Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw oatmeal--soaked, not blended?

For all the raw oatmeal recipes I’ve seen, you’re supposed to blend the soaked grain (along with other ingredients, if you want them). Does anyone not blend it—just soak their grain (usually overnight), drain the water, and eat it? If so, do you add anything to the grain before or after the soaking period, and what do you add?

I don’t have a blender/processor, and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• I do sometimes just munch on the soaked groats- they can be really sweet, yummy! I find that I personally shouldn’t eat too many raw oat groats because I have a hard time digesting them though. But, when I do eat em, I think they are good by themselves, sometimes it seems less is more with them, they have a yummy flavor. to help with digestion, try adding coconut oil, or some other type of oil(fat help digest the starch). With coconut oil it’s yummy to add raisins, cinnamon, walnuts:) Also, I reccommendrinsing them after you drain em, always good after soaking anything, either to get rid of bitterness or growth inhibitors, toxins to ya supposedly…

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Soaked oats are delicious but yes they can be difficult to digest but in the transition stages might be useful. You could put them in a thermos with some raisins and warmed up hemp milk and leave overnight. In the morning you will have a nice porridge – good winter food, not great for springtime and summer.

http://www.rawlifestyle.co.uk Diary, ebooks, recipes

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I used to make an oatmeal with soaked oat groats… and of course, blend it with banana. But, I’ve made other foods that call for oat groats (unblended). Usually, those are easier to chew if soaked longer (48 hrs). But… maybe they just provide fiber/roughage if we’re not breaking it down.

• As I recall, Rose Vasile soaks steel-cut oats in her book, “Uncooking with Raw Rose.” These won’t germinate at all because they are cut, but they should be easier to chew.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

I like vegagitator’s suggestion. If i was making raw oatmeal, i’d get raw rolled oats and just soak it like a normal oatmeal recipes. I know Alissa Cohen sells them. I think her site is www.alissacohen.com.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

My mom does this with rolled oats. She soaks them overnight and adds in cinnamon, raisins, etc. Maybe some raw honey or agave, or maple syrup if you’re not too worried about the 100% raw thing.

• Can you use ground flour (like quinoa flour) in order to get the blended texture? I doubt it—what do you think?

• I suppose I can try to mash my soaked grain up by hand, along with a few other ingredients (maybe banana and cinnamon).

• I didn’t try the flour or mashing ideas—I just tried eating soaked quinoa again (this time with some banana and cinnamon). I just do not like that stuff, so I’ll be looking for something else to eat.