Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Skin Doesn't sunburn?

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ve heard that when you are raw you don’t sunburn and yesterday was the first nice warm day in northern new york since october (seriously) It was 80 degrees and I laid out in the sun for about 5 hours. I am a little tan, but not burnt in the slightest.. and usually each year the first time I lay out I get a little fried (I am both Italian and Irish so my skin will burn but then usually tan the rest of the summer) Anyway.. I now believe that raw skin doens’t burn.. but I forgot the theory as to why not and I’m curious.. anyone know?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I heard Dr. Neil Nedley talk about skin cancer (briefly). If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the sun “reacting” with animal protein-or-something on the skin which may increase one chances of skin cancer.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

to be honest i’ve never had sunburn, but i would still say 5 hours in the sun is a little excessive. the truth is, we have depleted the ozone layer. so while the sun is still our friend, i try to keep in mind that its still not as safe as it was when we were living truly natural lifestyles. i wear all natural sunscreen (edible) and it seems to work fine.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

kminty—I am a walking skin cancer risk—so very fair, but I just don’t burn at all anymore since being raw. germin8—yes I remember it has to do with the sun boiling the toxins that come to the surface in the sun—so when you eat as many anti-oxidants as we do, it becomes a non-issue. That said, when we spend a week in July at the beach on the Gulf Coast of Fla—you better believe I’m wearing a natural sunscreen. That’s another topic—the chemicals in sunscreen.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

elizabethh—agreed. moderate sun exposure is the way to go… i’m curious what your edible sunscreen is?

i too have heard it’s the anti-oxidants.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I”m sorry, I’ve had sunburn to the point of sun poisoning. It’s theory that I’m not willing to test, lol! I’m a sun worshipper but I wear protection and avoid the sun in the worst part of the day. To do otherwise is just plain foolish, IMHO!

• Elizabethh, I am curious about your edible sunscreen as well. Do you make it?

• I’ve heard all sorts of reasons why, such as the sun “baking” hydrogenized foods settled under the skin layers, animal proteins, etc.

There is a great book called The Healing Sun. It details the history of sun bathing and how beneficial it is to us.

The sun can be very healing (great for rashes, eczema, etc) but as with anything moderation is key.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

The theory is the enzymes I think. Esp if you are eating tropical fruits. I am very pale (polish, dutch and swedish). My natural skin has sort of blueish undertone (since going vegan and doing raw I have more color though) so I would always burn now I might get a bit red on the first pass of spending a lot of time in the sun but other than that nothing – I actually tan! (it takes me a while to get really tan but it is still better than burnt).

For those of you who use sunscreen you might want to think twice about using it too much, believe it or not it can actually cause skin cancer. Listen Alissa Cohen’s Rawkin Radio Podcasts (I think it is number 3 that has the info) where Alissa explains how the chemicals in sunscreen “cook” into your skin and can cause skin cancer. http://rawkinradio.com/page/4/

there is also a thing here on sunburn and sun:http://www.rawguru.com/elctro.html

I normally use some coconut oil and at the beginning (if I don’t have a tan yet) limit my hours in the sun.

• I can tell you with absolute certainty that raw skin DOES sunburn!!! Granted, I’ve only been totally raw since Jan 10 of this year. However, I was only in the sun a total of 1 hour and 15 minutes on Saturday and my face and upper cheast are flaming red!!!! They hurt so bad and I’ve butchered my poor aloe plant trying to get some relief!

PLEASE let me know about the edible sunscreen!!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

After eating colors my skin has changed.. Have any of you had a skin color change? All my lily white areas are “pinkish orange”... Are yours?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I have always been in Kevins boat, severe sunburns on my extremely fair skin to the point of poisoning… But after a year of heavy dark green, red and orange twice a day, I have noticed a color change in my skin… Last year I always wore a sunscreen but this yr I am having trouble thinking about all those chemicals… I have been looking at the more natural ones but am still hessitant… So I have been going out gardening without protection other than clothing… So far so good, so maybe all these anti-oxidants are working for me… What do you think? Have any of you had a skin color change? All my lily white areas are “pinkish orange”... Are yours???

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I turn orange when I eat too many carrots! I noticed it a couple of years ago, someone was staring at my feet, when I looked down, they were definitely orange. I called a nurse i know and she immediately asked if I’d been eating alot of carrots, she said it is the beta carotene. I spoke with my mother and she said it happened to me as a baby too!

• yeah my palms are more…orange than most people’s. My body is VERY sensitive to the carrots but I eat them anyway. As long as my face isn;t orange…then I’d look like a fake baker. I definitely still burn…I live in the mountains and went for a 2hr walk yesterday although it was only 45 degrees, and I burned. I generally wear moisturizer with SPF15 every single day…I still look like I’m in high school though I’m out of college – I want to keep my young skin for when it matters!

• Something else I forgot to mention. I was at a workshop yesterday and I mentioned my sunburn during introductions, since I noticed another guy had one as well. During a break, he ran up to me and said “here, let me put some Lidocaine on your chest.” I’m a sucker – I didn’t say no because, well – he didn’t really ask and we about to start the workshop again so I didn’t really think about it. It felt cool at first, but when I absent-mindedly touched my chest, it made a noise that crinkled like plastic. Ew!

I washed my chest off last night before bed. This morning my face had turned a nice tan color. My chest, on the other hand, is raw and so tender, even still! It hurts as much as it did the first day – if not more!! Cursed Lidocaine!

So my opinion is that you can burn on raw – but as long as you don’t put any chemical crap on the burn – you should heal quickly and painlessly.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

that would be great if it works! I burn easily so slather on the sunscreen. unfortunately, i should not be doing this because I am Vit D deficient. i gotta stick my head in the sun more often. :-)

• what is the spf on natural sunscreen?

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i know for sure that lycopene will prevent the skin from burning, there have been studies done on that.