question about supplements

I have hypothyroidism, and I quit taking my meds about two weeks ago, (I’m just taking a few kelp supplements now) I want to do the master cleanse…should I keep taking supplements while doing it?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hia, I just wanted to respond to you coz no-one else has and I didn’t want you to feel ignored!!

I don’t know about the master cleanse because it isn’t something I would do.

But I was just wondering, have you tried going raw yet or are you going to do the cleanse to help start you on raw?

I would just try to go raw, trying to up your intake of raw foods and decrease the cooked and see how your condition fares along the way. Going raw will balance you out. Going raw helps your body to balance and heal.

What’s your reason for doing the Master cleanse?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

good for you for saying bye to the meds. i too used to be afflicted with a lazy thyroid!

sorry to skirt around your question, but…

i don’t personally recommend doing the MC either since your thyroid needs to start working harder and maple syrup & lemon mixed in water isn’t going to give your body the fuel it needs to rebuild.

here is what helped me overcome hypothyroidism: - doing yoga daily (a lot of poses squish and stretch the thyroid, as well as build awareness, which strengthens EVERYTHING)

- getting more and more raw, with an emphasis on greens (a lot of people recommend avoiding certain foods… i think as long as you get a good variety you’re doing fine).

- thinking more positively/meditation (this came as a natural result of going raw).

• Zoe, I’m curious (and I know there’s has been a recent thread about this, too); what are your doubts about the MC? I have never wanted to do it and intuitively feel there’s something not quite right about it. This is not based on anything but my gut reaction. Also, I think juice fasting or juice feasting would be so much healthier, providing so many good nutrients. What are your thoughts?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yes I agree, fasting has always been plenty enough for me. Also maple syrup is not raw, the body treats non raw foods like they are poison. Every time we eat something that is cooked our bodies flood us with white blood cells this is called digestive leukocytosis. To me the whole point of fasting is so that as much of your energy goes into detoxing and healing as possible. If your immune system is on red alert coz of the maple syrup then it defeats the object.

I fast with water and it always makes me feel amazing. The master cleanse probably works great when people who eat SAD do it because for the time they are on it they aren’t loading themselves with burgers, coffee, etc. But for a raw foodist I just don’t see the point.

• Good points, Zoe. Thanks!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I haven’t done the master cleanse – i’ve heard about great success with juice feasting. That’s when you only drink juice (vegetable and fruit) for days (as long as you want). That way, you get all your vitamins/nutrients and have plenty of energy.

I second what Zoe said about going raw instead of doing Master Cleanse. Drink green smoothies and vegetable juices and fruit juices, and you’ll feel better right away i bet.