Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

where to get nama shoyu?

rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

I’m from a small town with only one health food store that does not believe in fermentation, so they don’t carry nama shoyu (which i assume is raw soy sauce). i’m wondering if there is a good on line source for it or if there is a good substitute?

Comments

• I haven’t ordered from them before but these are 2 that I found

RawGuru

Rawganique

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

kindaraw – I’m pretty sure I have ordered it from www.sunfoods.com and www.alissacohen.com until I discovered it was at my health food store all along. Many raw foodists use it, but I’ve heard here that it’s not raw, just unpasteurized. Tastes like an amazing soy sauce.

• Whole Food stores also carry nama shoyu, however, living in a small town I realize that might be out of reach.

We have ordered from www.rawguru.com before and have had no problems. We order from them often.

Here is some information on nama shoyu, bragg’s liquid aminos, and tamari sauce. Any of them could be used. None of them are really considered raw. And I believe those with certain health issues use Tamari sauce. They cannot use nama shoyu or bragg’s liquid aminos. But all three do contain soy, which takes us back to the soybean issues.

The following was in the

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

I hear you simplyraw. I’m way into kelp noodles now and they just go so darned well with the flavor of soy! great information…thank you!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Raw Nama Shoyu – punnet of mushrooms plus 2 cloves garlic plus splash olive oil plus 1/2 to 1 teasp salt…massage together and leave to marinade. The liquid that comes out of it is exactly like Nama shoyu, and you get some tasty mushrooms to munch on too, it’s a win win thing!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi Zoe, you have some great substitutes… is there a substitute for Nama Shoyu without mushrooms? Or how about a substitute for mushrooms?

I recently learned about our umami taste buds… these taste buds taste savory, brothy, meaty flavors in some foods… they also ‘detect’ MSG (which is why people like it). So, turns out, mushroom is ‘king of umami’... (btw, that’s not to say they have MSG) so, how can I find a substitute for that? Or the ‘meatiness’ it gives? Tough one… I know.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Anyone? Yeah, I thought the ‘mushroom’ substitute would be a tough one. (see prev. post) Well, I’m making raw hot dogs right now… it uses Braggs… but boy do they taste like hot dogs and even have the same color as hot dogs… reminds me of Loma Linda’s Big Franks (a vegan cooked hot dog).