Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

looking for some advice

I was wondering if anyone had some advice for how I should start a transition into raw. I don’t know if I want to go 100% anytime soon but this site had definelty peaked my interest in the lifestyle.

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hello Emmie. Why not try drinking a green smoothie every day. The Botenko’s did an experiement where they took a dozen or so people and they didn’t change anything except they had a green smoothie every day. Every person on the experiment, after 2 weeks of it said they had symptom relief from their various ailments and they also, felt themselves making healthier food choices because their bodies started to naturally crave and desire raw foods over cooked foods. I think it is a great way to start out.

My green smoothie recipe is one pint of raw juice (juice your own, shop bought is NEVER raw unless the bottle states ‘unpaesteurised) and a very large handful of spinach, blended. I now add a couple of tablespoons of spirulina to it but that is just my own personal experiment and not essential.

Also try to eat more and more raw foods. Try out new recipes you see on here just for fun. This will help you to be naturally drawn in by taste and pleasure rather than being all strict with yourself and making drastic changes too soon. I like the idea of adding raw foods to your diet before taking away the cooked foods you are used to.

Do as much as you feel like. Eat what tastes good and is satisfying to you.

And at some point in your life, it may be next month or it may be in 3 years, time does not matter, just try going 100% raw for a couple of three months so you know what that feels like.

We are all here to chat and support, please keep us updated on how you do ;)

• zoe-your suggestions are right on track with what I have been thinking so I think I will definitly be giving the green smoothies a go. Maybe in the morning so I can maximize my energy early in the day. Do you think I would find spirulina at my local health food store or maybe whole food?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

emmie21 – it’s a great idea to start adding raw foods, instead of taking away cooked foods. once I tried out some recipes on this site, over the period of a year, I eventually found that I had so many exciting raw recipes that I rarely bothered to cook anything (making raw food is often faster and easier for me than cooking). Take your time in learning new recipes – start simple, don’t get overwhelmed. a few recipes in the beginning didn’t come out well. but just try a new (simple) one every week if you want, and before you know it, things will be very easy. also, keep a variety of fruit around as a snack. green smoothies are an excellent idea.

emmie21 – i’d recommend buying only a tiny bit of spirulina. i found it way too strong. instead, i just have green smoothies with fruit (banana or berries) and greens (spinach or lettuce or herbs) and a slice of lemon rind, maybe a little raw honey. it’s mild and tasty.

• Natalia Rose has a really good book about transitioning, based on your lifestyle/diet starting point. It’s called the Raw Detox book I believe. It’s all about gently transitioning to raw foods and that you don’t need to go 100% to get a lot of the benefits. It does include the morning daily green smoothie coincidentally.

• reveriedax- My copy actually just came in the mail yesterday. I’m thinking i should crack it open tonight before bed.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i think it’s important to try to have a few meals in a row raw so you can see how your body feels. then wehn you eat cooked foods again see how you feel. add more raw juices. if you do not have a juicer, see if you can find a place to buy a fresh juice from. i hope you love it! experiment with some recipes so you can see the wide variety of options in the diet. i have enjoyed many raw meals for years without going completely raw. do it when the time is right for you.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I live in the uk so I don’t know where the best place to find spirulina is in the USA. My advice would be to buy it in powder form, and don’t just get the cheapest one you find, get good quality. I find it is cheaper to buy it online. I got mine on ebay. It is lovely.