Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How can I tell if my Durian is ready to eat?

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Well I am giving the thing another try! Got one in China town today and have no idea how to tell if it is ripe or not! So, how can I tell? And for that matter, how do I open the thing? (had a durian smoothie the first time!)

Hope I got me good one! :P

Comments

• I love durian~ Enjoy it :)

Sometimes you can tell that durian is ripe and ready when it begins to split slightly near the top or very bottom. When I first tired durian my husband took a knife to it and cut it down the middle. LOL, we learned the hard way that a knife is just not necessary!

I am able to split open my durian with my hands (without getting hurt!). You may notice that between the spines it is very soft. Try prying it apart near the top between 2 of the prickly spines. You’ll have to tug on it but you can split it apart w/your hands.

or do a search on youtube.com i saw a how to video there once.

There’s a great recipe in David Wolfe & Shazzzie’s book Naked Chocolate that involves: 1 durian, 1 young coconut, a handful of cacao nibs, and a ball pond!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

yES! I want to try that from their book! I don’t have access to a ball pond though, so I’ll just loll around and cuddle with my dog! lol.

Thanks for the info and the pic. It looks seriously alien! :)

• i didnt have access to a ball pond either. my husband and i decided to skip the ball pond and just roll around in bed….wink wink

oh and we took this pic:

and a quote from Naked Chocolate:

“Those who eat durians are known to be more attractive. Singapore lore says “when the durians come down from the trees, the sarongs come off” ~

HMMMM, that sounds like more fun than lolling aobut with my dog, but the hubby wants nothing to do with the durian!

Girlfirend, that picture is way too much for my filthy mind!!!!:)

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I’m scared.

Well, i am sitting here eating a pudding i made with durian and raw cocoa. I think I like it plain better. Actually, I am not sure what i think. It has an indescribable taste. Kinda like a sweet custard tinged with…. onion? I have no strong feeling either way about the thing. It is supposed to effect you the same way raw cocoa does. So down the hatch, and let the body figure it owt.

Tell you one thing, it wasn’t as stinky as I thought it was going to be. AND, if I ate this stuff since I was a kid, I would probably adore it now.

• hahaha, after watching Shazzie’s youtube video “Duriasm” we started taking some duriastic photos….she’s such an inspiration.

yes, i too prefer durian as is, right outta the shell. it’s said that durian should best be eatin and enjoyed at night because of the high levels of tryptophane. so mixing durian and cacao seems like an organic speedball…i enjoy it.

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

that looks like a vagina.

there’s a shop down the street from my home that sells durian smoothies…i think i’ll try one before springing for a whole one – the smoothie’s only about 3 bucks or so.

msrawdiva – thanks for stateing the painfully obvious!:)

mrs.revBT – The big D fruit is great with cinnamon and nutmeg! I am sure they come from outerspace. Tryptophane? no wonder i felt so mellow after I ate it!

mrs.revBT – I watched the duriasm vid. on YouTube!! Oh my goodness she is naughty! :) I really like Shazzie, she is too cute! I have watched other vids. of her before, and she comes off very likable! I don’t know if i would want to rub Durian all over me!

• Luna blu- thanks for the durian tip…I’ll have to try out the cinnamon and nutmeg. i agree, durians must come from outerspace. i was reading in Naked Chocolate that this fruit is a favorite of orangutans, elephants, tigers, & all other jungle creatures~ as for Shazzies Duriasm…if while eating a really ripe durian it would be hard not to get the curstard like stuff all over your hands and face. I just love how she made such an exotic fruit so sexy. especially since i hear many people talk about how “bad” it smells, which it does not.

• ah yeah msrawdiva.. I got a bit distressed when I looked up pictures. I try not be be scared away from food by appearances but Idon’t know how I’ll be able to handle the look of that.

• We have a new Vitnamese grocery store in town that sells them. I thought about about buying it and then remembered all of the talk on here. But talk about putting it in a smoothie – that’s a different thing. What part do you eat?

• EnjoyRaw – you eat the “fleshy part”. it’s custardly-like and surrounds a seed pod.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

moxandspaceships: If the appearance scares you, you can buy it frozen and deshelled. They sell it by the pound.

Luna blu: You can tell it’s ready and willing to be eaten when it smells strongly, along with the longitudinal split that develops. :)

achin70 – ‘willing’! that suits the big D! it looks as though if it weren’t ready, it might attack you! Hee hee :)

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Holy crap…when I saw the first pic I thought, the thing on the left looks like a freaky dog penis’. But THEN…. I scrolled down, and lo’ and behold, the vagina. I guess the thing pro-creates with itself, very odd. Lol.

• I love the pictures! There’s nothing better than erotic nature! Anywho…The durians I buy are always whole and frozen. Does anybody else buy them like that? I never know how long to let them thaw since they’re usually larger than my head!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

That’s one of the weirdest things I’ve seen in my entire life.

Can’t wait to eat one! :-)

• chakra essence – i buy mine whole and frozen too. i usually let them thaw for about a day (or until i see no trace of frost between the spikes).

so, when does it “smell”? i want to get a whole one – they come frozen – and i don’t want to offend my family members. so…does it smell when thawed or when opened?

and can i make mine to look freaky so i can get my husband to eat one, too?

lol!

so, when does it “smell”? i want to get a whole one – they come frozen – and i don’t want to offend my family members. so…does it smell when thawed or when opened?

and can i make mine to look freaky so i can get my husband to eat one, too?

lol!

• msrawdiva – i’m used to the smell so i dont notice it that much. my older son always knows when i’m eating durian cos he smells it right when i split it open. i’m sure you can get your durian to look freaky too…watch Shazzie’s “Duriasm” video on youtube.com if you can….LOL

msrawdiva: It’s supposed to smell strongly maybe a day or two after the longitudinal splits develop.

However, I bought a frozen one last week, and I keep waiting for split to develop. It never did, and mold started growing on it today. I had to throw it out! So maybe the split doesn’t develop on some durians. :(

i’m going right now to get a durian smoothie! i’ll report on it when i get back.

okay – ms. rev – i saw the video. when my husband gets back, i think i’ll make him a maca shake and play the vid for foreplay!

went to get the smoothie…the guy (he was a teen) said “you SURE you want one? i said “yeah”...he said “well, try the ice cream first”. i got a spoonful of the ice cream and smelled it first – stinky…my 2 teen girls gagged. but when i tasted it, it was good! one of my teens tried it – she didn’t like it. so, i ordered the smoothie. he made it with LOADS of durian. i drank about 1/3…the smoothie was almost 32 oz and it cost $2.95. i saw him make it…there had to have been an entire half of the durian in the smoothie. i just couldn’t get that taste from the back of my throat. so i threw it away and decided to get a jackfruit smoothie to wash down the aftertaste.

the jackfruit smoothie was good, but i still have that taste in the back of my throat.

so, i’ve come to the conclusion that durians are cool but i can only eat a bit at a time. the smell is FAR worse than the taste.

I find the very first mouthfull a bit off putting, but if you keep eating it, it get better!! I don’t like it blended in any way, I find it brings out the oniony taste! If you open one up, and get into it from scratch, I found them not to be as stinky as everyone seems to think! It’s more fun anyway!!

So I bought another frozen whole durian, waited until it was “willing” to be devoured, and I have to say it was very tasty, but the fibrous part of the fruit is slightly nauseating. The creamy, custardy part is great, though. It will just take a little getting used to!

It sure is energizing, though, in all the right ways!

I’ll have to spring for a fresh durian someday. It’s $5.99/lb. here in Seattle for the fresh ones, so I’m looking at spending about $30 for a 5 pounder.

Oh, another way to tell the durian is ready to eat is that when you shake it, you will hear the golden pillows moving around inside. LOL. :)

Woah, that is expensive!!! It’s 99 cnets a pound at the Asian market here!!

I got another one this past Sunday, and it was not easy to get into although it tasted like the other one that was ‘willing’. Man, it was really yummy!!!!! I had it with a whack of cocoa nibs and Thai coconut water to drink. What a feast! It was awesome. I have more in the fridge. In TWO ziplock bags which I had to put into a grocery bag and tie off at the top. It is so stinky when you haven’t been right there with it for a while!!;)

Happy eating achin70 :)