Turmeric Root

I found some fresh turmeric root in the “mostly” organic and natural grocery store that I work in. How do you prepare it and what kind of recipes can they be used in? How does it taste fresh? Can you bite it? Any info would be appreciated!

Comments

• Samilicious…pickle them. Here’s the procedure…Remove skin, cut into small pieces. Put them in a glass jar, fill it with lime juice until they are completely submerged and add salt (sea-salt is good or himalayan pink salt even better). Shake and preserve. This stays fresh for atleast a month in refirgerator. Eat a Tablespoon of this mixture before lunch or dinner.

This is supposed to boost your immunity and enhance your digestion.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I know I just read a recipe elsewhere with turmeric, but I cannot remember where. I will post it if I find it.

I would be experimenting with raw indian food if I had some. I may experiment without the fresh though. I have been meaning to.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

Can’t believe I missed the “Red Cow” recipe! And that pickle recipe looks awesome too!

tggoesraw- after picking them, when are they ready to be eaten? After a month? And what is the least amount of salt that can be added? I’m not really a salt fan.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I never add salt when I pickle. Partially because at the moment there is no where to buy raw salt close by. I just use citrus juice or 9 parts vinegar 1 part water and refridgerate it. I have used 3/4 vinegar 1/4 water as well. I suppose this will be what I will research today…the least amouint of vinegar and salt required to pickle…..

• there is also a recipe for turmeric juice on here that I tried and it’s good. Also, you could peel and dehydrate it, then grind it up to make fresh, raw, turmeric powder to use as a spice in flavoring indian or asian food.

• samilicious- It’s ready to eat from next day. Add only as much salt as you like.