Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

i was tricked!

bittbitt Raw Newbie

In the grocery store, I walked up to a sample guy. Usually I stay far away but this was in a fairly raw-friendly grocery store. They even have living tree stuff.

So the sample was this “coconut bliss” ice cream substitute. I had never heard of it. I read all the ingredients and it seemed raw. I took one bite of it and it was good. Then I asked the guy, “so this is raw, right?” I surely thought he would say yes. Then he said NO due to the pasteurization of the coconut milk. YIKES! It was such a small sample I ate the next bite. Then he said “but a lot of raw foodists cheat on this.” (probably because he saw the look of horror on my face.)

Am I impure now? Am I back to square one? Have I undone all the good I have done in the last 3 weeks? Later I ate a raw maca truffle…does that make up for it? grrr…I shouldn’t have been so naive.

Comments

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

It was only a bite. You’re definitely not back to square one. :-) Just keep eating raw, and don’t worry!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Anyone else hear the sirens? They are getting louder! OMG… I think the raw food secret commandos are coming to take bitt away! We’ll find you and free you as soon as you poop out that offending coconut bliss. Won’t we folks? 8o)

If you drank a quart of San Onofre nuclear waste water, you have something to be concerned about. A few spoonfuls of pasteurized coconut milk? Nah! Listen to MOTH, she’s got good advice.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Things like that happen a lot. No worries. :) I often have to go tell the managers/employees at my health food store that this or that item does not belong in the raw food section. The guy at one of the stores was telling me that yes it was raw, because it said “cacao” and the non-raw stuff is “cocoa” :D I had to explain to him that cacao is just the bean, and that a lot of companies are using the “cacao” label to make it sound more healthy, and then I politely pointed out where it said on the back of the package that this cacao was roasted to bring out its flavor… Another product was cacao & goji, but it had chocolate liquor (not raw) and SUGAR! Yet the managers at the store saw that it was Himalayan cacao & goji and I guess they assumed it was raw and put it with their raw foods. Maybe they should hire me to be the “raw food police” for their store;) heeheee

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hahaha bluedolphin!

definitely no big deal!

last december i thought i’d be polite and taste a dish my mom’s friend swore was just green beans and garlic from a chines take-out place. i’m eating it and going “this is ok” when my brother goes “i think this has beef in it.” yes, the “garlic” was beef. i wanted to die!! (serves me right trying to be polite and having cooked food!)

does pasteurized coconut milk sound better to you now? =)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

haha, the garlic was beef – crazy mistake! i can top that. when i went vegetarian at age 15, my mom would buy me imitation crab and she told me it was vegetarian. i ate it on a number of occasions – and I didn’t find out until 5 years later that it was actually FISH!!!

OMG! OMG! More raw food secret commandos are being dispatched.

Hide pianissima!

Hide Winona!

winona—you win. ick!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

my folks used to cook rice dishes with meat in them all the time. i had to pick out the meat pieces from stews, ground beef from rice, etc. after a year i went to college and i was actually relieved by dorm food. vegetarian is an abstract concept for some people, i guess.

bluedolfin – you can’t prove that i cheated! that nonraw salad dressing at lunch today is gone! no one knows about that! oops…

LOL… Winona~ I guess your confession is not admissible in the raw food court… you confessed before being given your raw food rights. Yippee!!! That was a close one. ;)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i guess since i am severely allergic to wheat and eating a little bit can make me violently ill i was expecting something more dramatic. i thought it was funny how he encouraged me to get it and “cheat” because it tasted raw.

yes… who did he think you were cheating on? if YOU were doing the eating, and ALSO the same person who wanted to be raw, then who exactly was going to be fooled here?

bitt~ Being allergic to something is a “physiological” event and as you know can be life threatening. There are many people that contribute to this site that are not 100% raw and are incorporating “more raw” for improved wellness. The way I look at it is that there is an “eating for wellness” continuum… On one end is totally not supporting my health goals eating (lab produced food, all ingredients made in a test tube). On the other end totally supporting my health goals eating. I look to see averaging towards supporting health goals. If I see I am averaging the other way, it indicates something is going on with me that is not inline with what I have set for myself.

Sometimes you may find you have eaten something not inline with your health goals whether it be knowingly or not knowingly. Be kind to yourself. It’s an ever flowing process. You may also eat something raw that your body will negatively react to. Take note and move on. It also might be that at a future time that same food supports health for you because there was a shift in your body. Keep learning. Keep exploring. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yeah. it is pretty different for me because i’ve always gone 100% into my new diets, like when I went vegan. it was awful for me to have eaten even a little animal product. because I felt so bad about it. and with wheat, same thing but physical response. so with raw i am less dogmatic about it but i still have the same frustrations with labeling, etc. like how can people label nuts raw in the store if they are not???!!! it pisses me off and I keep accidentally buying the wrong nuts because I can’t keep track of which are raw and which are not. I should probably plan better, but I pretty impulsive at times. I guess this is all part of the process and learning new things. most of it has been great, but this is a more frustrating part.

the other part for me is that i have been so ill and i have been trying so hard to get better than i don’t want to accidentally slip up and get sicker. i know it’s not exactly like that, but i feel like i have a lot riding on this. i have tried so many things, almost every alternative method out there and this is kinda my last shot. not that i would give it up if it didn’t work because i am feeling better in other ways that i could not even imagine. but i have just got to hope that this will get rid of my severe pain eventually. i just have to hope that we are what we eat.

bitt~ Congratulations on being committed to improving your wellbeing!

One misconception about wellbeing is that there is some magic to it or some big way to really screw up. No magic… Pretty simple. Good cells make good tissue. Good tissue make good organs. Good organs make good wellbeing. Give the body what it needs, get rid of toxins, and the body will heal, repair, and maintain itself. Pretty magnificent machine! Nothing is set in stone. If what you are doing isn’t supporting your wellness goals, explore something else. One plan does not fit all. We are all way to different.

One of the most important aspects for improving wellbeing is a sense of peace. Stressing over whatever is doing more damage then eating a Big Mac and fries. Make a sign for yourself to the effect of…

My only slip up would be to drink a quart of San Onofre nuclear waste water. Anything other than that, no problem. My next meal will be healthy. :)

To your wellness…

PS. Many people start out in the same place you are… soon you will be the one supporting a newbie over the fear. :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

hahaha nothing to worry about bitt! I little coconut milk? Gosh, I don’t think that would matter in the least bit.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Bluedolfin,

Your posts are GREAT! Thanks for the dose of sanity. I’ve been a little concerned of late to see so many posts sounding so rigid and unforgiving. Why oh why are we so unkind to ourselves? Raw foods are part of a terrific change in eating habits but if a saner diet is not accompanied by a saner soul there’s gonna be a logjam. Sheesh.And I am speaking from personal experience.

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

I agree wholeheartedly with Marichiesa, great posts Bluedolfin. I really enjoy reading and learning from all of your posts.

bitt that little amount of pasteurized coconut milk is barely a blip, continue to forge ahead with all the good you are doing your body :)

• so uh, last night i ate chinese food & ben and jerry’s. i am definitely impure.

i surrender to the mercy of the raw food police…

Marichiesa and AKAAuburnEyes~ I humbly thank you for your kind words. I’m simply paying forward the difference many people have made with me. It’s nice to know I’m making a difference… you made a difference with me.

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

:)

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

i have a story about coconut bliss ice cream: after my 30 days 100% raw challenge i bought chocolate coconut bliss ice cream for a treat. i opened the ice cream and ended up eating the entire thing. that was about 8pm and i was up until almost 4am running to the bathroom, i got so sick, that’s one way to kill a craving. i am no longer interested. i too was under the impression it was raw.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

thanks heartshapedsky. good thing i did not buy it, i might have done the same thing! we made raw brownies instead.

thanks for all the words of wisdom everyone!