Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

One avocado a day?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey everyone,

I’m a fruitarian, and I eat one avocado a day. I can’t tell if this is too much fat for me or not. I do find myself craving them, and even when I try and limit my avocados, I always find myself buying more. I keep it to about one a day or so. No other fat source, no nuts/seeds/oils.

I am fairly active…and I have learned that it’s best for me to steer clear of the scale, but I guess I am still worried about gaining weight. Can anyone reassure me about the avocado? Is it a “good” fat? It’s just so fun to eat, I think that’s part of the reason why I like them. I usually eat it with 1/2 a cucumber, chopped.

I guess I’d just like some reassurance for my avocado eating…thanks in advance.

Comments

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Avo is an awesome source of good fats. I eat a bit of nuts, and oil and i will usually have an avo a day. i think for you, you should listen to your body. If you crave them, eat them. If you have one, and still want more, have another! It’s your only source of fat, so I think it’s ok!

Btw, what do fruititarians do about green? Can you have them? i would think not, as they are obviously not fruit.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I am not doing greens right now, no. I have heard long-term fruitarians say that as long as you keep up with the avocado, you will not lack for minerals, so that gives me more faith in that, but I just wanted to ask all my peeps here about the avocado/fat deal. :-) Basically this fruitarian thing is an experiment for me; I will go as long as I can eating purely fruit and see how I am feeling, before I start to integrate about 10 % greens. I really enjoy experimenting with food this way, and hope to do the fruitarian thing throughout the spring and summer.

Eventually I may do an “all greens” experiment, but truly the raw food I desire seems to be fruit. I am really enjoying being my own test subject, heh. My body is definitely telling me that avocados are okay and nourishing right now; it’s just that old SAD thinking that’s getting critical about it. My critic says: “don’t eat those! they’re full of fat! they’ll make you fat!” /shush critic!/ But my body seems to enjoy them, despite that SAD negative voice. My vital energy has really soared over the past few days!

I appreciate you sharing your “daily avocado count!” I think that’s what I was mostly wondering; how many avocados other raw foodists consume on a daily basis.

• uhhh RAW avocado wont make you fat. thats ridiculous. maybe if it was COOKED, but not RAW

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Okay, thanks, I need to tell my old cooked brain to be quiet!

:-)

Thanks for the reassurance. This raw journey is about releasing negative thought patterns for me as well.

I love how raw food seems so safe and nourishing to the body.

• KelleySKelleyS Raw Newbie

I’ve never heard of someone cooking an avocado. Besides, eating something that was cooked won’t by default make you fat. Will eating steamed broccoli make you fat? Nope.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

I’ve been on a daily avocado kick. And I assure you, if you’re just eating fruit, avocado not only won’t make you fat, it’s essential to your long term health. You need fats for your brain to operate, along with a whole slew of other things. Without fat seratonin production will cease and depression will take hold. Furthermore, some of the vitamins in your fruit require fat to be processed by the human body.

As for the cooking avocado… I think you could cook it and it would be icky, but what they might be refering to is pasturized avocado, which is available in tubs, and is often what is used in resturants.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

If your skin turns green, then it’s time to stop eating avos. :-P i have one a day, and i don’t feel it’s excessive.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I had two earlier… :)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Krystale: “You need fats for your brain to operate, along with a whole slew of other things. Without fat seratonin production will cease and depression will take hold.”

So THAT’S why I feel so good when I eat an avo. :-) Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I truly do feel a greater sense of wellbeing when I eat them.

• oooooh but there is cooked avocado indeed! tempura style avocado…aka deep fried avocado :P why would someone do that to a precious avocado

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yeah, that sounds like a perversion of the saintly avocado, heh.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Would anyone please get off the ‘too much fat’ trip and just enjoyed what makes them feel good??? Who cares what percent fat anyone eats… If you like the taste of the avocado, your stomach digests it well and you’re not getting pimples all over (liver stagnation) it’s not too much fat… And there was a time in my life I would have 2-3 a day! Right now where I am, avocado season is ending… I’m gonna miss the ol’ green butter. Oh well!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

As I said, I am recovering from SAD saturated thinking, and changing thought patterns takes time and help from knowledgeable people who have ‘been there, done that.’ :-)

I feel pretty good about the avo right now, and I might not have felt that way had I not made this thread and reached out. Glad I asked!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Thanks!

• your body will tell you when you do to much avo. mine did. i ate like 1-2 a day when i was first starting out – it was the only thing that made me feel full. after a couple months avos stopped tasting/feeling good so i backed off. now, when i do eat them i eat 1/2 a fruit at most.

and, yeah, avos are soooo good chopped up with cucumber, sprinkled with dulse, kelp, cayenne, sea salt, and a dash of olive oil. maybe chop a little cilantro and basil. mmmmm, im making myself hungry.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

someone correct me if i’m wrong, but i am pretty sure you absolutely need fat for your gall bladder to work properly, i knew someone who had gall stones because she adhered to a strict low fat diet for many years.

i think nuts are in the fruitarian diet as well.

eat coconuts too, they are so good for you.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

you should def. eat avocado with no guilty. Seriously you need to, and I say this in the most gentle way, evaluate your emotional fear of food. Food really is not your enemy.

• haha my fat intake yesterday was 43% of my total calories…and i was 1.2 lb lighter this morning. something’s working! (it was all in the form of hummus, straight tahini, and the olive oil in my pasta sauce though)

• I find it very tough to let go of old ways of thinking about food. When your thought patterns for years have been ‘low fat!’ you can’t expect the voice in your hand to change overnight. Old habits die hard!

And for the record, I eat 1/2 – 1 avocado a day. It feels good for me. It’s not my only source of fat, but definitely my main source.

• I was glad to find this post and read all of the comments. I was wondering the same thing myself. I eat an avocado a day and have been backing off...but I want them! I'm happy to read that you all do the same thing!

• I eat 2-4 avocados a day, everyday.

• Hi there MOTH...listen here, Avocados ROCK and RAwk hahaha. One a day is fine esp if you are not having other oils nuts or seeds!!

I actually include avo and coconut more in my daily diet. Both have helped me shed my adipose HA!! [FAT does sound better than adipose LOL]

Anywhoooooo, I myself know when I'm getting too much fat from my face. My skin will show an excess...anyone else experience this? That's my true definer. When it does occur I usually cut consumption in half until my face goes back to normal less oily state. Also I find that even when i have them on hand if my body doesn't need them they won't even appeal to me. That's the time my friends are happiest to see me coz i make them something with them because I refue to waste those lovelies. I guess you can freeze them but nothing ever tatses the same after being frozen.

My problem the past week has been date & nut combo punch. I grab like 5 dates from the fridge and half handful of any soaked nuts and chomp away. I practically liquidify all of it in my mouth to savor the flavors. It's like I'm a junkie getting my fix and trying to make it last LOL Do you eat dates Moth?

Ok well that was my 2cents..hee hee

Peace

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i agree with all who said 1 avocado is ok. i personally have about a half on most days but i also eat coconut and nuts and seeds. i haven't gained any weight. i'm curious why you are so worried about losing weight, from your picture, you look very thin.

• Moooooth.....!!!!! I am trying to become more of a fruitarian myself. How long have you been eating this way? I really need some support, are you willing to help? maybe we can email???

stylestacey@yahoo.com

• i believe MOTH is an 811rv now.

Congratulations on kicking the one avocado a day, it is BAD for you.

• Hey Kevin,

Please give MOTH our love if you are in touch with her these days. We miss her on this site!!!

-osoniye

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

It's okay if you say it is. It's YOUR body and your little world in your mind that you make up. :) Do what you want; use your imagination, and be happy.

I have seen people do pizzas with avocado (putting the avo on before baking), so that would cook it. Something like tomato sauce, tempeh or tofu or neither, broccoli, onion, peppers, avo. You could do a raw one. :D

I definitely would try to eat some fat per day unless you're doing a TEMPORARY cleanse.