Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do you feel?

I am going through the initial stages of going raw and struggling to find my groove. Originally I was high veg and nuts/seeds, medium amount of fruit. I felt good but wasn’t losing any weight (which I would like to do). I then switched to a more fruit based diet and have had all kinds of strange symptoms (headaches, dizziness, lack of energy, occasional upset stomach). I started reading Gabriel Cousens book and believe that I was probably overdosing on high sugar fruits. So, now I am back onto mainly veg and nuts/seeds, trying to select lower sugar fruit and am trying to limit the nuts/seeds in the hopes of addressing my weight concern.

I gave up coffee about 2 months ago and after a short detox with a bit of a headache, I don’t really miss it. I am struggling to give up the carbs. I think once I get my dehydrator and can make some crackers, then things will be better in this regard. So, for now, I have crackers every couple of days.

I am slowly increased my exercise. Thankfully the better weather is here so I can get out on my bike or dive into the never ending yard work.

I feel that I’m on the right track but need to make some adjustments in order to make this new lifestyle stick.

So, I’m curious, how do you feel? Do you bounce through the day with ridiculous amounts of energy or are things just so so. I have to confess, things are just so so for me at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hi! i am new to raw and am about 90% raw right now-still have the occasional piece of sprouted bread or crackers (I don’t have a dehydrator either, but am hoping to convince the hubby).

The first few days I felt great. Very high energy. Then yesterday I had a lower day, and I am trying to figure out if I was simply tired from doing a lot on Saturday, or if it’s because I skipped my green lemonade and just had fruit, or because I had a handful of my kids’ organic chocolate breakfast cereal!! In any case, I won’t be skipping my green lemonade this morning!

I have been exercising about 4x a week, jumping rope and lifting weights. So I know that improves my energy level. Overall I am feeling really, really good. My only cravings are for the occasional piece of toast and butter, which I indulge. I haven’t given up coffee yet, so I do have 1-2 cups in the morning, and I am happy that I’ve cut back from my former 4 cups a day.

For me, I need to eat a lot of greens, and so I am going to get the Omega juicer so I can juice my greens more efficiently. I just won’t eat enough if I don’t have a juicer.

When I started a week ago, I was 120 lbs, which I’d managed to get to using a sort of vegetarian Weight Watchers. I was 132 in January so I’d lost about 12 pounds. I am now 117 lbs and would love to get to 115 lbs (I am 5’4”). But I am just trying to eat healthy, eat my nuts and avos without overthinking it, and just being more in touch with my body.

Oh, and as an aside, my sex drive has increased! I am not sure if this is because of the raw foods, or because I am halving my anti-depression meds, but either way, my husband says he likes raw :)

• i found that replacing one or two of my meals with a green smoothie keeps my energy up all day. i usually have a smoothie for breakfast and lunch – or if i have a salad for lunch, i swap this and have a smoothie for dinner. i kept it pretty simple in the beginning and it did wonders.

• Hi Karuna, When I started a little over two months ago at 99% raw I felt great the first two weeks, then I felt sluggish and tired with only a few good days here and there for the next three weeks. That ended though, and ever since my fourth or fifth week I have been a ball of energy! I didn’t exercise in the first month, but this last month I have gone from 3 miles a week to 10, with a five mile run yesturday! (:

I bought Lydia’s organic crackers and put avacodo and pico de gallo on them. This was a major staple for me for the first month and a half. Now things seem to be balancing out. So find that staple and keep going with it. It does get easier! I don’t know where you started, but I started at almost 200 lb and am now down to the 160’s. So my detox may have been longer since my start weight was so high…I am not really sure how that works, though! Good luck on finding your balance!

• Has anyone noticed a difference in high fruit vs high veg diet?

• Thanks everyone. I will persevere. I think that dehydrator needs to come sooner rather than later. :)

• good timing…my biggest thing since going raw is I have actually been able to digest what I eat! (I’ve had bad IBS and chronic pancreatitis for about 5 years now, and nothing seemed to help). And because I am actually getting nutrients I have energy and am not depressed all the time, and not feeling like general crap 6 of 7 days of the week. And I’ve been losing weight…I think because I am getting something out of what I eat now, I need much less overall.

Yesterday though I felt like crap – headachey, weak, not digesting right again…I realized though this morning that that was because I unintentionally lost 4 lbs in one week (and I am not overweight to begin with) so my body freaked. I’ve been aiming for more like one a week haha. I also ate an entire pineapple last night, bad sugar rush from that. But overall, I feel pretty good…but the really sugary fruits are apparently not the best idea.

and nycgrrl i agree about sex drive haha…not being depressed and constantly having stomach issues does wonders for it. my bf thinks I’m a wierdo for eating raw but he’s not complaining.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey Karuna! I’ve been high raw for over 9 months now and my energy goes up and down constantly. I’ve been experimenting with different herbs and cleanses which I’m sure drag me down every time things get stirred up, especially candida. Right now I’m taking oregano oil to kill the candida and I have the same brain fog and fatigue that I get every time I address this issue. So I’m not bouncing around right now, but I have at times, and I’m certain that I’m on a good path and I’m trying to think about the long term and the reality that this is an ongoing process of healing. I’m with you on the fruit and nut issues, I need to do low sugar fruits like berries, and I’ve now cut back on the fat since my weight leveled off and wouldn’t budge. I’m focusing more on omega 3 fats like hemp and chia, rather than almond butter and cashews.

• hi karuna and everyone,

i’ve been 99% raw (sometimes hearbal tea or a few spices, but really not much) for about 8 weeks and things are going well. I actually haven’t noticed huge huge changes… i was already pretty high-energy and pretty healthy. I’m a runner, and i switched to raw the day after my last marathon.

my veggie staple has been carrot juice. I’m trying to switch to a greener juice or smoothie and cut back on the dried fruit and nuts. last night i had a party at my house, and although i kept raw, i had lots of raw sweets and some wine (wine is raw i believe) and woke up with that vague “i-had-a-party” feeling. I decided this is the week to make the green smoothies happen! I’ve been sipping on a 2-banana 3-apple and bunch of carrot tops smoothie all morning and I must say, i feel like it’s a great start to the day. Woooo! i’ll report back later.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I am about 1/2 fruit 1/2 veg at this point. I think they are both good for you and I will ride the middle line until I decide who to listen to! I think green smoothies and juiced carrots have really helped my energy level. I couldn’t do this well without my greens. And I LOVE fruit so they are perfect for me.

I try to balance my fruit with a little fat from seeds or greens. Both seem to balance the fruit well.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m 50% fruit and 25% veg, 25+ greens. Green smoothies helped with my energy level. Taking naps has helped me a great deal. Regularly walking or biking is helpful. On some days i eat mostly fruit, some days mostly greens. I haven’t noticed any relationship between food and energy level yet – for me it’s all about eating 99 raw and getting plenty of sleep, then i’m in great shape.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Fruit is my major fuel, especially bananas. I noticed if I don’t have a good supply of bananas my energy levels plummet. I do enjoy green leafy vegetables especially the bitter ones like collards and many other wild spring greens. I also make sure I include some superfoods and superherb teas. I make an herbal decoction and use that as a smoothie base, then I add cacao nibs and powder, goji berries, hemp and/or chia seeds, fresh or frozen wild blueberries, maca, E3 live powder,bee pollen, carob, and bananas, and then I levitate. I have noticed that mixing cacao and bananas provides me with the most energy and brain power. Bananas are my fuel and brain food! Try some superfoods and make some herbal decoction teas and I will promise that you will notice a difference in a week or two. I suggest: oatstraw, horsetail, cats claw, pau d’arco, and vanilla bean. Just add equal parts of these herbs to hot water and let it sit for at least 8 hrs. The longer it sits the more potent it becomes. Let it sit for 2 or more days and you will notice a difference in your body in 1 day. These herbs provide you with a good dose of calcium, and contain adaptogen and immunity properties. If you have question how to make tinctures and herbal decoctions I will be glad to help you out :)

Lots of Love, V

• Thanks for all of the great feedback.

Humanimal, I would love some more information about the herbal decoction teas. If you don’t mind, would you be able to email me (karuna.424@gmail.com) – or if you’re not comfortable with that, could you post the specifics about the suggestion for the tea above. I have ‘played’ with herbal teas before without having all of the information and the results were…..ummm. surprising (not in a good way).

Are there any side effects that I would need to watch out for? What are the approximate measurements (herbs to water). Does it sit on the counter or in the fridge? Boy oh boy, I know I’m pushing it. :) How much is too much? Also, any resources that you could share so that I can build my own knowledge base would be great.

Thanks again.