Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

nutrient search

bittbitt Raw Newbie

http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/nutrient-search

This is a cool little feature I found when I was looking for listing of ingredients in certain ingredients. They have more than the average list, and you can compare quantities of certain nutrients raw and cooked.

This link shows the nutrient lost on processing food: freezing, cooking, etc.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/topics/processing#...

this is mainstream but it confirms that raw foods are great for you!

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

pretty neat site, thank you:-)

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

Cool resource. But here’s a question…that table of nutrient loss shows nutrient loss for drying, too. Granted, there are lots of different conditions under which something could be dried, and this table shows “typical maximum” nutrient loss for foods as a whole so I don’t know how much it applies to any one food, but here’s what I noticed. For many of the vitamins, MORE nutrients are lost when drying than when cooking! (But there are exceptions, like folate, and it looks like no minerals are destroyed in drying, only in cooking.) So what can we take from this? Is dehydrating really a viable alternative to cooking?

(Of course, this table just lists common vitamins and minerals and there are PLENTY of other things in our food that may or may not be lost in any of these processes!)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Most “drying” is done at higher temperatures – so dried foods have been heated (cooked) for a long time to dry them out. Don’t know how you would find out about low temp dehydrating.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

about dehydration. it’s definitely not going to get you the ultimate amount of nutrition from whatever you are drying. it’s preferable to cooking for sure because it does LESS damage, but there’s no comparison to fresh. dehydration has an important role because it jazzes our food up a bit, and so the transition between processed to pure is nicely bridged…

and yes, commercial drying is done at high temps, so not only would you be killing the enzymes and nutrients, you’d be doing it really slowly, allowing the food to sit for a very long time before it is eventually eaten.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Neat website… haven’t checked it all out.

I wouldn’t think the website considers germinated or sprouted nuts, grains, and seeds… they are quite nutrient dense. If they just give you nutrient information from raw, dormant nuts… then, you probably have to multiply that amount by 2 or 4 for germinated nuts. Not to mention… nutrient content also depends on organic vs. conventional… and what soil it grows in.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yes, it is not perfect but the best i have been able to find online at least.

they have some info for sprouted seeds…not enough of course.