Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

gardening - how to use veggies

angie207angie207 Raw Master

I know there have been garden topics before, but I’m wondering – what do you guys do with all the veggies? I want to try growing new veggies but I’m not sure what I’ll do with all the cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, etc. – I just don’t want to grow a bunch of compost. ;)

Comments

• In my expirience, you always find a way. Throwing out food is hard enough but, throwing away the veggies that you loved and have watched grow is even harder. Even it if means giving them away to your neighbors.

If for some reason you do have to compost your harvest, don’t worry. It will feed your soil and make the veggies taste even better next year.

Go for it and grow a garden!

James

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Thanks – my son wants to try to sell the veggies to neighbors, but most of our neighbors grow their own gardens, and sometimes it’s hard to even give some of the stuff away! :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

whenever i juice a cucumber i think: if i had an abundance of cucumbers i’d drink this instead of water. you’d be in a pretty cool fix in my book.

also, you can dehydrate them and use them in the winter in cracker, bread and veggie pattie recipes.

i’m sure there are some shelters that would JUMP at the offer.

pianissima – thanks for the ideas; I have sometimes thought it would be great to drink cucumber juice as much as I wanted, and the shelter idea is great! There is a food & care coalition where I used to volunteer – people can go there for a free meal – and I’m sure they would love it. Fabulous!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Well whatever you don’t want/use you could sell at a farmers market, or donate to a local homeless shelter. I thought of this as well. I think most of my extras will go to family, otherwise I’ll give it to a homeless shelter. But with the way it keeps frosting and heating back and forth, it looks like my garden won’t be producing much this year. :( I have sat down and tried to figure out how often I eat which vegetables, which are most expensive, and plan out how many plants I would need. I would take any and all excess cucumbers off your hands if I lived close. I love them. :P But it seems like dehydrating for winter food, or saving them for next years seeds will take care of excess. and if you lived where I do you’d have ants and rabbits to take them off your hands.

Now this has given me an idea. I should plant extras to make sure I have enough for donating and droughts. I know I had considered what to do with extras “IF” they happened, but I will MAKE it happen. Extras are never extras. there is always someone who wants/needs them.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

pianissima beat me to it. lol

Thanks, guys! Now that you mention it, maybe I will plant “extra” on purpose:)

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

make a veggie juice – juice all of them! everything you listed would make a fantastic juice and sounds like what I make on a regular basis.

newbie – I guess I’m kind of a fraidy-cat – green bean juice sounds ick, but then I’ve never tried it…:)

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

put them all together – add carrots, beets, sweet potato, and maybe oranges and you’ll have a yummy and nutritious juice ;-) save the pulp for the compost pile

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i wish i lived near you! i never grow enough to have extra (but I live in the city).

I feel very fortunate to live where I do with my parents now and have the space. Before here, I lived in an apartment with no place for even one plant! :) Thanks for reminding me how good life is. :)