A new beginning?

I was planning on possibly doing a 3-day fast starting tomorrow, it would be primarily a water fast. Fasts are suppose to detoxify and cleanse your system, right? I was wondering if this fast could perhaps eliminate my urge to over-eat and sort of gorge on things like fruit and nuts? I’m having a difficult time listening to my body and taking things in moderation… would a fast disrupt my binging patterns and help to sort of “rewire” me?

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

For the last 12 years, I can’t imagine that anyone has been more obsessed with food than I have. I thought about it every day and every moment. If I posted the details, it would absolutely flip these goneraw people out. When it started, I weighed 120 pounds and in a little over a year I weighed 260 pounds. From 1996 until early this year, food has been the substitute for all the voids and wants in my life.

In January I did a brief Master Cleanse, which is like a fast. My only desire was to detox and see if it would help me with some medical issues. I knew I wouldn’t make it because it was me. I just focused on making it through the first day, which wasn’t as hard as I thought because I had no food decisions to make. What I was going to have was already decided. The next day, I just focused on doing it that day and there were no decisions. Somewhere along the line, I had an epiphany, “I don’t have to think about food!” It was practically a religious experience for me and I had an awakening, a gift, I didn’t think possible. I learned that I can control food and food doesn’t have to control my life. My obsession with food is over. It is finally over and it has not returned since my fast. I eat when I need to and I allow myself to enjoy but I almost don’t give a damn about it anymore. Who knew?

This is my personal experience and there is no guarantee that you would have the same experience but I think you should try it. It liberated me. Best of luck to you.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

rawbeginner—if you are psyched for a fast than that is a great time to do it.

my experience: i broke my only fast because my belly went concave and i wasn’t sleeping… then it took me a little while to get back on track with regular eating.

i think a better way to get some balance is start off every day with lots of liquids. fresh delicious juices, water with lemon, and maybe a green smoothie. take some saunas if you belong to a gym that has one. get a colonic? (not everyone’s cup of tea)

greens greens greens really help rewire your eating patterns. they are such healing foods.

just going completely raw and not worrying about your intake will also help. it’s amazing the things you can eat on raw and LOSE weight, GAIN energy, etc… everything you thought you knew about fats, calories, etc, (in my experience) just doesn’t make sense anymore.

also: are you sure the nuts you are eating are really raw? and, are you soaking them and letting them dry? this makes them easier to digest.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have been reading a lot about juice fasts and juice feasts lately and I think the latest research out there shows that you really shouldn’t do it on water alone. juices provide your body energy but do not tax the digestive system so your body can spend energy on other problems it may have.

what has really cut my appetite is fresh, raw greens either juiced in a smoothie. you can make a big blender-full and drink all that. if you still have cravings after that, i’d be surprised.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i’ve heard lots of folks go on juice fasts that they really were successful at. Juice fasting can be done for lots of days, a long period of time. perhaps you want to water fast one day, then juice fast for several days? anyway, eating raw has helped me get over food cravings/addictions of the very mild sort. i eat only when i’m hungry. : )