Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

detox before going raw

would you guys suggest this? i am extremely addicted to sugar. has anyone tried the master cleanse? did you buy the kit and do it or can you do it without buying the kit? any other cleanses you suggest? thanks!

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie
  • ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hey there frostbitfairy (that sounds painful!!) I think going raw will provide you with all the detox you need. Especially if you try doing 100% raw for a couple or three months, or even just a week. It might be easier than a fast. Not to knock fasting I am a true believer in it, just thinking that you may as well just go raw…

You can use dates and sweet fruits to wean yourself off sugar.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

agreed. great things will happen when you replace REAL foods with fake foods. make yourself a whole bunch of date syrup, make fresh fruit juices, make TONS of raw desserts. remember your diet improves IN COMPARISON to the one you already have. so, it’s ok if your raw diet is less than “healthy.” if it’s raw it will be healthIER than your previous one, and you will reap the benefits.

try adding a little bit of greens to your smoothies to slowly get more greens into your diet. you can even make sweet dressings for salads by blending a little date, a little ginger, a little lemon juice and some RAW olive oil.

good luck!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I agree that raw will detox. However, the MC really helped me break a couple of bad habits. I wish I’d done it when I first went raw, I did it 6 weeks into 100% raw. I highly recommend it. It isn’t quite as difficult as it sounds. I felt great during and after and had a greater appreciation for food and the taste of pure food.

• I am not 100% but found that after a few days of making raw treats like brownies, etc. I have NO desire for sugar. When I did try to eat some, even a vegan cookie it was too sweet and I didn’t really want it.

• thanks you guys! ive been trying to get things together to go more raw, like a dehydrator and recipes. im still new to all of this. when i first heard that people ate “raw food” i didnt understand why people would want to do this or how they could have the will power to stay devoted… needless to say, i cant wait until im 100%. it might take a while to get there, but i am building up my will power…lol im so excited! why arent there more baby food recipes? i have two boys that id love to go raw with me :)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

the most important thing about going 100% if that’s what you want is not to psyche yourself out. its definitely not easy but its not an enormous struggle either (i speak from personal experience of course, others’ experiences may have been different). i find that if i view raw as a simple return to a natural and normal state, as opposed to an enormous feat of strength, its a lot easier and more fun!

• Hey elizabethh:) Just wondering if you could give me some advice i read that you are a runner and Im stuggling with my diet right now I think maybe not enought calorie consumption. wondering what you eat and how much on a daily basis and what you do before a big run? Im running 17 miles on sat and need some energy Thank you

frostbitfairy—baby food. post some! i’m sure others with babies would love the ideas. here are some off the top of my head:

apple sauce: whir 1/2 apple and 1/2 pear together with a little water.

carrot puree: blend grated carrot with a little water and some spinach.

mashed peas: blend shelled peas with a little mint and a little celery.

banana puree: blend a banana. =)

also, i just read the most sage advice from RAWvolution. amsen said it only takes a taste of BEING raw to understand how that makes you feel and it becomes its own motivation. i totally agree, even if it takes some trials and errors to get there.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I agree – once you start to feel different, that is the best and only real motivation! There is no need for will power any more; it is about choosing what works and feels great! I am in the process of writing a (small) recipe book of easy stuff – salads, sauces, dressings, desserts, etc. that don’t require sprouting or a dehydrator – just a few things to get people started with that taste good and aren’t too overwhelming – because complicated recipes and all the time involved are often really overwhelming, especially before the feeling good has kicked in enough to let you know it’s worth it!:) I started my journey by just eating lots of simple fruit and veggies with very simple dressings, or just plain or with a little olive oil and salt or something. You’ll find what works for you. Don’t worry too much ;)

• Hi frostbitfairy, This past March I did the master cleanse to transition into raw foods. For me personally I was really glad I did. Certainly everyone is different. But I was also addicted to sugar and chocolate and had been eating the SAD my whole life. I had a lot of detox symptoms during the 14 days I did it, but it really helped strengthen my will power to go raw. I have noticed continued detox symptoms being raw. Good Luck!