Ack, hair loss, help!

I’m afraid I may be losing an abnormal amount of hair. I’ve been noticing this for some time (before attempting to transition into raw) and I’m some what concerned about the hair I’m shedding. What could cause this? Am I lacking some vitamin or nutrient? Are there any things I could do to prevent unwarranted hair loss? Any suggestions on what I could do to stop my hair from falling out?

Comments

• It sounds like you may be nutritionally deficient in some aspect of your diet. Have you seen the M.D.lately and have you had your blood levels checked? You can also be suffering from alopecia. I would start with my primary doc and see what they say. You need to find out what is causing it to fall out in order to prevent it. Good Luck

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Check out the hair threads in the Health and Beauty section.

Specifically this one: http://www.goneraw.com/forums/7/topics/4372

I posted a list of the nutrients need for good hair – make sure you are getting those.

Some people who go raw notice an increased amount of hair loss and than it stops and grows back thicker and better than ever. Just eat the good foods for hair (see thread I posted) and hang in there – It will grow back!

• Thanks queenfluff for the forum link. I read the entire thing. So, apparently I need to start taking MSM. In the forum, you listed some other nutrients that are essential to healthy hair growth, such as: sulphur, silicon, vitamin A, zinc, iron, manganese, vitamin C, selenium, and vitamin E… is there any sort of multivitamin that I could take that would provide me with sufficient amounts of all these nutrients? I know the issue with a lot of multivitamins is that they seem to include so many different nutrients, just not in plentiful amounts, rendering them some what worthless… Are there any supplements I could take that would help me out with my vitamin deficiency? I just can’t be shoving every edible thing in sight down my throat in an attempt to get all these nutrients, and enough of these nutrients at that. Hemp seeds were mentioned quite often, so I think I will be getting some of those, and I’ll be looking for the OptiMSM. But if there are any other vitamins/nutrient sources that could help me out, please let me know, I’d appreciate it! Oh, and scalp massages… how does one exactly go about that; just simply massage my head with my fingers? And for how long… 10 minutes a day, 20 minutes a day, etc? Any way, thank you so much for the information!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

rawbeginner – I would advice against supplements because honestly for the most part the real food works better. There is some doubt whether or not supplements even work. If you can find a supplement that is more like a powder instead of some hard pill, that would be preferable. I don’t take any supplements myself – just MSM powder.

The foods I mentioned were just example for what you could eat – you don’t have to eat all of them honestly. If you ate a nice salad with arulaga, cukes, spinach, some olives or olive oil and some hemp seeds – you would have a pretty nutritious hair salad. It doesn’t have to be super huge. Don’t feel like you have to stuff your face.

I think you will find that the Hemp Seeds (there is also a powder you can use to put it your smoothies) and the MSM with help you alot (make sure to take the MSM with Vitamin C – you can use CamuCamu powder or Goji Berry powder if you don’t want to eat a bunch of food – they are both very high in Vitamin C and you won’t need much powder.)

For the scalp massages, yes, you can just use your fingers: There are two ways you can do it. You can place your fingertips on your scalp and push your scalp skin around – you want to create a warmth in your scalp which means the blood is flowing up there – that is what you want. The other way is to rub you fingertips across your scalp (be gentle)until you get the warm sensation. You can also use an electric one too. I would recommend at least 15 minutes a day but if you can’t do that than even a minute is better than no massage at all. The point is to get the blood flowing to your scalp – any exercise that does that is good.

I honestly never felt that hair vitamins did anything for my hair when i used to take them – the scalp massages were my godsend.