Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Spirulina...

It tastes like lake-fish scales. Perhaps mine is just a bad batch or from a bad place. I am not a picky person, but I gag when I try to get it down. It Is fine if I make a smoothie and add in a LITTLE. But there has to be a way to get a decent amount in my body without losing everything else I have eaten. ew. I am pretty sure it is the reason my body was wary of green juices for a few days(I had a shot of spirulina/barley grass one night and ate fruits&naughties for two days). Any ideas, or will I get used to this horror?

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I’m about to order E3Live, which is an algae. I don’t have any experience with it, but thought – have you tried adding a couple drops of flavored agave? I noticed that they sell E3Live with a mint agave flavor and it seems like a decent option if you’re having trouble.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I didn’t use agave, just plain mint tisane. Thank You very much!! Oh how that mint helped. I still only got 1/2 a teaspoon down, but something is better than nothing. I put bits into my smoothies too, so it adds up. Again, thank you it was a brilliant idea. :) I can force myself to eat just about anything, but that was terrible plain. I may end up LIKING it, with the iced mint tea though.

• Here’s how I get 1 Tablespoon down each morning: 1/4 cup water in a jar with a lid (I use an old mayo jar) Add 1 T Spirulina Cover & shake vigorously for 5-10 seconds. Let bubbles rise to top (10 seconds) and take off lid Now put a straw all the way to the bottom, don’t breathe- now sip fast! Stop before you get to the bubbles, don’t breathe. Now chew on a mint leaf or have our toothbrush/toothpaste standing by for an immediate brushing. Now breathe! I promise- this gets better the longer you do it. I don’t even brush or eat mint anymore. I GET SICK WITH WHEATGRASS but not this! God luck!

Using less water is a good idea, it’d be less to drink! I can chug, but 1tsp. in a cup of water made me never want to eat again. Apparently it gets better. The mint is a good cover for now. I did feel amazing after I took it, it was just the taste. I’ll be taking some more in a bit. Thanks for the idea. Simple as it sounds, I hadn’t thought of it and it will surely help until that unimagineable moment comes that I decide I like it. :)

I just had a flash of a vibe, that I think came from you, and it was nice. I couldn’t even begin to describe it, or even analyse it properly when it came. I’ll shut up now.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I think gagging is a good sign your body doesn’t want it.

I can’t get maca down my throat without gagging and vomiting so I gave up on it.

I have been experimenting with green algae, and I think that it is best for me to have them just now and again, and very high quality. They are really strong and I get a big reaction from them. I felt nauseau all the time, the first 2-3 weeks I tried blue green and crystal manna – two types of algae.

I think maybe sometimes the body just wants to take the detox slow and not rush into a huge thing…

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I hear ya on the maca front…reminds me of FEET! However, I actually came up with a smoothie recipe that I could sneak the maca into and didn’t detect it…I posted the recipe on my blog sometime back in april.

Anyway…the green stuff. I like E3-Live and I LOVE Vitamineral Green. When I started using Vitamineral Green…THAT was when I really noticed a difference from taking a green-whole-food-type-supplement. I’ve tried so many, including straight spirulina but never noticed anything beneficial. However, I fell in love with Vitamineral Green :)

Cheers! Kristen’s Raw

www.KristensRaw.com

www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

Mine was due to taste, not that my body didn’t like the reaction. It loved the way it made it feel, it just didn’t enjoy the flavour. I think tongues are deceiving. Today, a full teaspoon, no problems. AHH it feels good in the body.

• oh yeah, after opening up my first bottle of spirulina I knew I’d have to hide it in smoothies in little amounts. the smell is way ew – i can just imagine what it tastes like! I give you guys credit for trying to get more of it in your diet!