Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Okay, I need a ranch dressing substitute

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

For my daughter. She is 2, and LOVES the ranch. I’ve been giving her an organic ranch for her veggies, but I want to move the kids over to more raw. She is the hardest to crack though. My boys who are 8, completely understand the reasoning for eating healthful foods, and will make really awesome food choices, or will NOT complain about needing to eat a salad before having some pretzels or something. My daughter will FIGHT until she gets sent to her room.

I want a recipe that does not require fermented stuff, and will not take 4 days to make. I guess if it is the ONLY way to make a ranch, I guess I will just have to stop whining, and just make some this way.. If I could get her eating her veggies in a dip that has a purpose for the body.. AHHH.. I couldn’t get her to try the smoothie I made this morning, and she put up a HUGE fight over it, and got sent to her room twice. She came out, and politely asked for a sandwich, and I said no. She SCREAMED again. She came back out, and then asked for carrots and ranch. I gave her some plain carrots, and told her she could have some ranch if she tried the smoothie. She just ate her carrots plain. LOL

Comments

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hi saraw… I’m sorry, I don’t have a raw ranch recipe for you, but I wanted to say I totally sympathize with the terrible two’s you’ve got going on! Heh… I remember those power struggles well. My son’s terrible two’s lasted until he was 5, ack! ;o)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

got one for you—oh, no it’s Mock Blue Cheeze Dressing from G. Cousens. here it is—I’ve got so many i will keep looking. 1C sesame seeds, soaked 4 hrs 1/2 c water 1/2 c parsley 1/4 c olive oil 1/3 c lemon juice 1T dill 1T oregano 1T basil 1 1/2t sea salt Blend all or add chopped herbs at the end.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Cracked Pepper & Lemon Ranch by Renee Underkoffler 1/2 C raw cashews soaked 1 hr, 1/4 c pine nuts, 1/2 c lemon juice,1 T lemon zest, 2T apple cinder vinegar,1 clove garlic,2T nutritional yeast (i never add it), 1T black pepper, 1t sea salt, 2C water. Blend!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I make a Ranch variation all the time. Cashews and/or macadamia nuts, garlic, salt, lemon juice, water, olive oil, some fresh cracked pepper, oregano, dill, a little onion. It’s creamy and delicious. Sorry I don’t have measurements, never use them.

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

You could also try using an avocado for the creamy base and blending in the spice combinations from these other recipes (but I guess it would be green so maybe it wouldn’t look real enough!)

• I tried the one IZHPT posted above and my nine year old loved it. I added some dill and left out the apple cider vinegar and salt. Also only used 1 C of water as I like mines to be thick.

Hope this helps, my kid started to dislike smoothies after having them for 3 months str8. Instead of using water for the base, try to use all juice. I usually sqeeze some a cup of tangerine, grapefruit, or navel orange whichever ones I have on hand.. This makes the smoothie more tangy and sweet kind of like drinking a starburst..

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I do that for my teens in the am, Ardes. The oldest actually tried asparagus for the first time tonight—steamed. he liked it and did not expire to the best of my knowledge. There is hope. The little vegan ate an entire bunch of asparagus for dinner. Anything that makes your pee smell is wicked fun! Between that and flushing the toilet with recycled shower water—it was quite an evening over here!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I’m excited to try the ranch someday – my son loves ranch, too.

tangerine does sound like drinking a starburst – yum!

• I don’t have a recipe, though I’m going to try the ones suggested. I’ve been looking since I went vegan for a good Ranch recipe without soy, (son is intolerant to soy), so those recipes look great! If those don’t go over well with her, even finding a recipe for Vegan Ranch seems more healthful than the kind with dairy. Try transitioning her by adding a bit of the raw ranch to her ‘regular’ ranch, bit by bit, so she gets used to the flavour. Also, getting her to help make the ranch may get her excited to have it. My kids get excited when they get to help make food. It is especially easy to get a two year old to help put things in a blender.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

veganmomma – mixing the 2 to get used to the flavor is such a great idea! :) I may try that with nut milk for my son.