Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

EVERYONE Please Read!

I was just reading Cornucopia Institute’s website. And viola, the government is at it again. They are about to make our greens NON-RAW!!! The USDA wants to require STERILIZATION of greens. Meaning your spinach, bok choy, lettuce… all will be nutritionally void, due to alleged E. Coli outbreaks. More people are contaminated by e. coli from cooked food every year, than raw vegetables have over multiple years. We must be a loud community. We have until December 3rd to make our voices heard! This must not happen! They will be putting our organic farmers out of business, and slowly poisoning us. If we don’t act now, and continue fighting this war, we will see massive suffering in our lifetime. And who are we if we know the truth, yet we do nothing about it? I believe in the sensibility, hearts, and minds of vegetarians; more than that, I believe in the enlightenment of raw foodists. We are able to see what the rest of the world can not see at the moment. I love you all, and I hope that together, we can stop these actions… one at a time.

http://cornucopia.org/index.php/protect-fresh-l…

Comments

• OMG!!! I was never one for the conspiracy theory but I am slowly getting there. This has got to stop. Thanks for the post.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oh no. Well, I hope small farmers can be exempt… or that they can still sell living food. (just like that can after California Almond Board’s mandatory sterilization of almonds… you can still get them raw, dormant, direct from the farm)

Do you have a link to a .gov (government) website that state they will do this?

I was looking for the doc in regulations.gov… BUT, the SEARCH method suggested doesn’t seem to apply… The website is different.

I searched for that doc, but the search brings up several docs… the first one looks like its just a comment… not the actual doc.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Yes. i also tried to find “open comments”, but i could not find that. Is there an easier path?

• I’m sorry, I just found this early this morning. I will look in depth later this afternoon.

germin8: wish i could find and almond farm in Florida, lol. I am not buying almonds currently because I don’t have a contact. Do you know of a farm/link?

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

leaflowers2 – here is where I recently bought my almonds. They’re definitely raw: http://www.almonds-from-california.com/

Another authentic source is: http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/

• Meanwhile, the following article explains how America’s small farmers will be affected:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/ar…

• Regulations.gov Food Safety Regulations for Leafy Greens Under the Agricultural Marketing Agreement Act of 1937 (AMAA)

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component…

• Newbie:

Thank you so much for the links!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

So what exactly does USDA want to DO to the leafy greens? Pasteurize them or put chemicals on them to kill the E. Coli??

in reading the washington post article, it looks like growers that plan to sell to wholesalers, retailers, food-service purveyors and producers are most impacted. (see below excerp)

“The goal is creation of a national safety and certification program that growers would have to abide by if they want to sell their crops to wholesalers, retailers, food-service purveyors and producers such as Dole Food of Westlake Village, Calif., the world’s largest producer of fresh vegetables.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this means that you can still buy natural greens locally.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

newbie—yes, but what’s next? and most of us don’t get local greens during the off season. we’d have to start growing them ourselves. codex alimentatius aims to make that illegal… tantamount to growing pot!

i heard about this a while back and signed the petition… not sure what happened and why it’s on the slate AGAIN!

i also tried the website and found the docket, but no way to comment. help?

also, leafflowers2—wholesale-almonds.com are not pasteurized and very affordable. they use an IPM system, which is similar principle to organic.

• Unfortunately the date to reply by was december 3, 2007 – - 60 days after the proposal was submitted.

I had trouble getting the proposal to come up going through the steps offerred so I Googled the docket number and found info on it that way. (Since the date is past, that must be why following the instructions is not working.) Here are some links to the actual proposal, although it does not mention irradiating the leafy veggies, it slickly just refers to using the FDA’s guidelines instead of mentioning actual specifics. (I will look up FDA next.) Meanwhile, here are some links:

http://www.caff.org/foodsafety/ – - this page mentions that the cutoff date ended Dec 3, 2007

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component… – - Next to “Views” (under the “Docket Type” and “Docket ID”) click on either the html icon or pdf icon to read the proposal

Wonder what stage the proposal is in now?

BTW- this goes hand in hand with Codex’s agenda: http://goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/4537

pianissima, I have to look for hope. After learning about Codex, I went into a very depressed and hopeless state where I couldn’t eat or sleep. My worry was so severe that my health began to suffer. I had to take a break from certain threads in order to regain optimism. So, I looked into this issue to find a ray of hope – buying direct from the farm seems to be a way around this “leafy greens” issue (until the directive changes).

• Pianissima, thank you for the almond link, and forgive me for posting something that has already been dicussed; I have not read through all forums, prior to my joining.

Aspire, thank you for noticing the date. i too wonder what is going on with the proposal now. And I want to thank you for continuing to share information about Codex. As difficult as it is to listen to.

newbie, i’ve gone through the same thing. I have had trouble sleeping, mostly because I can’t stop thinking about my daughter’s future. But it is motivating me at the same time to have discussions with other people about where our food comes from, and how food nourishes our bodies. I had to take a couple of weeks to gather myself after learning about it. I cried a lot. Now, I just feel like I have to find strength inside of me to be optimistic for my daughter, while still trying to find ways to prevent this injustice. I know that there is a solution, we just need to find it.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

seriously reconsidering my imminent move to the USA!!!

If this goes ahead, you’ll have to either have a massive polytunnel or greenhouse or live in a hot area to have greens all year round.

Then again, I guess this is good in a perverted kind of way coz it will force people to grow their own veg which is the ideal situation, but who wants to be forced into anything?

I really feel for you guys over there, you got a big fight on your hands.

Zoe, thanks for the encouragement. If I remember correctly, you will be moving to Charlottesville, VA, which is a great location for local, organic small farms. I’ve lived near there for 5 years now and really cherish the great small farms here. If you come here, you can help us fight! :-)

leaflowers2, I’m with you. I cried a lot. What I want most is to see my son grow up to be healthy and happy. I/We have to find a way to make that possible.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

newbie—i totally know where you are coming from. it’s important to be aware so we can act, but it’s also important to recognize that in the grand scheme of things we are free beings. our energy potential rises so far up above the “little things” on earth. i try to remember bad things only occur if i place too much attention on them. if you place your energy elsewhere solutions invariably come to the surface.

leaflowers2—not at all, i’m glad you brought it up, because i too was wondering what happened to this legislation.

zoe—one thing about the USA is that it is a country of extremes. you will find so much good too.

• Thank you all for taking the time and caring enough to discuss these topics, scary as they all are to us.

Newbie, believe me- I felt (and still do sometimes) the exact same way when I first learned of Codex and the bigger picture (Eugenics). I am probably obsessed a bit too much with trying to educate people about what’s happening, but if obsession helps end this harmful cycle, I cannot feel it is a bad thing in the end. :) But that is just me. Everyone has to figure out what and if they can do to help somehow, whether it is just being aware of what’s really happening, or trying to help spread the word obsessively like me when given the chance. Or even more action like Dr. Lima Raibow and others out there attending the Codex and gov’t sessions and making videos and websites, etc. I do not have any children so I am able to focus a bit more on it since I do not have a family to take care of. The biggest, most impotant thing is to just be aware and try to be open to recognizing if and when there might be an opportunity to helping spread the word to more, even just one, when it comes along. I believe there will be opportunities for everyone one way or another. :)

I truly believe it is vitally important to first be aware of what is happening, so we start recognizing the pieces when they try to implement more crazy harmful things (stripping our rights, deadening and harming our food so we are harmed, etc), but then to NOT focus on the FEAR side of it. It is so vitally important to envision us “winning,” us overcoming and transcending this fear and superior/hate-based agenda of a minority group of people, so that we feed our positive energy into that positive outcome and not give away our thought energy (which manifest) to them (Bildenberg group/Codex/etc). We people, individuals, are far far more powerful than we ever imagined nor were ever taught growing up. Our thoughts are everything. They WANT us living in fear, for then we feel and believe we are helpless. We are not! Focus on retaining a vision of a peaceful, loving world, overcoming fear and greed for our children to all prosper in. That is how we will overcome them. Each of us, togther thinking positive (and acting when we are given the opportunity), all combine to create a winning effort.

I know it must sound “kooky” talking like that, but I hope people will just try it. It ceratinly can’t hurt, other than cause some people to possibly think outside the box a bit. :)

Read and do things that support a positive belief in oursleves and each other, whether it is providing and taking care of your family, gardening, being in nature or with animals, volunteering, helping a friend or neighbor, singing, meditating, recognizing the beauty in our world and in each other even in the smallest things, however you choose to feel and FEED positive energy is good. Just be aware of what is happening in the backgound, but do not allow your fear energy to focus on it. At the same time be open to recognizing what you CAN do to help stop it and keeping a diligent watch for their tactics. The regular media is FULL of fear-based propoganda trying to keep us all immobilized in a pradigm of fear and distraction.

I hope this made sense!

:)

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

The E.Coli comes from the human and animal waste fertilizer that they use. This stupid practice is all they would have to change to stop all veg related E.Coli infection. Of course it’s easier/cheaper to pre-cook it than to change fertilizers. But it wouldn’t be if all farmers were to change fertilizers then whatever one they all used would become the cheap one.

My hopeful side says that this kind of thing will eventually bring about a court case in which the effects of cooking will be officialy proven to be detrimental to our health. It would be good to start a class action law suit over this. Doesn’t David Wolfe have a Law Degree?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

This country is so sick and perverted.

chris! nice to see you back :-)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Chris,

It is funny you mention that about David Wolfe because you would think the would have been all over the almond thing. He didn’t want to get involved in it. Why? probably because he doesn’t even eat almonds – when the superfoods are in danger, I am sure he will jump.

I remember when I and a few other approached him at the Green Festival about getting involved in the Almond issue and he had some sort of weird theory on the whole thing (some odd conspiracy theory that had nothing to do with almonds – something about nicotine – I can’t even remember the whole thing) and pretty didn’t even like us approaching him about it. He was speaking there and he was supposed to mention about our petition and he said nothing and he was kinda bristly about us handing out info sheets to all the rawies that attended his talk.

So I wouldn’t really count on his help with the greens either. :(

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

This is so scary I can’t even bring myself to really think too much about it, just sign the petitions, spread the word and keep eating RAW.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I found the bill. But, I can’t figure out what part contains the Specialty Crop Marketing Order that would remove our ability to purchase uncooked greens. I can’t figure out what ‘engrossed as agreed to or passed by house” means. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c110:3:./temp/~c110sjCyC3:e158338: Here’s yucky info about the US giving more support for codex alimentarius… YIKES!

Farm, Nutrition, and Bioenergy Act of 2007 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)[H.R.2419.EH]

SEC. 3009. REPRESENTATION BY THE UNITED STATES AT INTERNATIONAL STANDARD-SETTING BODIES.

(a) In General- Pursuant to the authority of the Secretary provided by section 1458(a)(3) of the Food and Agriculture Act of 1977 (7 U.S.C. 3291(a)(3)), the Secretary is authorized to enhance United States support for international organizations, including the Food and Agriculture Organization, the Codex Alimentarius Commission, the International Plant Protection Convention, and the World Organization for Animal Health, that establish international standards regarding food, food safety, plants, and animals, respectively, by funding additional positions of Associate Professional Officers to address sanitary and phytosanitary priorities of the United States within applicable international organizations. (b) Authorization of Appropriations- There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as necessary to carry out this section for each of fiscal years 2007-2012.

leaflowers2 , Natural Zing also sells raw almonds.

I’ll check out the GOV article soon. Thanks.

Still haven’t read the GOV doc… but, I read this yesterday on the Wall Street Journal:

Some Suburban Neighbors become Farmers

Apparently, with one eighth of an acre and $5,500 start-up, “one can generate $10,000 to $20,000 in annual sales”!

1/8 of an acre!

I can’t find the GOV doc… can you give me a step-by-step? I’d search for it… but I don’t have the time right now… Thanks.

If not… I’ll try again later and re-post

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

you can look up the bill by searching for this: H.R. 2419 EH Section 10106

i forget what website you use… probably you can see it through the senate website. but it’s too late, the bill went to committee on april 18, 2008. now we just sit and worry.

• Or sit and believe in a positive outcome :)