Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

flax seed and ground flax meal

tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I made some crackers this weekend with some whole flax seed in it. They were yummy. However (BEWARE…. TMI ahead….) I had terrible diarrhia and puking afterwards. Does anyone else have this problem?

I also made up a batch of some crackers (before my symptoms started) with ground flax but couldn’t eat them. They stunk so bad it nearly made me sick. Was the ground flax old maybe? Or is that just the way that ground flax seed smells?

What are some things I can use in place of flax seed in recipes?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’ve never had a problem with smelly flax seeds. they could have been rancid. i’ve smelled flax oil and THAT was disgusting. fishy. i couldn’t convince myself it wasn’t fish. so i returned it. maybe that’s what happens they go rancid?

i’d buy from a place that has a higher turnover.

also, it’s totally possible to make crackers without flax at all. you just have to rework the measurements a little, like add more olive oil and some more seeds, or some more nut pulp. i like to use fresh veggies (or veggie pulp) as well. blend until the consistency resembles the “with flax” consistency… that is, thick and batter-like. it should spread easily without separating too much.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I’m on a chia kick I guess, lol. They make a great replacement for flax. No flavor or odor. They will take on the flavor of whatever they are combined with! I found chia seeds while looking for a binding substitute.

• tdg your flax crackers probably fermented instead of drying. Important to flip them over as soon as they can be handle, if not the mixture will ferment underneath the dried part. Chia is a good replacement to flax as kevin mentioned. Not as harsh on the colon.

• Sabrina1979Sabrina1979 Raw Newbie

I absoluteky love kandace sun dried tomato flaxseeds..the only thing they did to me was giving me terrible gas because i ate too many…

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

They may have been rancid. Needless to say they are in the garbage!

kevin7197: thanks. I will try chia seeds.

RawNutrition.ca: Ew. That is not a good thought. It may have fermented though. At any rate I will not be using the flax seeds for a long while or at least until I can get a new fresh batch from a place that I trust to have a high turnover rate.

Sabrina: I think I will try that recipe but using the chia seeds. I guess I am a little gunshy on the flax seeds.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I keep flax in the freezer. never had any problems, but I tend to get constipated rather than the other.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I buy flax seeds and grind them in a coffee mill then store them in the freezer. Once ground they reputedly go rancid rather quickly.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I have to grind the flax before using it in cracker recipes—just can’t digest it whole.