Shelf life? Help!

KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

What’s the average shelf life of dehydrated items? Will putting them back in the dehydrator for just a few hours after a few days or somesuch extend their life? What about frozen items? What sort of things keep better? Being made almost entirely of nuts will truffle balls keep in the freezer longer than other things?

I’ve just had my first week at the farmers market. Untill I’m a familiar sight, I think the longer shelf life items should be my starting point.

No one bought my local organic carrots in almond “peanut” sauce. I figured that would be a shoe in. I could point to my grower. Can I freeze this? (I don’t expect it to be resellable, but can’t use it all in the next day, so it would be for personal use.)

Are there any “fresh” dishes that can be frozen ahead and sold thawing?

I educated several people who knew nothing about raw other than they heard it was wonderful for you. I even suggested…. HERE! :)

All input greatly valued and cashed away in my head. (Now where did I put my hand eye coordination?)

Comments

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I hate to do this but… BUMP I really would like some input. There’s some really smart people here.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Dehydrated stuff lasts for ages. You can put it back in to crisp it up, no problem. My bread lasts for at least 2 weeks kept in an airtight container. Personally I have kept it for a month and it never seems to alter in taste. I had some essense bread I forgot I made and it was a couple of months old, it tasted like it was fresh out of the dehydrator. It was dehydrated bone dry though. Keep dehydrated stuff in an airtight container to keep moisture out of it. Food testing for shelf life is pretty cheap. Here it costs

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Congrats on your new venture!

Do you use something like a “seal-a-meal” thangy to suck out all the air from your packaging? If there is no air present in the packaging, the food will last longer. You can’t get all the air out of using ziplock type bags or clear wrap. Shelf life depends on different factors including air and moisture, so there isn’t a “one rule fits all”, no easy answer to your question.

Do you have samples for people to try? Samples might help with sales even though it adds cost.

Keep experimenting… success usually doesn’t happen (unless you are extremely lucky) in the first few tries… even for very experienced people.

Sending you lots and lots of success energy… and patience. :)