Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Honey

I thought that honey wasn’t considered vegan, but I see quite a few recipes calling for it.

Comments

• Isn’t it kind of in the same category as maple syrup and nama shoyu (is that spelled right?)? You know, not technically raw, but lots of rawbies use it?

• Thanks for the clarification

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

you CAN get truely raw honey, but obviously it isn’t vegan.

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

At Juiliano’s raw dinner last night in Portland, he was raving about “raw honey”, bee pollen, and propylis (sp?). He was claiming that to take honey from bee hives is actually a humane thing because it saves 30% of the bee population from over-eating themselves to death.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Many people use honey because it isn’t harmful to your health like dairy and eggs are. Some vegans aren’t that strict and eat honey, wear leather and wool etc. I guess it comes down to whether you’re vegan for health or moral/ethical reasons. Here in the UK it is more common to be vegan for moral reasons than health, so most UK vegans don’t eat honey, but I have noticed that a lot of USA vegans are doing it for health, and they love their honey ;)

• i heard david wolfe say in an interview “honey is the most spiritual food”...

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I choose my sweeteners based on their purity. Really Raw honey is raw (not vegan) and in my opinion freely given. The little bees say—”ooh!lzhpt. Look what we made for you!” Now maple syrup—not at all raw, but truly pure—might damage the poor tree.:( Agave—I’ve not been happy with the raw Madhava product lately. It’s not raw and it’s coming from so far away, it could be cut with anything including the worst, high fructose corn sweetener! Dates—hmm. a little dry in spring and summer when out of season and maybe a little wormy then also. I love them in fall and winter. This brings me back to Really Raw honey! “Yum. Thank you, little bee.” I think I need to make the caramel sauce with raw honey and post about that.

• My father used to keep bees. When he harvested the honey he would always make sure the bees had enough to keep them going through the winter. In my mind, this is a bee friendly approach. I believe the controversy comes from the commercial beekeepers who strip all of the honey from the hives and then feed them corn syrup and icing sugar during the winter – poor little bees :( I would say that as long as they are not deprived then we should not feel guilty about sharing a little bit.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

For me, the idea of veganism doesn’t include honey. But, it is certainly one of those ingredients that differs in definition from person to person. Perhaps, if one eats honey, they are a BEE-gan :)

This topic reminds me of one from a while ago…here’s the link.