Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eating Aloe

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I’ve heard this has many skin benefits. Is this true? Which part is best to eat? And is there a limit to how much to consume?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’ve heard it’s a great super food. you eat the gooey inside. it’s best to have your own plant though as there aren’t many benefits once it’s been cut and left to sit.

they make great houseplants and are really low maintenance… my kind of plant! maybe i should go get one… hm…

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I recently bought 2 plants and would love to take a bite out of them! Haha.

Just not sure what the skin benefits are or how much to eat to recieve them.

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

i have a few plants out in my back yard. beautiful! i use the inside jelly in my smoothies, green smoothie, fruit smoothie, superfood smoothie..doesnt matter. a lil bit of work to get the inside out but not real difficult. Gets easier the more you do it. i heard it’s good for your skin, with elasisity(spelling) and im prego so i need all the stretch i can get :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Aloe Vera is high in MSM so yes, very good for your skin, hair and nails. You can drink aloe vera juice – put the gel in your smoothies. I have been using aloe vera to “wash” my hair with. It leaves it nice and smooth and soft. :)

I don’t think the outer part has any benefits but I don’t really know that much about it.

But the gel is very good for you!

• Great topic and questions. I’d love to add aloe to my smoothies.

• wow I forgot about aloe…when I was having a ton of stomach problems this was one thing I was told to look into. it’s supposed to be good for digestion and stuff…I never got around to it – the only thing I’d ever used it for was when I got a sunburn and I was a little wierded out by actually eating it haha

• I have an aloe plant – I bought it specifically to eat the goo inside :) We had an aloe plant while I was growing up, and we used it on burns and stuff, but I never ate any until last year. When I cut off the leaves, there was some yellowish-greenish liquid that would ooze from around the edges, and it is really bitter. I had to blot the leaves on a papertowel to let that stuff drain out (sometimes I had to blot it, cut off a slice and blot some more to get it all drained out). Then I just scraped the goo out with my teeth to eat it, and there was no bitterness. It is supposed to be good for cleansing the colon and good for the immune system, too.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Oops, wrong profile – that last post was from me! :)

• i tried to eat some recently… it was just so slippery and weird, i couldn’t deal with it at all… but maybe added to a smoothie? i used to put aloe juice in smoothies and it tasted bad… but maybe the fresh gel would be ok.

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Where can I get an Aloe Vera plant?

I bought one at Home Depot, I think. They had lots of desert plants for sale – little cacti and different succulents.

• JDJD

southernlover, aloe plants are easy to come by. They have them in supermarkets in the flower section, nurseries and yes places like home depot.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

My skin and stomache noticed a definite difference. I LOVE aloe. At the moment I am giving my plants a rest. I kept picking off them :P. Most people filet-cut it/cut off the green and eat the gelatinous insides. I grind the whole thing up in smoothies. As for how much, I once read that two and a half teaspoons/a bit less than a tablespoon is maximum, but I know people who eat those HUGE aloe leaves all at once. I don’t think it hurt them any. But I always take small leaves and blend them. Ones generally 1/4-1/2 inch wide and several inches long. Mine aren’t bitter, but then as I said, they are small. I imagine they get more bitter the bigger they are, but not too uncomfortably so.

oh..most of the good stuff is gone shortly after cutting it (eat fairly soon after), so don’t buy aloe powder. Beyond the fact that most of the goodiest have left, it tastes REALLY REALLY bitter. I have an unfortunate first-hand experience. It does help produce bile, and do many other things that in turn are good for your skin(Cleanses the intestines/mainly good for clearing skin), but the enzymes etc. start to die off so the powder isnt good for that. Fresh is tastier and best. Not to mention I do notice the effects on my skin sooner. I don’t know, it just feels better all around. As everything does when fresh.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Great! Thanks! I can’t wait to start eating it!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

I never actually ate aloe vera but it’s very good for the skin. Every time I go to Florida (I live in NY) I grab a bunch of aloe (with permission, of course) and throw it in my car, or suitcase and when I get home I plant it and it grows like crazy. My cat destroyed my last plant but I have a new one (just returned from Fl.) When I have a cut I just put some aloe gel on it and it almost miraculously heals it. I also put it on my face when I get the urge. I haven’t tried it in a smoothie yet, but I’m sure it would be beneficial.

Oh, yeah, cuts! My mom used to put it on our cuts to help them heal :) I have eaten 5 or 6 leaves at a time before (maybe 1/2 inch wide and 5-7 inches long, each), but I don’t do it very often.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

Maybe I should get one for the eczema- I bought clear organic Aloe Gel from the health store but it didn't do anything but that might be because things get done to it eg they added PARABENS!!!! I am an avid label reader now and getting to know what all these weird long sounding things are in "food" and toiletries.