Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

BITTER!!! Dehydrated Corn!!

OK, I am just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with all dehydrated corn recipes coming out with this bitter bite to it. Not when you first taste it, but just as you are about to swallow, and it just kills the whole joy of eating the dish. It has happened when I made tamales, corn chips, and taquitos!! I was so happy to use corn as a lower fat alternative to most of the ingredients used in dehydrated dishes, but I just can’t stomach that bitterness. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to avoid it?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

That’s odd. Did you use corn from the same “batch”?

I make a corn, flax, bell pepper taco shell and it isn’t bitter at all. I’ve made it several times. What other ingredients are common in the tamales, corn chips, and taquitos?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I even buy regular corn occasionally, that is dried. I am sure it’s not raw, but it was very addictive tasty and not bitter at all. Maybe your dehydrator is bad. Not that mine isn’t. lol

• I sundried some corn chips or wraps or something like that one and theyr were awful. Bitter for sure. I thought it might have been due to sundrying but it sounds like it wasn’t…

• i have found that the only way to overcome this is to cob and freeze the corn and defrost it when needed, or just to use organic frozen corn. for some reason this takes out the bitterness for me (after ruining a few batches of corn chips).

• aaaaahhhh! Yes, the corn is not organic, I didn’t think of that! I bet that is what the problem was. As corn comes into season these days, I will be able to get organic, I can’t wait!!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

are you guys using sweet white corn? i found the sweet corn to have no bitterness when used off the cob…. somthing else that goes well in place of corn is peas same strtch more sweet and cool color!

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I’ve just about given up on raw corn chips because of the bitter taste. I’ve tried several approaches with the same results. I’m not sure bitter is the right term but certainly not pleasant! I’ve always used fresh, sweet corn right off the cob.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I had the same problem using fresh corn. However, it is inconsistent. I think some corn is just bitter. At first I thought it was the other ingredients in the chips, because I couldn’t taste it when it was fresh. I am hoping that when we are at the height of corn season, it will be better corn and less bitter. I have been thinking of trying to make a cornmeal by dring and grinding the next corn I find that isn’t bitter so that I can use it all year long. Has anyone tried this?