Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Weight Loss

I have been raw since last October. I haven’t lost any weight. This may have to do with my hypothyroidism. Any advice though? My reason for eating raw has never been weight loss so I haven’t really focused on it but I would really like to lose some weight. I would love to hear some things that others have found to work.

Sophia

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hmm… i just wanted to bump this up cuz i noticed no one replied so far.

what is your diet like? what do you typically eat?

are you eating some cooked food as well?

• SophiaRose,

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. I’m experiencing the same thing—little to no weight loss. I haven’t figured out exactly why. I have a few theories that I’m playing with 1) although over weight, I transitioned from a pretty healthy vegan diet to raw. So, my body did not have the shock factor of moving from SAD to raw, and 2) my body may just be more “resilient” and stubborn, less willing to let go, 3) sleep-deprivation. I just don’t sleep enough. My body (especially the kidneys) doesn’t have enough time to work.

But, I’m going to persevere and encourage you to do the same.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have been all raw doing smoothies for 4 days and I haven’t lost a pound. Very disappointing too because I am heavy and should have lost something by now. I have had 1 avacado and 1 small serving of jungle peanuts. No oils. I have been drinking some smoothies every 2-3 hours and staying fairly hungry throughout the day.

• Hi Pianissima, I usually eat fruit or a green smoothie for breakfast, a salad with some seeds and a simple oil or orange juice dressing for lunch or something like a spiralized vegetable dish and then I am not usually very hungry at dinner so I have a nut milk or another smaller salad or some fruit. I don’t have a super regular diet. Which I think is part of it. I have also started preparing food for my boyfriend recently who eats mind boggling portions (the metabolism of a 20 year old man!) and is still hungry and still skinny. I typically eat a one hundred percent raw diet but I recently spent the week visiting friends and I felt like asking them to prepare vegan food was already quite a request.

Blizzful7, Thanks for the encouragement. You should do whatever you can to start getting more sleep. It is one of the most important factors in your emotional, physical, and spiritual health. <3>

Meditating, You might want to try juices instead of smoothies if you have a juicer. Unless you are doing all green smoothies you are probably eating an unhealthy amount of fruit. Good luck on your journey.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I don’t know, but from your pic you don’t look overweight. If you don’t feel good, there may be a reason to change something, but if your goal is health and feeding your body what it needs, and you eat what appeals to you, my experience is that the body eventually regulates itself, thyroid problems or not, to what is best for you – and that may or may not be what magazines portray. :)

Sometimes emotional issues block weight loss, too, if we’re holding onto things or self-protecting with extra weight or fat. Been there, done those, and had to let go.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

this had come up a lot on this forum… the no weight loss thing. i wonder whether it just takes some people’s bodies more time… or maybe you have hit a plateau and need to change something, like the type of exercise you do, or include something different in your diet.

i’ve read some people on this site drink water with lemon juice (i also recommend a little raw apple cider vinegar) during the day and it is helping them shed pounds.

i agree with angie that you look great though!

my brother has the same kind of metabolism. we both had to get blood tests at one point and he has about 2 times the amount of enzymes as me! i wonder why women go through their enzymes faster?

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

SophiaRose, I hate to sound like a nag, but are you getting aerobic exercise? I read on your profile that you are teaching yoga, but what else are you doing to stay active? The basics are this: if you do not work off more than you consume, you will not lose weight.

Agreeing with Pianissima, ACV truly does work wonders. If you 1-2 TB to a liter of water and drink it after you eat a greens salad (after waiting a proper amount of time for digestion after eating, of course), it will help stimulate a bowel movement, and if you do this every day, you will find over time that your metabolism is kicked up a bit!

Also, I never want to hear you mention your skinny lil boyfriend again. Too many women get deterred by the fact that their man can eat whatever they want and stay skinny while they cannot. Screw it! Men and women are two entirely different breeds as far as I’m concerned, and the last thing that a woman should do is compare her own body to that of a man’s! :)

Let me know what you think!

• Girlfridae1Girlfridae1 Raw Newbie

Hey SophiaRose—it probly doesn’t apply to you, but I have been eating raw and not losing weight either. I remembered Ardesmond2 posting something about a website called fitday.com and so I logged everything I ate for a couple of days and was seriously blown away by how much fat and how little protein I was getting. So now everyday I decide whether I need to eat nuts or avocado (I eat roughly 1TBS of coconut oil daily and don’t consider that as something to give up). I only eat half an avocado daily if I eat avo and if I choose nuts then I don’t eat more than two portions. This and biking to and from work everyday (7 miles one way) have kickstarted my weight loss. I think BeTheChange had a good point avout the aerobic exercise.

• I also have found that my weight is not going down. I agree with BeTheChange – regarding consumption vs work. For me, I’m fairly sure that I need to up the exercise. I work a desk job so although I eat mostly raw and try to be somewhat conscious of my choices, the aerobic exercise isn’t happening. I must make the time.

Nice to know others are experiencing the same struggles. :)

• I am not known for being able to lose weight easily either…1lb a week is the most I was ever able to do on cooked, and even then I had to practically starve all day. I work a desk job 40 hrs a week and have been tested for hypo numerous times – I have all the symptoms and doctors are shocked when it comes back normal!

But I just dropped about 5lbs since last monday, which is about 3 a week! And I am not even overweight. Coincidentally, last week I started doing the apple cider vinegar thing 2x a day. I use a half cup of water, 1 T acv, 1 teaspoon of agave and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and chug it down through a straw (rinse your mouth out with plain water after this, don't want to damage your teeth). I also get 1T of coconut oil in my green smoothie every day. Since I've been eating pretty much the same, I guess it was the ACV. I was pleased but a little wierded out haha...3lbs a week on a non-overweight person can't be too normal, I kind of hope it doesn't keep up much longer.

oh and the ACV is a good wake-up in the morning. I’d say try it, it won’t hurt.

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

To jump start my raw food and weight loss I’m attempting a 30-day juice fast. I started Monday and have lost 10 pounds so far. I don’t feel deprived at all and have been amazed how little it takes for me to not be hungry. I drank 40 ounces of juice yesterday and 100 ounces of water. Feeling great!!

• Hello there,

Try eating lots of juicy fruits and fruit smoothies. Cut way back on all fats (avocados, nuts, seeds, oils) and dried fruits and dehydrated foods.

Also, like others have suggested, exercise is huge! Aerobis exercise will burn calories and building muscle will speed up your metabolism.

Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting and consider taking your measurements and pictures on a regular basis. Sometimes our bodies firm up and become smaller without realising a great deal of weith on the scale. That may be happening to you.

Blessings,

Audrey www.rawhealing.com

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Adding in more spices and eating smaller, more frequent meals, helps your metabolism. Kelp and Apple Cider vinegar as well. :)

• Hey everyone, thanks for your kind and helpful responses.

I think I get enough exercise. I live on a large college campus, walk and bike everywhere, even to the grocery store and farmer’s market which are like…6 miles away. I also swim in the ocean or the icky chlorinated pool (which is a little more convenient but a lot less incredible) on a fairly regular basis. I would love to exercise more though, who wouldn’t!? I always feel like my body just wishes it had moved more during the day…so little time as a student! Can’t wait for summer!!!

I have a really small appetite, always have. It’s only gotten smaller since going raw (which makes sense). So I am pretty sure I am not eating too much.

I don’t mean to come off negatively…I love my body and feel very happy and comfortable with myself. I didn’t mean to refer to my skinny boyfriend in the way I think it may have sounded…I love the guy and don’t resent him a bit for his speedy metabolism (maybe a little bit for his huge appetite since I’m the one cooking, ha).

I tried the apple cider vingegar thing before going raw but didn’t stick with it too long. I will start trying that. So how long before or after meals???

You are all so wonderful to respond.

Love and thanks, Sophia

• Hey, I have the SAME EXACT issue, so don’t feel alone. And I’ve been for for gasp 2 years now. I hope that doesn’t sound discouraging. I’m not overweight, but I have alot of excess body fat, so I’m not bikini ready by any means. I too was hoping to be very lean on raw, and it just ain’t happening…and I eat low fat, too. I’ve done high-fat, low fat, average fat, watching calories, more exercise…nothing really budges. It’s FRUSTRATING.