Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

coconut flakes

Is unsweetened organic coconut flakes a good thing to eat? I bought some from amazon because it is said to be a good source of fiber and some minerals.

Let’s Do Organic Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Shredded-...=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1209524364&sr=8-2

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

yeah of course! The magic property in the mature coconut is the fat. It is composed of medium chain fatty acids which are used as energy and are not stored in the body.

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

Coconut flakes are cool. I think they’re good in smoothies and in salad and on most other things. They are saturated fat though and are still capable of raising cholesterol levels even though not necessarily at the same rate or detrimental levels as other saturated fats. So don’t subsist off them entirely. haha.

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Unrefined coconut oil doesn’t raise cholesterol so I don’t think the flakes would either.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Animal fat raises cholesterol not plants or fruits… Huuurrrraaay for coconuts, Enjoy them frequently!!!

• Sorry to tell you guys, but shredded coconut isn’t raw (unless you grate it yourself, of course! I personally only know one company selling it raw, but it’s German… Maybe you know and just don’t care, then sorry for bothering you! ;) Coco blessings and Love!

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

It’s been shown in several studies that coconut oils can raise overall cholesterol levels when compared with polyunsaturated fat oils; but the makeup of the lipids is less dangerous than that of other saturated fat sources. The pool to pull from in comparison research between these types of fat sources is low, but there has been some contradictory findings, however not nearly as much proving the opposite. Most studies showing high-coconut consuming populations have lower risk of heart disease were done on populations that live in tropical areas and subsist on a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, grains, and low in other sources of fat – which contributes to overall health. Epidemiological studies are useful but have shortcomings when used like this.

• stibizi,

Some raw food sites sell coconut flakes. Are they not raw?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Wilderness Family Naturals brand is raw, dehydrated coconut flakes.