Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone getting by primarily on green smoothies?

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Keeping up my intake of raw food is difficult for me. The problem has always been the time it takes to put together the food. I find myself stopping at the macro deli regularly because there are no quick raw options for me. I don’t care to eat conventional, fast-food salads.

Yesterday I bought two 12 oz. stainless steel drinking bottles. I already had a 1 liter bottle. Last night I made 3 different green smoothies and filled the bottles. I took them to work and drank them all day. It was different but not unpleasant. The great thing was it fits within my lifestyle. I really like the low hassle aspect of it.

I know alot of people drink these things regularly. Logically, you coud live on them. I wonder if I would end up taking in too much fruit. I don’t know what it would be like having such a liquid diet on a regular basis. However, I think I could do this almost every day and not deviate from raw that much. I don’t care about being 100% raw. I intend to have a little cooked food or meat occasionally. I think I would like to be a minimum of 90% raw and this smoothie plan might get me there.

oes anyone have experience drinking smoothies as a major part of their diet? If so, how is that working for you? Have you seen any downside in your health? Does it create problems when you try to eat solid food? Any comment on your experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Paxton SquiggledyPaxton Squiggledy Raw Newbie

I have just started (couple of days ago) to get half my intake from raw smoothies. I hope to work up to only green smoothies for a few months. Haven’t noticed anything bad or good yet. All I can say is, I hope you have a powerful blender, with sharp blades.

I can only take my green smoothies 2 or 3 swallows at a time, then I have to rest for a few seconds. The pulp never quite liquefies in my 800 watt Hamilton Beach Classic Chrome 12 speed blender, so it can sort of drag against my palate when swallowing. That will trip my gag reflex, if I try to take any more than 2 or 3 swallows in immediate succession. I won’t barf, but almost.

• TOOONS of people do just what you’re doing, and swear by it – make the smoothies, and travel with them. If it works, it works! From what I’ve heard, over time you tolerate the green part more and more, and you’ll end up with less fruity smoothies, so I don’t think that will be a problem :) Now I feel guilty for not smoothie-ing it up!

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

I have at least two green smoothies a day. I have noticed that I am not that hungry in the morning like a used to be and normally don’t eat one until right before I leave for work. I sometimes then have one at lunch and again at dinner. I’m new to the raw thing too and this right now is my staple in my raw diet. I also make a lot of guac. So far I have been doing this for about 2 to 3 weeks now. Haven’t seen any problems. I would say I started with just one green smoothie in the morning and slowly increased it to 2 and then 3. They really fill me up. I will vary them as well. But they always start with a banana, a green, some flax seed oil, and some wheatgrass powder or other superfood powder I may have (I get the small sample size packets so I can get a variety without breaking the bank).

There haven’t been any downsides to this in my health. I feel great! I still eat solid food such as apples, pears, carrots, broccoli, celery, almonds, strawberries, blueblerries, etc. No problems. Although I do get a little gasy when I eat the raw veggies. I think my digestive system isn’t quite used to them yet. I would definiftely saw I eat WAY more fruits then veggies.

Hope this helps you. I don’t think I could be as high raw as I am without my green smoothies!!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

i have about 2 a day as well. Love my green smoothies! Every so often, I will fast/feast on them for a couple days. So good for you.

• Valerie Winters lost nearly 130 lbs last year, by drinking only green smoothies:

http://greensmoothieexperiment.blogspot.com/

I drink smoothies twice a week.

If it weren’t for green smoothies, I wouldn’t eat vegetables at all.

• Green smoothies are how I get most of my vegetables. They also help to keep me full throughout the day. I find that if I don’t have one on a certain day, it’s a lot harder for me to resist temptations because I don’t feel as full. They really are a wonderful thing.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Rhazula, thanks for sharing that link. I am so impressed with these stories. Mostly I am not as concerned with weight loss (although it is a good side effect if the pounds are not needed) but with curing major health problems, which Valerie Winters seems to have done.

I am currently trying to up my smoothie intake. I have 1-2 a day. I am curious about making them “greener” because I do fruit and 2 cups greens. Anyone have any tips? I also have a juicer.

• I haven’t done one yet, but think that I will start today, you guys have talked me into it! LOL

• I am experiencing what Kyko said in an earlier comment. When I first started making green smoothies about 5 weeks ago, it was mostly fruit (2 bananas, 8 strawberries, a little honey, and a handful of spinach). I have gradually been able to add more and more green stuff, and I don’t even notice the difference. This morning I made a smoothie with blackberries, bananas, honey, ground flax seeds, avocado, kale, and spinach. Oh man, was it good. Yesterday was the first day that I ate (well, drank) almost exclusively green smoothies. I couldn’t believe how they affected me. I went to bed at midnight and woke up at 5, full of energy. I usually drag out of bed when my kids wake up, around 8. I lost 2 pounds too! I feel AMAZING today and am repeating the green smoothie day to see what other fabulousness it brings about. I definitely do not think I would be able to eat a high percentage of raw on a regular basis without green smoothies. I just don’t love salad that much! :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I always put fruit in with my greens. I have known for sometime my body runs best on lean proteins and greens, I have been 2 days on nothing but smoothies, It is wrking we, but I would to take in less fruit.

• i drink a green smoothie once and sometimes twice a day. gotta have it! and if i’m out and about rather than carry a green smoothie w/me…i get a big 32 oz water bottle and fill it w/distilled water and a big spoonfull of vitamineral greens or just spirlina powder…shake it up…and it will sustain me throughout the day (until i can get home and make myself something more).