coconut oil and butter

daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

A few questions about them… In recipes I often see “coconut oil” as an ingredient and then they follow it in parenthese (also called coconut butter). I have both and they are distinctively different products, like almond butter and almond oil. Anyone know why it is stated that way? Also, any ideas about how they compare nutritionally? I have read lots about the benefits of oil. However, looking at the two, the butter seems to have more than just the oil. Thank you!

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

do you have artisana coconut butter? that’s the coconut meat ground up, I think. but coconut oil is also called coconut butter because in cool temperatures it’s a solid, or a “butter” but at 70 degrees or higher it’s a liquid, or “oil”

• yes, the butter will have protein and fiber, while the oil will have… oil. the artisana coconut butter is a fairly new product, so people used to be able to use the terms interchangeably, and no one would notice. now it’s all confusing. anyway, they are both awesome, and you will get coconut nutrition from both.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

yes, I do have the artisana. i knew that it was ground and dehydrated to produce that texture. they made it very confusing, didn’t they? So, butter and oil are the same, except in the case of artisana (and other ground coconut meat products, A Cohen makes one too) Is that correct?

• in most cases, if someone calls for coconut butter, they mean coconut oil (they will usually specify in some way if they really mean coconut butter.)