Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does anyone else feel a bit 'iffy' about MC?

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I was thinking aobut doing one of these but I am really skeptical about them. Does anyone else think the master cleanse might be a little hokey? I mean, it would be great if it REALLY does work, but i have my doubts. I really don’t want to mess up my digestive system!

Am i the only one who is unsure about the thing?

Comments

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

No, I wouldn’t do it. I did it for 3 days until it dawned on me… maybe drinking maple syrup and cayenne all day isn’t the best idea. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

yeah, i read about it and I don’t think I’ll ever try it. It sounds awful.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i would try it, i don’t see the harm. i’m a little iffy about the salt water thing though.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I think people who swear by it as a lifestyle are a bit overzealous ( imho ) but if you approach it from the perspective of a simple fast it will not harm you in the long term. Its just a way to provide your digestive system a break while supplying basic glucose needs.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Oh and I’ve done the salt water thing. Ugh. Never again. Yes it cleaned me out but as I have tendency to retain water all that sodium ( even celtic sea salt) was heinous. Blech!

• not my type of thing at all. the only cleanse i would consider is a juice feast.

• We know of people doing both before they became popular – starting 10 years ago. They are actually quite effective, especially the lemonade part. My father in law has done it daily, along with eating normally and is very healthy. He dropped near 100 pounds by only adding the lemonade to his diet every morning. I would recommend trying it. I plan on doing it very soon.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

The only bad ingredient in the master cleanse is the maple syrup. Now if you did it with some honey then that sounds a whole lot better.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I was very skeptical when I first heard about it and thought it sounded unhealthy and crazy. I spent about a week reading everything I could on it, both good and bad, I thought there was a method to the madness and understood the reasoning behind the odd concoction that you drink. I did it for 8 days and really enjoyed it. The first 3 days, I felt awful and do believe I was actually detoxing.

Like everything else in this world, it isn’t for everone. I would feel comfortable recommending it to most people. I think if you are diabetic you need to look at it more seriously and closely monitor your sugar through the process.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Thanks for the responses so far! I just have a feeling it isn’t for me.

I have not read the MC book yet, but i heard David Worlfe talking about how the guy bashes honey. DW is pro honey. I guess that’s why you use maple. There are nutrients in maple syrup, so it isn’t a horrible thing, it’s just not raw.

Maybe i will just incorporate one glass of the lemonade with no sweetener to start my day. I used to have water with half a lemon in the mornings and didn’t need sweetener. Is the lemonade made wiht a whole lemon, or just half?

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I did an 11 day MC about a month ago. I felt good during and after. I will continue to do them at regular intervals. I had a very clean diet for years prior and had been 100% raw for 6 weeks. However, I still saw some detox symptoms. I was sort of a skeptic before I tried it. I read Burroughs book (the original) and Glickman’s (a book of participants’ experiences). I continue to feel the benefits. My digestion is very good now. It helped me eliminate some habits that I wanted to (salt, too many nuts). I recommend it. I wasn’t too hip on the maple syrup as I was 100%, however, when I read the rationale, I decided 10 days wouldn’t hurt too much. I say read the books, actually Glickman has a website too. His was helpful because it answered many, many practical questions.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I don’t do such cleanses as the master cleanse. The only cleanses I do are fruit cleanses with lots of green foods (chlorella, blue green algae, Primal Defense, other supplements)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I think the master cleanse is effective, and very difficult. I feel like it’s a good way phycologically to re-set bad habits, that part was even more important for me than the physical part. I’m doing a juice fast right now and find it much easier than master cleanse, it feels healthier too because I am using a green/superfood powder that I feel is very healthy, and on the MC I felt the lack of greens was unhealthy

• I am also a little weary of it. Would it mess up your metabolism? That is my concern…. Afterwards would your body try to collect lots of fat for fear that we might do something crazy like that again?

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Good point! Our bodies are so efficient, it may panic it into thinking something has gone wrong? Maybe.

• I did it for three days after having bought and read two books on it. I don’t think I’ll try it again. I was trying to ‘reset’ my digestive system since i’ve been dealing with newly diagnosed and unfortunately very active ulcerative colitis since early February. I got the idea from someone on this site who used it to help her irritable bowel syndrome. I felt like it was way too harsh for my body – I loved the feeling of the warm cayenne and the promise of your body changing so quickly is kind of addictive – but I thought I noticed certain symptoms of mine increasing (plus I was paranoid after reading of other people getting cold sores on their lips and cancar sores in their mouths – both of which I’m horrified by). Then I found a guy on a master cleanse forum who also had ulcerative colitis. The MC made him start bleeding so badly that he had to go on steroids afterwards (which my doctor has threatened me with). That was it for me – I had a nice kale salad the next day.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Ingesting huge amounts of salt is poisoning the body. That is why your guts expell everything violently. I know fasters tend to love it, but I stay very far from this kind of fast.

wow aside from the master cleanse being ineffective and having some bad effects it is SCARY. Just plain old SCARY. I am just going by what I learned on this topic – I don’t know much about the MC and am not trying to criticise that just sounds really frightening.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

My experience with the MC was very positive. It was emotionally empowering in many ways and helped me tone up a bit (I’ve actually kept off some of the weight I lost, although I didn’t do it for the weight loss). Does it really help your body detox?? Who knows? Fasting seems to be part of so many cultures and this way made it really doable for me. I felt great while doing it. The hardest part was the salt water flush. I’d like to try other types of fasting too in a few months.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

There is an interesting article in Living Nutrition about cleanses and how some are especially dangerous. Point of the article—that natural hygiene is just that—it takes care of everything—we can look at posts from people who after a time on raw have had colonics where nothing but water comes out. We’re doing the work. I personally would not waste my money on any cleanse. I’ll see if i can find the link to this issue. It was in Ask The Nutritionists section of Volume 19. This can be ordered from www.livingnutrition.com.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I had three pelvic surgeries, and they basically put me on MCs repetedly to clear for the surgery. I would rather die an early death than subject myself to all the negative of it. They were the worst days of my life, aside from having my incision closed while I was awake. I can see one or two day juice fasts now and then, personally. I had part of my colon removed and I just wouldn’t risk anything down in there. I also know several people who have taken their digestion into their own hands for so long that they actually can’t poop without the drastic measures included in their cleanses. (One guy I know has been doing it since he was 12 and now can’t poop without. It wouldn’t suprise me if it’s part of why he’s short.)

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I have read the MC book. I haven’t done the MC but I do juice fasts instead. It is a wonderful experience.

wow krystale

• funny that this is a topic right now. I just walked by the tv in the waiting room where I work and they were talking about master cleanse on fox news. Weird

• The Master Cleanse isn’t for everyone.

One may benefit from it while the other person does not.

• I agree with Rhazula- I just came off the MC this week. It was a great experience for me. It can be a way to refocus and examine your personal relationship with food. Prior to the cleanse I was 80-90% raw for about a month and a half. I read alot about it before deciding to try it though. Just like anything else, research for yourself and make the decision based on what you think is best for you. Peace

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

My experience with Master Cleanse was horrible. I was extremely low energy for extended periods during the day, experienced headaches, couldn’t concentrate, was a complete bitch half the time… just didn’t feel good. I lost a little weight, but who really cares to be honest. And I also kinda realized that doing a “cleanse” was completely unnecessary for me, since I’m young (only 19) and pretty healthy. It’s day 8 of the cleanse for me and I am going to break it tomorrow instead of going to day 10. Not because I don’t have enough willpower or self control, but because I truly feel that this is a horrible thing to do to myself. You aren’t supposed to go 10 days without eating, and I don’t know why the hell I didn’t actually realize that before.

I wouldn’t recommend the MC to anyone unless you’re like, middle aged and have been eating a SAD diet your whole life. But I’ve been a vegan for years now, and I eat quite healthfully. I’m sure my digestive system is working perfectly fine. Sure I screw up and eat cookies sometimes (and sometimes lots of them at that), but my generally my body feels good when I eat what I eat. I’ve learned in the past 8 days that it feels awful when I don’t.

So in celebration of decided to stop the MC, I am going to go start sprouting some lentils and quinoa. Sprouts are much more healthful than grade B maple syrup, I might add.