torture rabbits and other small animals. I hope Sigg continues to do well. down with nalgene!

so I still do have a brita filter. should I get rid of that too?

• Has anyone tried the stainless steel water bottles called Klean Kanteen? I just bought one and I love it for my smoothies. They come in 12oz, 18oz, 27oz, 40oz sizes. Even the inside part of the screw on stopper is stainless steel! Here’s their website if anyone wants to check it out. http://www.kleankanteen.com/

• I used glass bottles for years. Only started to use a Nalgene a few years back. It was touted as safe! maxinatux: Thanks for link to kleankanteen. Steel is not totally enert though. It may leach a few inorganic minerals into the water or juice but its probably better than chemicals like Bisphenol A.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I love my Sigg bottle too – as does my husband and son! Sigg is 100% leach free!

I have a Klean Kanteen but i don’t like it – i can taste the aluminum. I prefer my Sigg! And, the Sigg was only $1 more! I’m not sure if Klean Kanteen is 100% leach free or not.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

You know, i recently purchased SIGGS for the whole family. At this point they are new and i’m not worried. i trust my sense of smell. I can tell a chemical miles away. I have stuck my nose into this bottle and nothing. The water tastes much better. Same water—i just didn’t realize how the plastic was altering the taste. I just couldn’t get it down from my nalgene. SocaL-I hear you—I ordered them thinking stainless, but I must say, I’ve been very happy with it. Inner lining is baked on epoxy-based resin. I know! Regardless—there is no taste and no smell.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I do well with the Sigg bottles, too. I’ve left a Sigg bottle with water in it in my hot car in the summer for 2+ weeks and the water was fine to drink. Unbelievable.

• I checked the Klean Kanteen website FAQs and here are some of the questions and answers they had:

“What is stainless steel? Stainless steel is an iron-containing alloy made from some of the basic elements found on earth: iron ore, chromium, silicon, nickel, carbon, nitrogen, and manganese. Properties of the final alloy are tailored by varying amounts of these elements. There are more than 57 stainless steels recognized as standard alloys on the market. Klean Kanteens are constructed from high quality sanitary grade 304 stainless steel which has a low nickel content. Stainless steel has excellent resistance to stain or rust due to its chromium content making it a material of choice among the food processing, dairy and brewery industries. Stainless steel is easy to clean, durable, inert and sanitary.

Will the stainless steel react with acidic beverages? No.

Is the Klean Kanteen factory safe? ...we do regular lab testing on random shipments through a local lab in the U.S. to ensure our products are made per our specifications, are free of hazardous substances such as lead, and do not leach chromium, manganese, etc.”

There are more questions and answers you can find at their FAQ page if anyone is interested: http://www.kleankanteen.com/7faqs/faqs.html