Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Calling all nerdy geeks!!

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Hey, who all out there likes movies like Star Wars and comic books and Star Trek? Who else is into lord of the Rings, hardcore?

Hee Hee Hee! Just in one of my raw crazy moods again.

Come on let’s play!! Let me know your nerdy interests!!!

:)

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

but of course! battlestar, dr who, star trek are our late-night treats :-p

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

oh yes, Dr. who. I forgot about that one!!! Do you mean the new one? Love the new one. He is such a cutie!! Gosh it can be disturbing sometimes though!!

• battlestar!!! we’re going crazy trying to figure out who the fifth cylon is….i’m miserable that this is the last season!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I like the new dr who – can’t wait to see how Rose fits in this season. and, YES, battlestar and the fifth cylon. I wonder if it was Sol’s wife… I guess we’ll find out (I hope). they did mention somewhere that they might come out with another series called Caprica. if we can’t have BSG, at least we might have Caprica

I have heard such good things about battlstar, but i haven’t made time for it!!

Oh I used to love Buffy and Smallville as well. Well I still do! Btw, the new pic is my husband if you are wondering!

• i’m a little bit of a nerd… professional tech geek… and i did love buffy, and liked star wars and lord of the rings. never got into star trek or battlestar… the new dr. who is cool too.

• newbie: it can’t be cara thrace because it’s too obvious. we were thinking maybe one of the adamas, just for the sensationalism of it, or roslin.

we don’t get the new dr who in Canada that i’ve seen, so no opinion on that yet.

we used to be really into stargate but that’s been given up a little since it’s gotten a little out there.

two shows that i cannot get into though: lost and grey’s anatomy….just don’t get it.

i’m obsessed with hell’s kitchen though…gordon ramsey is awesome.

• love grey’s anatomy. didn’t like it at first, but then watched two or 3 episodes… am hooked for good now.

• I love the new Doctor Who…and Lord of the Rings, Firefly, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis… :) My daughter collects the Star Wars books and they can be a good read. My favourite books to read at the moment are Ted Dekkers books. (The Circle Trilogy: Black, White, and Red) They’re great!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Not a total geek here – I am if you are counting a tech geek as I am an unemployed programmer. :)

I do like Star Wars though. I am actually making my own Chewie costume for next Halloween – I am so lazy though as I haven’t started it yet and I am not an expert sewer (I have no machine either) – it will all be by hand. I have the mask already (it is a professional one). I gotta get off my butt and find some suitable Chewie fabric (I want super long and shaggy!). Nonetheles, I will be a short Chewie as I am only 5’4”. I just love Halloween!

I did go the the Star Wars exhibit that has been traveling around at museums. It was pretty awesome – all the costumes and some vehiles were on display!

Actually, I am into Chewie probably mostly because I believe in Bigfoot – I know those Bigfoots are out there and I will see one someday! :) Anyone else into cryptozoology?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Okay. My major obsession is Lord of the Rings – specifically the Elves. Has anyone read the Silmarillion? Star Wars is a close second though, and Battlestar.

Newbie, I was thinking it might be Ellen also. It can’t really be anyone who was on the ship at the time or else they would have heard the music also, right?

I also love Lost. There’s some great writing on that show.

gueenfluff, show us a pic of the costume when it’s finished!

• Raw_Chocoholic: there was something a little strange about her but i think it has to be more of a storyline kick than that. it would be funny though if her cylon husband killed her and she was a cylon.

i think when we find out (when will that be!) it will be a huge shock.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Battlestar! Battlestar! OMG, I am a total freak for that show. I got so excited when it came back (FINALLY) after what, like a year? Such a tease.

Also love the Stargate series… although Atlantis is a little too hokey. But good god, that Ronin character is nice to look at. Ha!

There was a series a while back called Firefly, with a spinoff movie called Serenity… anybody see it? I totally loved that one.

Let’s see, what else… Farscape was fun. I didn’t watch a lot of it, but really liked the characters. Then of course two of the characters went on to be in Stargate later, and Claudia Black was in that Vin Diesel movie, um… Pitch Dark? With those nasty aliens that came out in the dark and ate people. Good movie, freaked me out!

I like the old star wars movies better than the new ones. I was SO in love with Chewie when I was a kid, and of course I thought princess Leia kicked ass. Cause she did. ;o)

As far as books go, I just finished a two-book series by Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow and Children of God. VERY, very good books. I recommend them highly.

I can’t think of any more sci-fi titles I’ve read off the top of my head, but I love the genre. I have to admit, though… I’m a TOTAL medieval geek. Renaissance fairs, Arthurian fiction (The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley is the best book written in this genre, hands down, EVER), tales of Merlin & castles & unicorns and faeries, etc. Can’t get enough of it. A couple really good authors in this vein are Bernard Cornwell (this guy is GREAT, look him up on Amazon) and T.H. White – The Once & Future King is a fabulous read.

Lord of the Rings is the winner for me, hands down, both in the Tolkien books and the movies. You just can’t get any better than that. Maybe the Thomas Covenant chronicles came close (by Steven R. Donaldson), but LOTR still wins. And how completely perfect, by the way, was Elijah Wood as Frodo? Genius casting.

lalala – we do get the new dr. who in canuck land. The season is at a funny time though!! At least I think we still get it!

Jen – The Mists of Avalon is an AWESOME book!!

raw_choco. – I have it in mp3 form on my Ipod.(Silmaril.) I hear it gets good about half way through!! Have you heard of the convention called ‘The gathering of the Fellowship’? I just was told about it, but I don’t think they have had great turn outs in the past, so they won’t be holding them anymore. Sad :(

Hmmm, has anyone read the comic book series, The Sandman? That is REALLY good. I used to read Wonderwoman religiously. Now you have been outgeeked!!!

OOH, Luna, I love Neil Gaiman! I haven’t read the Sandman comics yet, but I’ve been thinking about buying them to take on vacation with me. I’ve read bunches of his other stuff though… Neverwhere, American Gods, Coraline, Stardust (I want to see the movie they made from this book with Michelle Pfiefer & Robert DeNiro). And about Mists of Avalon, I know! It’s the only book I’ve read over and over again. Sometimes I’ll re-read a good book like once, but I’ve read Mists around six times I think. It rocks.

Oh wow Jen you friggen rock! Why do live in … California is it? and not in Canada?!

Highly recomend the Sandman, it is really great. It is in grphic novel form now. How was the Stardust movie? My husband has the graphic novel, but I haven’t read it yet.

This is a really violent comic book, and I hate to admit I really liked it, but have you heard, or read The Preacher? What about Hellboy? I have read an issue here and there, but the movie rocked! The second one is coming out this May!!! Lot’s of great flicks coming up!

Oh I almost forgot, I read the X-men as well.

Maxinatux, Babylon 5 was great too!

WOW… I am a real geek!!

• jenergy, we have the DVD of Serenity and I can’t count the times we’ve watched it. As a matter of fact, we just watched it again a few days ago….can’t get enough of it! Farscape, another goodie! We have a couple of seasons of that on DVD that we’ve watched a few times. Raw_Chocoholic I’ve read the Silmarillian and the more recent one, the Children of Hurin. I’m also a fan of Lost and Heroes.

OK Luna, you asked for it… here’s a true measure of my geekness, or freakness, maybe. ;o) I would SO be Hellboy’s girlfriend. Really. Yowza.

Make of that what you will, people. ;o)

Oh, and I forgot about Babylon 5. I think I remember liking that one. Hey, if it’s sci-fi I’ve most likely watched it and probably liked it. I even watch those HORRIBLE made-for-TV movies on the sci-fi channel. Manticore, anyone?

Stardust was a really cute book. It read like it was written for kids, teenagers maybe since some of the ideas were a bit grown up for little ones. Haven’t seen the movie yet but it looks good. I just always hate it when they make a movie from a book and wreck it.

And thanks, Luna. I think you rock, too. :o)

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I love “Dark Shadows”. My roommates and I all pitch in and buy one set a month. Growing up, I loved the old Star Trek, Batman and Robin (show and comic),other vintage comics, and “the Hobbit” cartoon and book. Loads of geeky things. I also collect weird sentimental objects. I take sand, soil, trash(napkins,bottlecaps etc), pebbles, dried plant matter, etc. when I travel, and my most loved sends me the same when they travel. Until a few years ago I had wrappers from food items from childhood, old clothes etc. I finally threw it out. I didn’t have room for it, it was a tad strange and I can’t justify it by saying I’m saving it for children because I don’t want any. I DO still have my collection of cd wrappers/receipts. i have been known to buy two copies of a cd so I can have one for display and one to use. Needless to say, I don’t anymore because I don’t have the money and it is ridiculous! I finally opened a few of them to make myself stop being so silly, and because my friend gil trashed my other copies. there..I may add to my geekiness list later..

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

Luna Blu- My husband’s name is Patrick…he acts like the cartoon also. Lol

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I am a total Jean Luc Picard FREAK. I find that man so sexy!

I don’t know what it is; I think it’s his stiff sense of propriety, his untarnished pride in his race, his unrelenting quest to unveil the true meaning of morality and honor throughout his many travels. His cool confidence and surprising array of talents and sensitivities. He’s such a renaissance man.

I also LOOVE Riker. That man knows how to mount a chair.

HAHA! Moth, you’re a riot.

I like Patrick Stewart, too. He’s SO not my usual type, but there’s something there. Did you see him in Excalibur? Speaking of geekness, that’s my alltime favorite movie and it is just SO bad. Heh. But awesome. He was in Dune. He’s just so very straight-laced that you have to wonder if there’s some kind of depraved sex machine under all that propriety. Or maybe that’s just me… hehe… ;o)

Riker always gave me the creeps. He’s like a used car salesman or something. To each his (ahem, her) own, I guess.

Jen – Ha ha ha! I REALLY like HB too, but i think i would get hurt being his GF! I mean physically. He is a bit of a big lug. A loveable lug though!! I think part of his appeal is that he is a big, tough, mean… sweetiepie!! Big heart of gold. And he loves kittens! Sooooo cute!!

MOTH - I used to love Riker, but he looks very much like my ex. and i hate him now! Him and my ex!!!! Jean Luc…. ooooh Jean Luc!!!

• I love LOTR!!!!! My best friend and I tried to learn elvish in the seventh grade lol. My nickname in junior high was tree herder! ( I was a tall and very awkward kid k!) I grew up on Star wars! That movie turned me into a hardcore GEEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!! OMG stargate and stargate atlantis rock. I like star trek in small doses but I hate William shatner. He couldn’t act his way out of a wet paper bag! Oh and Buffy and Angel and Battlestar and smallville and supernatural… And I used to watch Hercules and Xena warrior princess with my dad. I blame him for my nerd hood cause he’s a straight hill billy trekkie computer programmer/hacker FOR FUN!!!! Oh and CRONICLES OF NARNIA OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I could go on FOREVER! I also write fantasy myself and used to write star wars and lotr fanfiction in my spare time. NERDS UNITE!!! OH AND X-MEN AND BATMAN AND SILVER SURFER AND SPIDER MAN AND FANTASTIC FOUR AND SONIC THE HEDGEHOG…( I grew up with an older brother) I could go on and on here people. Luna you got me started on SOMETHING BAAAAAADD! :)

Hmmm… a big, tough, mean(seeming) sweetiepie. That’s my HUSBAND. Now my infatuation with HB makes sense! Haha… ;o)

Jen – I kinda figured that was where it may have been coming from!! Same with me. Big, tough, stalwart and true, with a big heart and crazy sense of humour. That is my man and that is why I fall for these type of dudes as well!! MMMMMM yummy!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

maxinatux—I love the Ted Dekker books!!! They’re so awesome. My brother loves them too. Frank Peretti is also relaly good, and the Narnia books, and LoTR (books) I LUV READING <3>

• Shows/movies/comics – Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Dr Who, Fables, Tank Girl, X-Men, Pirates of Coney Island, The Witching, and many more

People – William Gibson, Philip Dick, Stephen Hawking and some others

Anime – Neon Gensis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagan, Blood +, Fooley Cooley, Efien Lied, Serial Experiments Lain and some more

• Shows/movies/comics – Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Dr Who, Fables, Tank Girl, X-Men, Pirates of Coney Island, The Witching, and many more

People – William Gibson, Philip Dick, Stephen Hawking and some others

Anime – Neon Gensis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagan, Blood +, Fooley Cooley, Efien Lied, Serial Experiments Lain and some more

Went to see Ironman this past weekend. AWESOME!!!! and yes, Ironman is my new avatar. What a geek I am!!